GTAV

Astro Hollywood

Neil was taking the piss though, wasn't he?

Oh :( Well, might explain why TDU wasn't a massive success. Personally I find cruising (not the mikey type) a lot of fun in sandbox games.

The bit in San Andreas when you complete Truth's final mission and have to drive him to San Fierro along those gorgeous mountain roads in his psychedelic van whilst Horse With No Name plays in the background was a seminal GTA moment for me. Actually it's just occured to me this is going to be my first GTA experience not under the influence of a dustbin sack full of grass. Even with a big fuck off HDTV, it won't be the same I fear...

• Paid Members

Yep, sure I've mentioned it before in this thread, but I loved how in San Andreas it was set up so that depending on where you were, different stations were more likely to be playing when you jacked a car.

For me, much as people go on about Vice City's music, nothing's going to beat Radio X:

Helmet - "Unsung" (1992)

Depeche Mode - "Personal Jesus" (1989)

Faith No More - "Midlife Crisis" (1992)

Danzig - "Mother" (1988)

Living Colour - "Cult of Personality" (1988)

Primal Scream - "Movin' on Up" (1991)

Guns N' Roses - "Welcome to the Jungle" (1987)

L7 - "Pretend We're Dead" (1992)

Ozzy Osbourne - "Hellraiser" (1991)

Soundgarden - "Rusty Cage" (1991)

Rage Against the Machine - "Killing in the Name" (1992)

Jane's Addiction - "Been Caught Stealing" (1990)

The Stone Roses - "Fools Gold" (1989)

Alice in Chains - "Them Bones" (1992)

Stone Temple Pilots - "Plush" (1992)

• Moderators

God, yeah, Radio X was brilliant. Although San Andreas also gave you the opportunity to 1) do drive-by shootings while listening to Snoop Dogg, and 2) fly over a crazy beautiful sunset (or on a wild police chase death-rampage) while Freebird was pumping out.

John, is this your first experience of GTA on a launch day?

edit: Let's have some GTA memories up in this mufucka, to tide us over until Tuesday. Best missions, missions that drove you up the fucking wall, best moments of online multiplayer.

My favourite UKFF-related GTA memory is Ralphy (I think) getting further and further behind the rest of us on SA, when he just couldn't do that one mission. Yeah, that one. All he had to do was follow the damn train :(

Edited by Astro Hollywood

One mission I can remember hating on San Andreas was the Zero mission where you had to fly that little plane that would always run out of fuel.

Truthfully I cannot recall if I ever did that mission, I think it was optional so after many failed attempts I just gave up on it.

• Moderators
Neil was taking the piss though, wasn't he?

Oh :( Well, might explain why TDU wasn't a massive success. Personally I find cruising (not the mikey type) a lot of fun in sandbox games.

The bit in San Andreas when you complete Truth's final mission and have to drive him to San Fierro along those gorgeous mountain roads in his psychedelic van whilst Horse With No Name plays in the background was a seminal GTA moment for me. Actually it's just occured to me this is going to be my first GTA experience not under the influence of a dustbin sack full of grass. Even with a big fuck off HDTV, it won't be the same I fear...

Yeah I was only somewhat joking. Long drives can be annoying, but they're also great. Hopefully with these distances nicking a plane/helicopter and then just parachuting out will be relatively easy.

Along the same lines as Ralphy, all the people that couldn't complete the flying missions. LOL @ u. Flightsim nerds own.

I also remember being so disappointed in the music in GTA4. So many awful stations. That russian radio station was so so bad. GTA4 was kind of shit in retrospect.

I had to get someone to do the missions where you had to fly a plane through rings at an airfield for me, did the first level or two but could never complete it.

Button masher spotted

Wrong Side Of The Tracks on GTA:SA made me unleash a barrage of swear words. Fifty attempts it took me. I remember Ralphy being all smug about beating it on #theukff, which depressed me further.

I'm really hoping Tesco have a midnight release. I asked them today, and told me they weren't too sure until two days before its out :(

Wrong Side Of The Tracks on GTA:SA made me unleash a barrage of swear words. Fifty attempts it took me. I remember Ralphy being all smug about beating it on #theukff, which depressed me further.

I'm really hoping Tesco have a midnight release. I asked them today, and told me they weren't too sure until two days before its out :(

Tesco have decided to leave it to individual store policy, no national guideline. But it will be available from midnight. I'm guessing, from previous launches, that there will be a pallet of them all ready to wheel out on the shop floor.

• Paid Members

I can't find it, but there's a video somewhere of 10 utterly bizarre ways of beating Wrong Side of The Tracks. I think I ended up grabbing the bike straight away (leaving Smoke behind), racing up as far ahead of the train as possible without triggering an auto-fail, going up a walkway to a railway bridge, ditching the bike and jumping on to the train, from which shooting the people dead was a piece of piss (as long as you remembered to duck before the bridge).

I think my favourite was the guy who found a rifle hidden somewhere and just rode ahead of the train and sniped the driver.

• Paid Members

Agree with Lister regarding the San Andreas music- it was better than Vice City. That's a hell of a feat when you look at what Vice City had- Emotion, Fever, Flash, Wave and the awesome Espantoso (which I still listen to every summer). Wildstyle was also good but I didn't care for V-Rock apart from a couple of tunes.

But San Andreas had SFUR (which for me blows every other GTA station out of the water), Radio X, Radio Los Santos, Bounce, Playback, K-DST and Master Sounds. I even liked CSR, K-JAH and K-Rose. Wow, not a station I didn't like, even I didn't realise it was that good!

In comparison, GTA4 was shit, but it was always going to be the case. Who wants to hear too many stations with modern music, eh?

• Paid Members

Shame they can't use the Internet connection so you can listen to real online stations. Admittedly very few people will get this reference, but the thought of driving round Los Santos while Brian Steele of Bristol Carpets does his Jack FM adverts is pretty tasty.