UFC 136: 'Edgar vs Maynard III' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Edgar vs Maynard 3  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great show. Frankie Edgar is superb at overcoming adversity doing that two fights running but this time it ended with a winner, Edgar stopping Gray Maynard in style. Maynard won't be getting a UFC Lightweight title shot any time soon. Edgar's had a fine year on top of the deepest UFC weight division.Aldo/Florian was disappointing, his performances don't compare as well to other ex WEC fighters who are now in the UFC when WEC closed. Dominick Cruz and Ben Henderson have done better. Chael Sonnen looked terrific in his fight winning by sub of all things. Silva/Sonnen II has to be next, that fight poses so many questions namely can Sonnen replicate his performance pre getting trapped in a Triangle Armbar or will we get THE Anderson Silva we all know?Phan/Garcia II was probably my Fight of the Night. Glad Phan got the win he should have got the first time around.I've never liked Melvin Guillard so I liked that he lost to Joe Lauzon. Guillard did a Jim Miller. Surely Ben Henderson/Clay Guida gets the next UFC Lightweight Championship shot. I'm hoping Henderson wins.UFC 132 is probably my Card of the Year with this show and UFC 129 fighting it out for second and third spots.

• Paid Members

Another good one! Decision heavy prelims but there were some good action. Stipe Miocic is a great addition to the HW division. Beltran showed his toughness but Miocic seem to ragdoll him with his wrestling. A few fun fights down the road for him. Pettis/Stephens was a fun back and forth fight.Melvin was way too hyper going in, he rushed forward and Lauzon swarmed like he does. Great finish for Joe, another LW contender gets knocked off the perch and Another steps up. Lauzon/Pettis sounds good and hopefully they'll make Miller/Guillard next.Phan/Garcia was great. Garcia can't but help drag himself into a brawl, even though he always looks better staying disciplined. Can't complain though. A third fight down the road is sure to happen. Rightly deserved FOTN.Sonnen looked much leaner coming in and I'm happy he finally got a finish. Great Pro wrestling Promo too, Wonder how they'll handle this 'Loser leaves town' angle, If Sonnen does lose. Interesting.Aldo/Florian was a bit disappointing, Neither really got going and Florian again doesn't look upto par going for a championship. I can't see him competing much longer. Franky Edgar continues to show he is a tough bastard and deserving of the title. Great fight and glad he got a convincing finish too. Whatever they do next with Guida/Bendo/Melendez/Aldo is cool with me.Great show.

Edgar's had a fine year on top of the deepest UFC weight division.

He's only had 2 fights to be fair, and only won 1 of them. His performances have ben top notch, but that seems somewhat of a bold statement really

• Paid Members

He's only had 2 fights to be fair, and only won 1 of them. His performances have ben top notch, but that seems somewhat of a bold statement really
You're forgetting Penn.

Just finished this. Very enjoyable card I thought.Disappointed that Maynard started off so well and then basically fucked it up, but Edgar did what he does best, and I can't deny him that.Great to see Sonnen back - love the attitude towards Silva, and he was fantastic all round. Didn't look like he'd been away at all.Phan/Garcia I could've watched for another few rounds. Brilliant from both.Aldo/Florian was a bit meh in the end. I've lost complete faith in Florian (not that I had much) and he's got so much work to do before he can ever finish for a title.

• Paid Members

I don't think I have ever wanted Anderson Silva to win a match so much. That said Sonnen was incredible in his fight. As for J-Lau, where does that put him in the division? Does he steal Guillards spot as next up?

You're forgetting Penn.
That was last year, he is talking about 2011.

• Paid Members

Everything Sonnen did was fucking great last night. His performance in the fight was almost flawless. I think most people thought Stann would have a hard time with Chael's wrestling and I expected a one sided decision from the time the fight was announced. Sonnen by submission wasn't expected at all from me, loved it.The post fight interview was brilliant. Sonnen and Barnett are the kings of the post fight pro wrestling interview. Loved the litte Bret Hart Summerslam 97 stipulation bit he threw in. The rematch will be massive. There's already talk, and Dana's even mentioned it, of them holding it in Dallas at the massive Cowboys Stadium next year.

Archived