UFC 136: 'Edgar vs Maynard III' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Edgar vs Maynard 3  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You missed Phan and Garcia totally tear it up. Stunner of a fight.

No, it wasn't.
Erm, yeah it was - hence how it was FOTN.
Undeservedly so. Two sub par sluggers just swinging at each other was a tedious fight - it isn't 2005 anymore and neither of those guys are as fun to watch as Griffin or Bonnar. It's great that they have heart or whatever you want to call it, but on a card that also had Sonnen demolishing Stann and Frankie Edgar being the real life equivalent of John Cena, it's embarrassing and plays to the MMA stereotype of two guys just brawling.
I totally get what you're saying but it all comes down to entertainment and I find it hard to see how anyone could have watched Garcia vs Phan 2 and not be entertained. If it wasn't to your taste fair enough but it's fights like that that makes people watch.Sure it's great to see the skill and technique on display between 2 top MMA fighters but at the same time for every technical classic like Aldo vs Hominick or Edgar vs Maynard there's a crazy brawl like Garcia vs Phan/Jung or Frye vs Takayama. Not saying you're opinion is any less valid just making a point that we all watch a fight for one main reason, to be entertained. I think people get too caught up in whether a fight is technical enough or not and forget why they watch in the first place and just enjoy the fights.I mean look at it this way. Who's the more technical fighter Floyd Mayweather or Arturro Gatti? Now who would you rather watch a career comilation of? Not a knock on Floyd, he's an all time great fighter but I'd find it hard to believe people would rather watch Floyd's fights back to back over Gatti's.Floyd's the better and more successful boxer but there's always a place for an exciting brawler. As great as technique, nothing makes a crowd react like a fight where 2 guys are willing to go all out for a KO even if it means putting themselves at risk. It's the edge of the seat factor whereas overly technical fights tend to be more predictable.
I agree that the Garcia/Phan fight was entertaining, but fight of the night? Seriously? It showcased some of the worst boxing I've seen inside a cage.I don't think matters are helped much by the likes of Joe Rogan saying "this is what MMA is all about". No, it isn't. Fights like this will always have a place on the lower end of a PPV card, as they are exciting, but it was never fight of the night.
That's exactly what I'm getting at. It's fine for the undercard but to be FOTN on a stacked card is ridiculous. I'd also totally forgotten about what Rogan said about that being what MMA was about. MMA is about exciting, skilled and varied fighting, not mongs swinging at each other and barely connecting save for a few lucky blows.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd also totally forgotten about what Rogan said about that being what MMA was about. MMA is about exciting, skilled and varied fighting, not mongs swinging at each other and barely connecting save for a few lucky blows.

Totally. Tune in when Anderson Silva meets Chael Sonnen and see what MMA is really all about. Big time fights, exciting build, and most importantly, two fighters at the very top of the tree in their division.

• Paid Members

Ariel Helwani interviews Chael Sonnen after UFC 136http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/10/09/chae...er-ufc-136-win/Sonnen (whilst flexing like 1980s Hulk Hogan) : "Ariel is that camera big enough to take in the largest arm in West Linn, Oregon that has found it's way to Houston, Texas because that thing looks a little small?"Watch it it's fucking gold.

Chael would be a natural addition to the WWE roster if he decided to get out of MMA. He's money.

Chael would be a natural addition to the WWE roster if he decided to get out of MMA. He's money.

I think the fact he's in MMA speaks volumes about the way that the sport has taken away from wrestling. Ten years ago, he'd have been in WWE for sure. Now he has a better option.

Sonnen vs Silva 2 is the most anticipated rematch in UFC/MMA history in my opinion.

Sonnen looked awesome last night, as great as Anderson is and he is one of if not the best fighters of all time, Sonnen has the style and aproach to beat him. I dont think anyone at 185 can realistically get close to Anderson bar Henderson moving back down.

Sonnen is a tremendous MMA Wrestler and even if he is leaner is still strong as they come, picking up Stann and slamming him at one point.

I think Anderson deserves to be the betting favorite, but I still would not like to pick a winner when they do fight.

Frankie Edgar also may have the biggest heart in MMA. If he fights Gilbert Melendez down the road that could be a absolute war.

UFC is on fucking fire at the moment, bar the lacklustre Aldo vs Ken Flo fight, every other fight was entertaining on the UFC 136 Main Card.

