UFC 136: 'Edgar vs Maynard III' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Edgar vs Maynard 3  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I don't think I have ever wanted Anderson Silva to win a match so much. That said Sonnen was incredible in his fight. As for J-Lau, where does that put him in the division? Does he steal Guillards spot as next up?

I wouldn't think so. It was hugely impressive but I'd think he'd need one more big win. Maybe a fight with Pettis or the winner of Cerrone vs Siver is next for Lauzon.It could go one of 2 ways imo.Edgar vs Aldo (145 or 155, Dana's been on about this) and Melendez vs Guida/Bendo winneror more likelyEdgar vs Guida/Bendo winner (LW Title)Aldo vs Chad Mendes (FW Title)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love how the faces in your sig get angrier as you go further right.The idea of Melendez against either Bendo or Guida makes me happy, although I'd be much happier if the winner of the Bendo/Guida fight got the shot they deserve. On that note, I'd have Melendez fight the winner of Siver/Cerrone.

• Paid Members

Sonnen kicks ass then produces the greatest 'money' promo in years. I hope Sonnen wins too, he's all kinds of awesome.This was one of my favourite shows of the year. The undercard delivered, as expected, and we got a good main event with a great start and finish (if this was wrestling, it would have been the perfect story).Edgar is double tough but I think Maynard's conditioning was what cost him again, Maynard looked blown up after the first round again (which wasn't as devastating as the previous fight).

• Paid Members

I love how the faces in your sig get angrier as you go further right.

Haha yeah I hadn't even really noticed that. I was glad to see Aldo win. Anyone else find the commentary (Rogan in particular) really biased in Florian's favour last night? He probably edged round 1 but after that he did fuck all. He got outstruck on the feet, couldn't get a takedown and when it did go to the ground although he defended well Aldo had him outpositoned. The way Rogan was talking you'd think Kenny was winning.Edgar/Maynard 3 was class. Weird how it started almost exactly the same as their last fight and then Edgar turned it round again. Great fight and a really impressive finish for Frankie. They were calling this a rubber match which isn't really correct. As it stands they're 1-1-1. I'd love to see a 4th fight to really settle the score.

You missed Phan and Garcia totally tear it up. Stunner of a fight.

No, it wasn't.
Erm, yeah it was - hence how it was FOTN.
Undeservedly so. Two sub par sluggers just swinging at each other was a tedious fight - it isn't 2005 anymore and neither of those guys are as fun to watch as Griffin or Bonnar. It's great that they have heart or whatever you want to call it, but on a card that also had Sonnen demolishing Stann and Frankie Edgar being the real life equivalent of John Cena, it's embarrassing and plays to the MMA stereotype of two guys just brawling.

Edgar is double tough but I think Maynard's conditioning was what cost him again, Maynard looked blown up after the first round again (which wasn't as devastating as the previous fight).

You think so? I thought Maynard looked fine conditioning-wise, he just let the fight get away from him. He lost that fight almost as much as Edgar won it. He was apparently in a bad way after the event, and rightfully so.He's most likely blown his last title shot for a few years at least. That division is too stacked for him to get another shot soon.

• Paid Members

No, it wasn't.
Undeservedly so. Two sub par sluggers just swinging at each other was a tedious fight - it isn't 2005 anymore and neither of those guys are as fun to watch as Griffin or Bonnar. It's great that they have heart or whatever you want to call it, but on a card that also had Sonnen demolishing Stann and Frankie Edgar being the real life equivalent of John Cena, it's embarrassing and plays to the MMA stereotype of two guys just brawling.
I totally get what you're saying but it all comes down to entertainment and I find it hard to see how anyone could have watched Garcia vs Phan 2 and not be entertained. If it wasn't to your taste fair enough but it's fights like that that makes people watch.Sure it's great to see the skill and technique on display between 2 top MMA fighters but at the same time for every technical classic like Aldo vs Hominick or Edgar vs Maynard there's a crazy brawl like Garcia vs Phan/Jung or Frye vs Takayama. Not saying you're opinion is any less valid just making a point that we all watch a fight for one main reason, to be entertained. I think people get too caught up in whether a fight is technical enough or not and forget why they watch in the first place and just enjoy the fights.I mean look at it this way. Who's the more technical fighter Floyd Mayweather or Arturro Gatti? Now who would you rather watch a career comilation of? Not a knock on Floyd, he's an all time great fighter but I'd find it hard to believe people would rather watch Floyd's fights back to back over Gatti's.Floyd's the better and more successful boxer but there's always a place for an exciting brawler. As great as technique, nothing makes a crowd react like a fight where 2 guys are willing to go all out for a KO even if it means putting themselves at risk. It's the edge of the seat factor whereas overly technical fights tend to be more predictable.

