The Lucha Libre Thread

Vamp

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why are some japanese feds listed as lucha libre feds? dragon gate for instance?

Ultimo Dragon founded Toryumon Mexico so guys like CIMA, Dragon Kid and all the Toryumon originals were trained and debuted in Mexico before Toryumon Japan began a year and a half/two years later. So Toryumon/DG has always had the lucha libre influence to the point where it got coined as the term lucharesu (lucha and puroresu combined).

Turned on my XBox this morning and booted up Hulu to watch WWE Main Event and stumbled across these beauties. Think i'll take a look over the weekend..Santo Contra las Momias de GuanajuatoSanto Contra las Bestias del TerrorSanto Contra la Mafia del VicioSanto Contra las Mujeres Vampiro

• 2 months later...

Texano Jr. w/Silver King vs. El Mesias w/Octagon Jr. (mega campeon)

This title seems to get contested for about 2 or 3 times a year so title matches tend to feel a tad more special. Which explains why Texano Jr is backstage on a horse, although he doesn't bring it out to the ring which somewhat negates the point. El Mesias comes out in a cool gimp mask that he can't wear. In CMLL you'd get a technical title match, but you don't expect much of that in AAA. Oddly, we get something resembling that in the first few minutes as both men do an Indy applause sequence, it's basic but they're two big men and its somewhat unexpected. At one point El Mesias hits a plancha and the ref starts counting him out outside the ring. I'm not really sure why. In fact when Silver King hands his Consejo stable buddy a chair they do it behind the referee's back, again, no idea why but it happens sometimes when luchadores remember that there's meant to be rules. If there are, they probably don't actually know, I doubt anybody knows what's going on in AAA. At this point the match descends into a basic bloody brawl, with some double teaming and a few rope whips from Texano Jr who works a cowboy gimmick. El Mesias makes this really, he's one of the best in AAA at selling and garners quite bit of sympathy here. Octagon Jr gets involved to try and help the bloody champion, handing him a chair too which he uses to smack Texano Jr who starts bleeding buckets. There's a sequence of high spots from the top rope, Texano literally drives El Mesias down with a powerbomb but more shocking is El Mesias' lungblower where Texano Jr seems to snap in two. They seem to go into this a little early. There's a crappy bit where El Mesias drags his opponent all the way to the stage to deliver a bodyslam, I blame ECW and their crappy brawls. We get our mandatory ref bump which stops Texano Jr from getting the win on a backcracker, quite why that happens to a rudo I'm not really sure. El Mesias hits a backcracker and the referee's revived, but Silver King brings him back out. Octagon Jr tries to save the day by missing a plancha and so Silver King dumps him like a sack of crap into the crowd. El Mesias goes for a flying splash off the top but Texano Jr gets his knees up, which leads to a call of foul (which it wasn't). Texano Jr. finishes off the champion with a double powerbomb, but with the second bomb being of the sit out variety. El Mesias is pissed and wants more of Texano Jr but his weedy useless corner mate tells him it's not a good idea and holds him back. Giving the title to El Consejo suggests that maybe AAA's gonna give up on the TNA storyline and really focus on El Conejo as their top rudo group but it's a tad too late after they've been working midcard matches. El Mesias is a reliable hand and adds some good drama to a very basic but decent brawl.

Guerrero Mara Jr. vs. Negro Casas © for the NWA World Welterweight Championship

This was filmed on Christmas Day apparently. I'm expecting good things here, Guerrero Maya has some funky mat work, being the son of Black Terry, and Casas is great. This is a title match, and Christmas Day, so we'll get something special in entrances. Maya wears a pink feather headdress. Casas dances and makes me have an epileptic fit with his strobe lighting, I don't have epilepsy. He's that good a worker. Some tits jangle about and then the robotic women turn and walk to the back at the cue of the whistle. Naturally we watch them go rather than seeing the first holds in this main event title match. Crowd are behind Casas, as always. Things start off a bit slow and I'm not sure these two have much chemistry, both men focus on the legs, and that helps Maya pick up the first fall with an interesting version of the atomic strength, modified for extra pull back on the leg. Negro Casas, the maestro, is pretty shocked by this. Break, we perve at some woman and go into the second fall. Maya picks up the pace here with a couple of arm drags and a plancha, but this proves a mistake as Negro uses rudo tactics and rams Maya into the barricade that CMLL fans will tell you shouldn't be there. This pretty much wins Casas a quick second fall, with Maya having made a big mistake in picking the pace up and Casas doing whatever it takes to cling onto his title for a little while longer. Guerrero Maya is in some trouble, using the rest break to try and shake off what's apparently an injured arm. I don't know whether that's from his own armdrags or the barricade attack. More perving and into round three. Casas, of course, goes right to work on the arm with a couple of timely knees into it and a submission hold. He makes the mistake of picking the pace up, which favours the younger Maya who comes close to winning with a crossbody and a Northern lights suplex. As an aside, how many female commentators have there been? Casas wisely slows the match down. Both men go back to working on the legs, including a high angle Mexican surfboard in case you've forgotten where we are. Time for chops. Both men go to strikes, Casas tries for a cradle (he's good at them) but Maya says no. Casas botches something but laughs it off, arrogant as he is. Maya goes for his finisher, the headdroppy onto knee thing he's learnt from IWRG, but there's a comedy prat fall for the referee and seconds later Casas uses a missile dropkick to the knee followed by a cradle to wrap things up, the lucky vet keeps the title. Casas gives the wrestling purists what they want, dancing. Maybe a little basic, but I liked it for not having the standard sequence of highspots at the end which CMLL matches sometimes irritate me with. It's decent, but nothing must see. Maya tends to be one of my favourite technicos when I watch CMLL (I go through on and off months) because he stands out from the crowd a little.

