UFC 136: 'Edgar vs Maynard III' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Edgar vs Maynard 3  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Dana White confirmed at the press conference the winner of Sonnen vs Stann is getting the next crack at Anderson Silva's title.There was talk that Dan Henderson might get the next shot sometime early next year but I guess Hendo will be staying at 205.

Dana White confirmed at the press conference the winner of Sonnen vs Stann is getting the next crack at Anderson Silva's title.There was talk that Dan Henderson might get the next shot sometime early next year but I guess Hendo will be staying at 205.

Don't speak too soon my friend...

While this weekend's UFC 136 event is headlined by a pair of title fights, the middleweight contest between Chael Sonnen (25-11-1 MMA, 5-4 UFC) and Brian Stann (11-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC) is also rife with championship implications. However, the winner won't necessarily book a future date with 185-pound kingpin Anderson Silva (31-4 MMA, 14-0 UFC). Recent Strikeforce import Dan Henderson (28-8 MMA, 5-2 UFC) meets Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (20-5 MMA, 4-3 UFC) in November, and UFC president Dana White said a win could rush him to the front of the line. "Should Dan win, he's definitely one of the guys that could go take that fight," White said today following a UFC 136 pre-event press conference. The move would seem a slight departure from White's August claims that the winner of the Sonnen-Stann matchup "should be" in line to meet Silva. But White said that his position hasn't necessarily changed. There are just more options available with Henderson's arrival. "I'm not even thinking about [silva's next opponent] yet," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "We'll figure it out after. But I still feel that way." Some MMA pundits have suggested that UFC brass is simply waiting on the results of Sonnen-Stann to make a decision. After all, if Sonnen should prove victorious, how could White not book the big-money rematch with Silva? But Stann, well he might just not be ready for "The Spider," even if he downs Sonnen. Ludicrous, said White. "How could you feel that if Sonnen wins, he deserves a shot at the title, but if not Stann doesn't?" White asked. "Stann's been on a tear. He beat some good guys and looked good doing it

• Paid Members

the UFC would be insane not to take advantage of the Sonnen/Silva II situation if Sonnen wins. I can see them doing Henderson/Silva is Stann wins on Saturday but they cant pass up the chance of doing a second Sonnen/Silva fight.

the UFC would be insane not to take advantage of the Sonnen/Silva II situation if Sonnen wins. I can see them doing Henderson/Silva is Stann wins on Saturday but they cant pass up the chance of doing a second Sonnen/Silva fight.

Agree, if Sonnen wins they will do Sonnen/Silva II, but if Stann wins and then so does Henderson, we will get Henderson/Silva.

• Paid Members

Edgar is leading the poll 12-6 over Maynard. Interesting. Bit of a surprise there for me, thought it would be pretty much neck and neck.

Ariel Helwani's got a load of interviews up here

http://www.mmafighting.com/

He's got interviews with Sonnen, Florian, Maynard, Stann, Ed Soares, Aldo and Lauzon. Guessing he'll have the rest up later.

And a pre 136 Dana interview

• Paid Members

Little, actually pretty much fuck all has really been said about Guillard vs Lauzon so far. What's people's thoughts? Does anyone give Creepy Joe a shot? Most online are already talking about Melvin either fighting for the title or maybe fighting Melendez after this. Can't help thinking Lauzon is being sold a tad short.I'd favour Melvin but Lauzon has a skillset that Guillard has had trouble with in the past. Sticking with my original thoughts and going with a Guillard KO although I wouldn't be massively shocked if Lauzon scored a submission win.

• Paid Members

Melvin's looked spectacular recently and if he carries that form in i cant see him losing to Lauzon. Lauzon's best performances are where he comes in and completely overwhelms someone with his pace, i can't see him imposing his will Melvin like that, so i see Melvin TKO'ing Lauzon sometime in the 2nd or 3rd round.

