UFC 136: 'Edgar vs Maynard III' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Edgar vs Maynard 3  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Maybe "clearly won" was a bit strong but he was dominting that fight and it was a total fluke he made himself woozy. If nothing it was a moral victory and he proved he was a better fighter, the UFC didnt even bother with a rematch it was so clear he would have won if not for that fluke.

Although I cant really argue with the ruling of it being a no contest.

Seriously, what on earth are you talking about? Gray Maynard's only no contest is against Rob Emerson. I, and everyone else for that matter, were logically thinking that you were talking about the second match he fought against Frankie Edgar? Why would you even talk about a no contest? The whole discussion was about fighters avenging their losses, to which you referenced Gray Maynard for some bizarre reason.

Mentioned above was fighters who had beaten every fighter they had ever faced at some point. Like Melendez, GSP and Cruz.

I mentioned Maynard as he has beaten every fighter he has faced at some point bar the no contest with Emerson which I felt he was very unlucky not to win as it was a fluke he knocked himself out and was well on his way to finishing Emerson, I am sorry if I did not make that clear.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe "clearly won" was a bit strong but he was dominting that fight and it was a total fluke he made himself woozy. If nothing it was a moral victory and he proved he was a better fighter, the UFC didnt even bother with a rematch it was so clear he would have won if not for that fluke.

Although I cant really argue with the ruling of it being a no contest.

Seriously, what on earth are you talking about? Gray Maynard's only no contest is against Rob Emerson. I, and everyone else for that matter, were logically thinking that you were talking about the second match he fought against Frankie Edgar? Why would you even talk about a no contest? The whole discussion was about fighters avenging their losses, to which you referenced Gray Maynard for some bizarre reason.

Mentioned above was fighters who had beaten every fighter they had ever faced at some point. Like Melendez, GSP and Cruz.

I mentioned Maynard as he has beaten every fighter he has faced at some point bar the no contest with Emerson which I felt he was very unlucky not to win as it was a fluke he knocked himself out and was well on his way to finishing Emerson, I am sorry if I did not make that clear.

You do realise he lost to Frankie on Sunday so he is in no way apart of that list.

• Paid Members

Gray Maynard & Kenny Florian both had outstanding opening rounds then just seemed like they shut off. Two very strange performances. Kenny looked tremendous for a round then after that he just kinda looked like he was going through the motions. I aint sure he'll even come back now, Kenny's got options outside of the cage and i aint sure if he'll want to go on another title run.

As for Gray, he basically did what he did in the first fight. Everytime he seemed to touch Frankie he hurt him, yet after a round he just stopped fighting. I thought this was cruising towards another decision (possibly a draw if Gray had a strong 5th) cause i couldn't see Frankie hurting Gray, so glad to be proven wrong. It was a perfect ending to the trilogy, the 3rd fight, there had to be a definitive finish, and as Goldberg said it was 'closure'. Dunno what Gray does now, can't see the UFC wanting to a 4th fight so he's kinda in limbo until Frankie leaves the division.

As for Frankie leaving the division...Dana's hinting that he wants him to go fight Aldo at 145. The only reason he's saying that is because 155 is so stacked, 145 has a limited amount of 'money' challengers (some would argue none now Kenny's lost), so having Edgar fight Aldo would shine a big light on that belt. I can't see Edgar wanting to go down though until he loses.

• Paid Members

i don't think anyone could have scripted Chael Sonnen's comeback any better. He went in against Stann and just absolutely destroyed him. Brian Stann probably don't know what hit him. The aftermatch promo was just gold too. If the UFC do the ol' switcheroo and do Henderson/Silva instead, they are insane.

Sonnen just seems to have perfected his all-action wrestling style. He's always fought similar but in recent years he seems to have got it down point. If you look at Chael's last 5 fights he's fought some of the best and strongest guys at 185 and he's just ragdolled the lot of them (Okami, Stann, Marquadt, Silva & Miller). The guy other than the lapse against Silva has been near flawless. I fancy him in the rematch.

Chael fucking Sonnen!

Dunno what Gray does now, can't see the UFC wanting to a 4th fight so he's kinda in limbo until Frankie leaves the division.

Looking at it from a legit sporting viewpoint, Maynard simply has to go back and win some fights. If he puts together a run of five or six wins against top ten guys he has to get another crack at the title, it's as simple as that.

Such a bout would happen two years or so down the line at the earliest, at which point Edgar may not be champion. Even if he is, both men would be two years older, and more experienced, so it would be a different fight from what we just saw.

• Paid Members

yeh, but i think it sets Gray back a little further than he usually would be. I think the UFC want to get some fresh faces in there, there's so many marketable guys in the division who are on great runs.

I imagine Gray Mayard is going to need to go on some mad Jon Fitch-esque run if he wants another shot.

• Paid Members

who else loved Melvin Guillard get humbled?

it reminded me so much of Joe Stevenson/Joe Sotiropulous fight, in that fight Stevenson came out looking like he'd already won...he went on to get absolutely destroyed. Seeing Guillard bouncing around with the shades on i just hoped he'd lose. Where was the focus?

Guillard thought he was invincible on Saturday night, and Lauzon humbled him in under a minute. No should ever overlook Lauzon, especially early in a fight, he's fucking dangerous.

As for Frankie leaving the division...Dana's hinting that he wants him to go fight Aldo at 145. The only reason he's saying that is because 155 is so stacked, 145 has a limited amount of 'money' challengers (some would argue none now Kenny's lost)

I think if Ross Pearson gets 2 impressive wins, he'll be right in line for a title shot and that'd be a 'money' fight.

You'd have massive UK ratings, Pearson has a good fanbase over in the US, two very sell-able/entertaining style of fighters and there is always a big promotional push anytime a TUF winner has a title shot. I'd love to see that fight and I honestly think theres a good chance we could see it by the end of next year.

As for Frankie leaving the division...Dana's hinting that he wants him to go fight Aldo at 145. The only reason he's saying that is because 155 is so stacked, 145 has a limited amount of 'money' challengers (some would argue none now Kenny's lost)

I think if Ross Pearson gets 2 impressive wins, he'll be right in line for a title shot and that'd be a 'money' fight.

You'd have massive UK ratings, Pearson has a good fanbase over in the US, two very sell-able/entertaining style of fighters and there is always a big promotional push anytime a TUF winner has a title shot. I'd love to see that fight and I honestly think theres a good chance we could see it by the end of next year.

Problem is Jose Aldo is going to jump up to 155lb soon.

I wouldn't be so sure. Dana usually doesn't like guys switching divisions unless they've cleaned them out, so I doubt he'd be too impressed at Aldo just dumping the belt and moving up.

I wouldn't be so sure. Dana usually doesn't like guys switching divisions unless they've cleaned them out, so I doubt he'd be too impressed at Aldo just dumping the belt and moving up.

Aldo DID kinda clean out the division no? Edgar is the one who has some challengers left, i think.

Archived