Mesias/Texano was really good, and there was stuff edited out too, as I saw spots from the terceracaida highlights that never made it to the TV airing.

I thought Casas/Maya was a big disappointment which is probably a bit unfair because I suppose it was fine for what it was. My expectations were just that high for it, as it's Negro Casas, Maya is the best midcarder of the new crop (post 2008), and his last big singles match with Virus is one of my favourite lucha match of the past 3-4 years.

Have you caught the unedited Park/Doc brawl that aired on the regional show yet? That was top stuff, I preferred it to both of those above.

I usually catch the Sunday night net feed, and there was also a good match on it just last week with Stuka and Fuego defending their Arena Coliseo tag titles (in Arena Mexico!) against the excellent Cancerbero and Raziel. Hopefully the upcoming (on tv) double hair match featuring another old fave, Tigre Blanco, turns out good too.

Hi Guys really great to see people talking about lucha again i thought i'd show off some of the lucha masks i've had made in mexico.:)

Brazo Cibernetico mask made by my good Friend Kenjiro

brazociber.jpg

Pentagon Mask made by Kenjiro

pentagon.jpg

Rey Bucanero mask made by Gustavo bucio

DSCF0554.jpg

Mesias/Texano was really good, and there was stuff edited out too, as I saw spots from the terceracaida highlights that never made it to the TV airing.

I figured as much, it seemed a bit short and there was an obvious place to do an edit. Shame.

I thought Casas/Maya was a big disappointment which is probably a bit unfair because I suppose it was fine for what it was. My expectations were just that high for it, as it's Negro Casas, Maya is the best midcarder of the new crop (post 2008), and his last big singles match with Virus is one of my favourite lucha match of the past 3-4 years.

Yeah, I think that's how I felt about the match, they could definately do more.

Have you caught the unedited Park/Doc brawl that aired on the regional show yet? That was top stuff, I preferred it to both of those above.

Ah, no, I'm desperate to get around to it. I've seen the edited version and it was fun, I can only imagine how great the unedited match is.

I usually catch the Sunday night net feed, and there was also a good match on it just last week with Stuka and Fuego defending their Arena Coliseo tag titles (in Arena Mexico!) against the excellent Cancerbero and Raziel. Hopefully the upcoming (on tv) double hair match featuring another old fave, Tigre Blanco, turns out good too.

A good nod, I'll check it out. I take it you're back into lucha then, seemed ato ne stage you had lost interest a bit?

I don't follow lucha, but I do listen to the MLW podcast with Konnan filling people in on the latest from AAA. Every week he's talking about something big for AAA happening in the States in 2013 but can't say much more than that. He's been saying it for so long now without elaborating, I was wondering whether anyone here either knows any more about it, or actually thinks it will happen?

I don't think there's anymore to it than Konnan wants it to happen, and I don't think it'll actually happen either. They're always talking about doing shows in the States. I had heard they were prevented before by LLUSA contracts, but I'm not sure how true that is. It's just Konnan talking.

That LLUSA thing is very much true as evidenced by TNA having to hide the AAA logo and not mention AAA on TV when Jarrett had the belt. Nor bring in any AAA talent, even though they have wanted to. AAA can't do anything in the States because of that whole LLUSA deal. That being said, Konnan's been saying for months now, heck maybe years, that the LLUSA issue will be settled any day now and AAA will be back in the States but nothing ever happens.

A good nod, I'll check it out. I take it you're back into lucha then, seemed ato ne stage you had lost interest a bit?

Aye, I tend to be a bit like that. I've always kept up to date with what's going on, but it tends to be pretty cyclical as to what I can be bothered watching these days. Usually a couple of months watching most of the shows uploaded followed by a spell where I can't be arsed so just pick and choose my matches, catch my favourites and avoid the crap (CMLL anyway, AAA's easier going as it's only 2 or 3 matches per week, outwith Fusion)

The biggest problem for me is just accepting the new style for what it is rather than pining for how things were 10 years ago. I think the 2nd half of 2012 has been decent in comparison to recent years though. CMLL's picked up a bit in particular compared to some of the shite in recent years, on the back of a pretty great anniversary show which genuinely surprised me, and AAA's been steady for a while now with plenty of variety, drama, and is always kept fresh with fun new faces, such as the Devil Rockers (who are going to kick your poxy clowns' asses in 2013 btw) ;)

I'm watching the CMLL Sunday night shows more out of novelty than anything else. What i'd have given for such coverage back in the day! They're pretty hit or miss, and the top 3 matches make tv anyway, but occasionally the shows can be decent fun. It's 11pm (our time) on www.terra.com.mx if you're ever bored.

Luchafan, that Rey Bucanero mask is badass. does it come with the veil/hood/bandana type thing or whatever it's called that runs down the back of it? You need to get yourself a Dr Wagner angry birds one btw!

Archived