• Paid Members

Edgar is double tough but I think Maynard's conditioning was what cost him again, Maynard looked blown up after the first round again (which wasn't as devastating as the previous fight).

You think so? I thought Maynard looked fine conditioning-wise, he just let the fight get away from him. He lost that fight almost as much as Edgar won it. He was apparently in a bad way after the event, and rightfully so.He's most likely blown his last title shot for a few years at least. That division is too stacked for him to get another shot soon.
He wasn't out on his feet or anything, but the way he slowed down and continued to slow down makes me think his conditioning wasn't up to much. When you're in there with someone as well conditioned as Edgar you need to be in top shape, or he'll wear you out with his relentlessness (which is what happened in the end).Speaking of fighters in rough shape, Florian looked like he was about to cry during the entire post-fight press conference.

• Paid Members

Yeah I thought his conditioning seemed fine but I really believe the worst thing that could have happened to Maynard was rocking Edgar early again. As soon as he rocked him I said to my brother if he doesn't finish him here Edgar will win either by gassing again (which he smartly avoided this time) or by reverting to a 'one shot' gameplan (which is what happened).After such a big first round, Maynard seemed to totally forget he's a bigger, stronger wrestler and he was just looking for that home run which never came and made him much too one dimensional. I still think if Maynard had wrestled after round 1, using takedowns and the threat of takedowns to land strikes instead of just throwing bombs he would have had the advantage and won the fight. Frankie is a tough bastard though, full credit to him. He now joins a short list of MMA fighters who have beaten everyone they've fought, along with GSP, Gilbert Melendez and a few others.

• Paid Members

Ariel Helwani interviews Chael Sonnen after UFC 136

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/10/09/chae...er-ufc-136-win/

Sonnen (whilst flexing like 1980s Hulk Hogan) :

"Ariel is that camera big enough to take in the largest arm in West Linn, Oregon that has found it's way to Houston, Texas because that thing looks a little small?"

Watch it it's fucking gold.

Frankie is a tough bastard though, full credit to him. He now joins a short list of MMA fighters who have beaten everyone they've fought, along with GSP, Gilbert Melendez and a few others.

You mean he joins a short list who've avenged every loss. Otherwise they'd be a nice list of undefeated tallent

No, it wasn't.
I totally get what you're saying but it all comes down to entertainment and I find it hard to see how anyone could have watched Garcia vs Phan 2 and not be entertained. If it wasn't to your taste fair enough but it's fights like that that makes people watch.Sure it's great to see the skill and technique on display between 2 top MMA fighters but at the same time for every technical classic like Aldo vs Hominick or Edgar vs Maynard there's a crazy brawl like Garcia vs Phan/Jung or Frye vs Takayama. Not saying you're opinion is any less valid just making a point that we all watch a fight for one main reason, to be entertained. I think people get too caught up in whether a fight is technical enough or not and forget why they watch in the first place and just enjoy the fights.I mean look at it this way. Who's the more technical fighter Floyd Mayweather or Arturro Gatti? Now who would you rather watch a career comilation of? Not a knock on Floyd, he's an all time great fighter but I'd find it hard to believe people would rather watch Floyd's fights back to back over Gatti's.Floyd's the better and more successful boxer but there's always a place for an exciting brawler. As great as technique, nothing makes a crowd react like a fight where 2 guys are willing to go all out for a KO even if it means putting themselves at risk. It's the edge of the seat factor whereas overly technical fights tend to be more predictable.
Absolutely spot on. Technical fights are brilliant but all-out scraps are the ones that gets your blood flowing.Fighters like Chris Lytle (was) will always have more people watching than the likes of Jon Fitch.

• Paid Members

Frankie is a tough bastard though, full credit to him. He now joins a short list of MMA fighters who have beaten everyone they've fought, along with GSP, Gilbert Melendez and a few others.

You mean he joins a short list who've avenged every loss. Otherwise they'd be a nice list of undefeated tallent
haha yeah that's what I meant. I was right though really, every man Edgar has fought he's beat as of last night. Same with Melendez and GSP. But yeah well spotted.

No, it wasn't.
I agree that the Garcia/Phan fight was entertaining, but fight of the night? Seriously? It showcased some of the worst boxing I've seen inside a cage.I don't think matters are helped much by the likes of Joe Rogan saying "this is what MMA is all about". No, it isn't. Fights like this will always have a place on the lower end of a PPV card, as they are exciting, but it was never fight of the night.

Archived