• Paid Members
It's fine for the undercard but to be FOTN on a stacked card is ridiculous. I'd also totally forgotten about what Rogan said about that being what MMA was about. MMA is about exciting, skilled and varied fighting, not mongs swinging at each other.

What's being on the undercard got to do with how much it deserves to be called FOTN? It was on the undercard and wasn't even gonna be on the main card originally.

I agree Rogan went over the top. Also when he said it was one of the best fights ever, it wasn't even the best fight this month (Wiman/Danzig imo) and I'm not even saying it should have been FOTN necessarily but it was a hell of a fun 15 minutes and I can see why they would be rewarded. I disagree it was 'mongs swinging'. It was a technical striker vs a brawler.

FOTN is all opinions anyway. I had no problem with them getting the bonus they fought their arses off. I'd be fine with it going to Edgar/Maynard or Stipe/Beltran too.

Frankie is a tough bastard though, full credit to him. He now joins a short list of MMA fighters who have beaten everyone they've fought, along with GSP, Gilbert Melendez and a few others.

You mean he joins a short list who've avenged every loss. Otherwise they'd be a nice list of undefeated tallent

haha yeah that's what I meant. I was right though really, every man Edgar has fought he's beat as of last night. Same with Melendez and GSP. But yeah well spotted.

Dominick Cruz is another.

I agree Rogan went over the top. Also when he said it was one of the best fights ever, it wasn't even the best fight this month (Wiman/Danzig imo) and I'm not even saying it should have been FOTN necessarily but it was a hell of a fun 15 minutes and I can see why they would be rewarded. I disagree it was 'mongs swinging'. It was a technical striker vs a brawler.

Fight Of The Night should have went to the main event, without question. That fight featured two of the top fighters in their division putting on one hell of a show.

As for Rogan, he's really started grating on my nerves recently. Apart from the Garcia/Phan fight, he also pissed me off during the Florian/Aldo fight. Why did he spend the majority of the fight talking about what Florian had to do, and how Florian was doing a decent job? He never gave Aldo the props that he deserved in that fight, or mentioned the fact that he was shutting Kenny down at every turn.

I really hope that the move to FOX will eventually see a new commentary team brought in. Both Rogan & Goldberg are well past their sell-by date.

FOTN is all opinions anyway. I had no problem with them getting the bonus they fought their arses off. I'd be fine with it going to Edgar/Maynard or Stipe/Beltran too.

They may have fought their arses off, but if you're telling me that Garcia deserves an extra $75,000 on top of his fight money then you must be crazy.

What did he do to warrant that? He's shit. He can't box, he certainly can't grapple and he gasses after 3 minutes.

Since he came into the UFC he's went 1-2, which really should have been 0-3.

The bonus money, which is more than some fighters earn altogether, should go to those who actually deserve it. Throwing a barrage of cringeworthy punches and being good at getting hit in the face doesn't quite cut it for me I'm afraid.

Frankie is a tough bastard though, full credit to him. He now joins a short list of MMA fighters who have beaten everyone they've fought, along with GSP, Gilbert Melendez and a few others.

You mean he joins a short list who've avenged every loss. Otherwise they'd be a nice list of undefeated tallent

haha yeah that's what I meant. I was right though really, every man Edgar has fought he's beat as of last night. Same with Melendez and GSP. But yeah well spotted.

Funnily enough, if you ignore a no contest which he clearly won, so is Grey Maynard

• Paid Members

Funnily enough, if you ignore a no contest which he clearly won, so is Grey Maynard

Behave will ya?

Maybe "clearly won" was a bit strong but he was dominting that fight and it was a total fluke he made himself woozy. If nothing it was a moral victory and he proved he was a better fighter, the UFC didnt even bother with a rematch it was so clear he would have won if not for that fluke.

Although I cant really argue with the ruling of it being a no contest.

• Paid Members
Maybe "clearly won" was a bit strong but he was dominting that fight and it was a total fluke he made himself woozy. If nothing it was a moral victory and he proved he was a better fighter, the UFC didnt even bother with a rematch it was so clear he would have won if not for that fluke.

Although I cant really argue with the ruling of it being a no contest.

Seriously, what on earth are you talking about? Gray Maynard's only no contest is against Rob Emerson. I, and everyone else for that matter, were logically thinking that you were talking about the second match he fought against Frankie Edgar? Why would you even talk about a no contest? The whole discussion was about fighters avenging their losses, to which you referenced Gray Maynard for some bizarre reason.

Archived