The Post A Pic Of Yourself Thread V2

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

388514_2743207309945_1550348259_32741362_957630648_n.jpg

Had my first visit in years to a "proper" cinema. Red velour seats, curtains over the screen that get even wider just before the feature starts, and box speakers on the walls.

The only thing missing was a woman coming round with a tray around her neck in the intermission and selling choc-ices. And the Pearl & Dean music.

• Paid Members

Ahhhhh... the Savoy. My mate's uncle used to manage it, so glad to hear that it's still open. They don't have the intermission for every film, but they definitely had it for some films this side of 2000. Loved going to see Harry Potter films there opening night for a couple of the movies - the staff all did the dress up.

• Paid Members

I can't understand some of the reviews I've seen online. "Waa waa waa, worst cinema ever, the screen is too small, not enough variety of sweets".Yeah, when they built the place nearly a century ago they should have been more considerate to those that would have 72" TVs at home in the future. They honour Orange Wednesdays too, so if you're a student (and it is situated in the middle of a load of student accomodation), you go with a mate and pay

• Paid Members

We still have one of these in Stockport. Real flea-pit but just has that cinema atmosphere that is missing from the multi's. they don't mug you if you take your own sweets in either.

• Paid Members

In Leeds we have the Hyde Park Picture House:

Hyde_Park_Picture_House.jpg

It was built in 1908 and is a listed building. Very old school "picture palace" style cinema in an Edwardian building with a little one man box office on the way in. They show a mixture of classics, world cinema, art house and occasional mainstream stuff. Cheap prices, discounts for students, they let you bring your own snacks and during events like the international film festival they give you a little voting slip to rate the film on your way out so that they can put well received films on again later in the month. I :love: the picture house.

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

All the old style cinema's in Cardiff have closed down or turned into pubs/gig venues/derelict bowling alleys. However, if you're ever hankering for the old Pearl and Dean music, Chapter Arts are one of the few remaining cinemas to still work with them.

• Moderators

Personally I was chuffed when the old Hippodrome in Wrexham closed, and later burned, down. The Odeon didn't fucking smell, and wasn't run by that child hating Barry Flanagan, nor did it have a bastard leaking chandelier which you'd worry would fall on your head and brain you, nor did it have Westlers' pissing burgers, nor adverts for Yorke Street Carpets where if you buy a new carpet, you get a free Hot Dog (Fucking value).The only good thing about the Hippodrome was throwing firecrackers on the floor in there during films.

Edited by ButchReedMark

• Paid Members

We had some great old cinemas in North Wales. I still remember handing my ticket money over to Peter Moore. Officially the creepiest cinema owner of all time. The fact he went on to be a serial killer who blamed Jason from Friday The 13th for his bumming/murder spree was a shock to no one that went to that cinema

Edited by chokeout

• Paid Members

We had some great old cinemas in North Wales. I still remember handing my ticket money over to Peter Moore. Officially the creepiest cinema owner of all time. The fact he went on to be a serial killer who blamed Jason from Friday The 13th for his bumming/murder spree was a shock to no one that went to that cinema

It was a bloody ugly cinema too. Crazy paving up the front of it.

• Paid Members

It was a bloody ugly cinema too. Crazy paving up the front of it.
It was a subtle clue.