Biggest Wrestling Related Disappointment

garynysmon

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Nash's (non) WCW title run. Everything was all set up for a great reign and months of great television. Regardless of what revisionist history says, he was white hot, and had a line of ready made challengers to face... Scott Hall ("I didn't want or need your help", Bret Hart (who he'd never beat), and the big Wolfpack vs NWO blowoff match with Hogan. All of course leading up to Nash vs Goldberg 2, which would have done mega-business!.I was 10 at the time, I had dreams of good guy Nash taking on the world, instead I got a week of nothing, then Kev losing via a poke to the chest.It still hurts now..

The WCW "Invasion" angle of WWE in 2001. Couldn't have been booked any worse if they'd have tried.

Yeah it could. This fella did a DVD on how he'd do it, and it was the worst fantasy booking of all time:GB009_SITE_PAGE_2-572x978.png

One of the biggest WCW names to come in at the time was DDP and since when was he a stalker?

Since he wanted an upgrade from Kim.02.jpg

He was stalking Marty Feldman in a blonde wig? Each to his own...I think British Bulldog losing the European title to Shawn Michaels at One Night Only. Being in the audience and desperate for Bulldog to win for his cancer strickened sister and his home country, only for Shawn to steal a victory. Boo Shawn Boo.

• Paid Members

For me it's probably The Rock calling a day on his wrestling career and going to Hollywood full time. I don't blame him one bit, but from the purely selfish perspective of a wrestling fan it was a devastating loss to the business. It's not a stretch to say that wrestling simply hasn't been the same since The Rock stopped doing it. I was equally gutted when Austin stopped, but with Austin it was because he couldn't go anymore, whereas The Rock still had plenty left to offer.It's difficult to imagine what the WWE would have been like over the past 7-8 years since The Rock left, but if he had stuck around I can only believe that the business would be in a hell of a better place than it is right now.Botched feuds and angles will come up again and again in this thread, but ultimately there is nothing more disappointing than the biggest star in the business leaving whilst he still had so much more to offer.

• Paid Members

On a similar note for me it was when I heard Brock Lesnar was leaving. Since he debuted I was a massive mark for him, the period in 2002 where he was dominating Smackdown and was constantly the undisputed champ was the most I've ever enjoyed wrestling, I could happily have watched him in the title picture til now and beyond.I hope he comes back one day, I really haven't felt the same about wrestling since he left.

For me it's probably The Rock calling a day on his wrestling career and going to Hollywood full time. I don't blame him one bit, but from the purely selfish perspective of a wrestling fan it was a devastating loss to the business. It's not a stretch to say that wrestling simply hasn't been the same since The Rock stopped doing it. I was equally gutted when Austin stopped, but with Austin it was because he couldn't go anymore, whereas The Rock still had plenty left to offer.It's difficult to imagine what the WWE would have been like over the past 7-8 years since The Rock left, but if he had stuck around I can only believe that the business would be in a hell of a better place than it is right now.Botched feuds and angles will come up again and again in this thread, but ultimately there is nothing more disappointing than the biggest star in the business leaving whilst he still had so much more to offer.

I dunno, Rock was pretty played out by the time Lesnar beat him. Plus if he'd not gone to Hollywood, we wouldn't have had the fantastic Hollywood Rock run when he came back for a bit in 2003.

• Paid Members

Foley retires after losing to HHH in the cell only to come back out of shape and ruin it all at WM. I know wrestlers come back all the time but i had started feeling bad for mick in the lead up to the cactus turn, he looked a shadow of what i used to watch from ecw and japan. The battle at the rumble was awesome, HITC a little less so however i was happy that he went out on a high. WM was just awful.Raven is jobbed out in WWE and fired. I still dont get what he did wrong in his run, his 7 story line was great but for some reason he was never going to be given a chance. He was great WCW.WCW closes down forever. Even when shane was on i was thinking leave it running build up to some huge ass WCW vs WWE mega show. I could only imagine the greatness as stone cold turned up on nitro and rased hell. Or the Outsiders invade raw and bump into HHH. Vence and the whole AOL contract thing killed it before it ever took off

• Paid Members

I'd go with The Rock example. But another scenario that still leaves me scratching my head is when Orton goes all psycho on Vince, punts him, wins the Rumble and looks like an absolute megastar, only for Shane McMahon to come in and effectively derail his heat completely. It's like he still hasn't recovered from it and I just can't see him reaching those heights again anytime soon.

When I learnt that the DDT wasnt a move. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I know wrestling isnt real but some of the moves actually take strength and power to do and as a kid I thought it was the same for a ddt. Fast forward to going to a wrestling training learning basic moves and a ddt is just falling down on your your front while the other person drops on there back.

Honestly, my biggest disappointment ever will always be Hitman losing the title to Yokozuna. No letdown I have experienced as a smark can possibly be compared to the pain, misery and frustration of seeing, at the age of ten, my hero lose his title through nefarious means to a man I considered nothing more than a fat twat who sat on you in lieu of any actual wrestling talent.Slaying the unbeatable beast was supposed to be Bret's greatest achievement yet, and he was brought down by some salt. I couldn't understand it. Worst of all, he was demeaned further by his conquerer being subsequently squashed by that glory hound Hogan, who ten year old air raid had written off as a has been.Darkness, only darkness. Only learning how to masturbate a few weeks later stopped me from plunging into full-blown juvenile depression.

This exactly....

First thing that came to mind on seeing this thread was the Nexus angle, more specifically, SummerSlam 2010.The angle had been booked more or less perfectly up to SummerSlam for the big showdown, only for Cena to destroy any credibility they had. Nexus simply had to win that match for the good of the angle, and when they didnt, it completely killed the angle off, and it never really recovered. They somehow managed to nearly revive it at Survivor Series, but again, Barrett lost, Cena was fired for about a week, and it just faded out from there.It's probably my biggest let down in my 13 years of watching wrestling, I was so unbelievably hyped for that SummerSlam match, and for it to pan out the way it did was devastating, the fact the supposed higher power never came to fruition either was frustrating, it could have been so much more. Should have been.

• Paid Members

Probably the Invasion angle. Didn't see it coming initially and when RVD and Dreamer jumped the rail and later reunited with the other ECW/WCW Guys I almost shit myself with excitement. After watching all this I thought for hours what would come out of it, what big stars would we see on WWF tv, who of these would have runs at the title, who would team up with who... It was so fucking exciting. Then Invasion happened, the Alliance side was massively watered down, got jobbed out quickly and the likes of Goldberg, the nWo and the like had sod all to do with it. The rebirth of ECW on Sci-fi was fucking horrid too.

Archived