• Paid Members

Yeah I'm guessing you're right. One of the reasons I was picking Melvin in the first place was that he's really seemed to up his grappling and grappling defence more specifically over the last year or so. He's also on a 5 fight winning streak so his confidence is high but I don't get the impression he's overconfident like he was in the past. Seems a more mature fighter now.I read earlier that he's been training in Holland aswell recently and he was quoted as saying he's now hitting "five or six times harder". I know that could all be usual prefight bullshit but if he really believes his Dutch training has helped him that much it's a scary thought. He was already one of the most dangerous strikers at 155.Here's the quote on his Dutch trainer Henry (doesn't give a surname) and the Lauzon fight

"Honestly, since I've been working with him, I'm hitting five, six times harder. The Dutch way of fighting is very powerful, and he showed me some ways of channeling my punches and kicks into a little more power. I'm excited myself about Saturday. I'm excited to see what happens.""A lot of guys turned down the fight, so I respect Joe. He's a very dangerous guy, and he's very talented. Does he present any problems for me? Yes, if I allow him to.""I'm going in the same way I went in on Evan Dunham, who was a [brazilian jiu-jitsu] guy. The same way I went in on Shane Roller, who was a BJJ guy. Man, they're going to call me the jiu-jitsu killer after I'm done with Lauzon."He's got to put me to the mat and hold me before he can submit me. Joe Lauzon, he's not even big enough to be a [lightweight]. He should be a [featherweight] in my book. He's a small guy. I know Joe personally, as well. He's not that big of a guy, and I know damn well he's not stronger than me.""But, you know, I believe in the little guys. I knocked a lot of big people out in my life. You can't always underestimate the little guy. He's crafty. He's dangerous, if I allow him to be.""I'll see what happens when it happens. After I win this fight, if I get a title shot next, then I get a title shot next. If Dana calls me and says, '[i want you] to fight (Strikeforce lightweight champion) Gilbert (Melendez),' I going to fight Gilbert. I'm a fighter, bro. The belt will come."If I don't get a title shot this year, I will go undefeated, and I will put myself in position by 2012 to have my title"

Guillard has one thing in there right now. An unreal amount of confidence. The way he's just bouncing about ready to bust heads is a sight to behold, but you can't look over Joe Lauzon here. Id Guillard gets through that fight, I hope he fights the winner of Siver/Cerrone next as a title eliminator. It's obvious Guida vs. Bendo is the next LW eliminator. I'd say the winners of them two fights both deserve a shout, so make em duke it out.EDIT: That first part sounded pretty bad. I mean it's his main thing. Obviously he's bloody talented.

• Paid Members

Guillard/Lauzon is the fight I'm most looking forward to and should be absolute fireworks. As Said, Lauzon looks his best when he swarms hard and early, and Melvin is similar to that so I think were in for a treat. I'm picking Guillard via TKO, but you can never rule out Lauzon catching a submission. Should be a great fight.

• Paid Members

Everyone made weight

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

Frankie Edgar (154.5) vs. Gray Maynard (155)

Jose Aldo (145) vs. Kenny Florian (145)

Chael Sonnen (185.5) vs. Brian Stann (186)

Leonard Garcia (145) vs. Nam Phan (145)

Melvin Guillard (155.5) vs. Joe Lauzon (155.5)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

Demian Maia (185) vs. Jorge Santiago (185)

Anthony Pettis (154.5) vs. Jeremy Stephens (156)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)

Joey Beltran (245) vs. Stipe Miocic (236)

Darren Elkins (145) vs. Tiequan Zhang (146)

Eric Schafer (185.5) vs. Aaron Simpson (186)

Steve Cantwell (186) vs. Mike Massenzio (185)

frankie-edgar-gray-maynard.JPG

jose-aldo-kenny-florian.JPG

chael-sonnen-brian-stann.JPG

leonard-garcia-nam-phan.JPG

melvin-guillard-joe-lauzon.JPG

demian-maia-jorge-santiago.JPG

anthony-pettis-jeremy-stephens.JPG

What's Maynard's hair doing? Get it cut :D

Archived