The Lucha Libre Thread

Vamp

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to say, I thought Dragonleestico was going to be horrid, and would bomb terribly - and he may yet, probably will, not least because the roster and style is a whole lot different than it was in 2004 and he's likely to be lost in the shuffle amongst the 30 or so other crazy CMLL fliers.

But..... in his first couple of matches he's actually looked pretty impressive considering. There could be more potential in this whole project than I had imagined.

Obviously he's being protected by only facing the top rudo bases for all the intricate stuff to make him look better, and he's no doubt been practicing endlessly with Ultimo and Euforia, but it's been fun nonetheless and with the wealth of good catchers for him to face, there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to push on and improve.

Also, the new La Mistica looks great, hopefully it's easier to pull off than it looks and he can use it as a signature.

hi

am just trying to get into CMLL and Lucha libre style

i have seen some on you tube , but any info or sites would be helpful

my spanish is very limited , but was wondering are there any books anyone

can recommend on the history of Lucha Libre etc

amy info would be appreciated

many thanks

]

Have to say, I thought Dragonleestico was going to be horrid, and would bomb terribly - and he may yet, probably will, not least because the roster and style is a whole lot different than it was in 2004 and he's likely to be lost in the shuffle amongst the 30 or so other crazy CMLL fliers.

But..... in his first couple of matches he's actually looked pretty impressive considering. There could be more potential in this whole project than I had imagined.

Obviously he's being protected by only facing the top rudo bases for all the intricate stuff to make him look better, and he's no doubt been practicing endlessly with Ultimo and Euforia, but it's been fun nonetheless and with the wealth of good catchers for him to face, there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to push on and improve.

Also, the new La Mistica looks great, hopefully it's easier to pull off than it looks and he can use it as a signature.

I've always thought about dabbling into watching Lucha Libre, but wouldn't know where to begin.

I always hear about AAA Triplemania, are these shows any good, and if so is there anyone on here who can fix me up a copy (or point me to a torrent)

Unfortunately it wasn't on PPV this year so it'll just air in the usual tv slot over the course of two weeks, which should be this weekend and next. Those episodes should be up on youtube by the following tuesdays. One of the most prominant uploaders, thecubsfan, also posts download links to the matches on his blog if you want to save them (www.thecubsfan.com/cmll). Sucks a bit if you're like me and prefer to watch big shows in one go from start to finish.

From the lineup, I don't expect to be raving about how great it was, but you never know I guess. At worst, it will no doubt be entertaining crap. LA Park/Electroshock vs Angle/Jarrett and Mesias/Perrito should at least be pretty good.

^ AAA uploaded the first part of Triplemania on YouTube. Next Sunday and the Sunday after => the other two parts of the show. Anyways, here's part one:

Fenix, Faby Apache, Octagoncito & Pimpinela Escarlata vs. Dark Dragon, Sexy Star, Mini Charly Manson & Yuriko

Perro Aguayo Sr.'s AAA Hall of Fame induction

Jeff Jarrett & Kurt Angle (w/ Karen Jarrett) vs. LA Park & Electroshock

• 3 weeks later...

I've watched one or two of the American versions. One was Santo against the Vampire Women which was just mental.

You should do some Santo movie inspired art work Richie :)

Edit: Also, has anyone watched TripleMania yet? I've only seen the first two parts so far (I think that's all that's gone up) and it's been a bit of a mixed bag. Park/Electroshock vs. Jarrett/Angle is fantastic for the crowd and the emotion they generate, but in terms of ring quality (if that matters a jot in a situation like that one) it was pretty poor at points. The cage match was mental, but it couldn't be anything other than that. The Perro/Messias match was pretty decent, although it seemed like the Messias injury was holding them back a bit. Still, Wagner to come even if the finish seems a bit obvious. And Joe Lider didn't manage to kill himself or anyone else which is always a plus.

Cage match spoiler:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I love the fact that when Psichosis had his mask removed during the match with Lider they'd actually made him up to have the burn scars. I really didn't expect that.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Edit: Also, has anyone watched TripleMania yet? I've only seen the first two parts so far (I think that's all that's gone up) and it's been a bit of a mixed bag. Park/Electroshock vs. Jarrett/Angle is fantastic for the crowd and the emotion they generate, but in terms of ring quality (if that matters a jot in a situation like that one) it was pretty poor at points. The cage match was mental, but it couldn't be anything other than that. The Perro/Messias match was pretty decent, although it seemed like the Messias injury was holding them back a bit. Still, Wagner to come even if the finish seems a bit obvious. And Joe Lider didn't manage to kill himself or anyone else which is always a plus.

Part 3's up now, just watched it to complete things.

Overall, i'd say it was more or less what we expected. Plenty of entertainment, and a show with a big time feel and big production, without there being anything particularly memorable in-ring. In fact, i'm struggling to even remember week one in detail, apart from my reaction which was that I thought it was distinctly average; Park/Angle was a bit disappointing relative to my expectations, and the relevos atomicos de locura was throwaway stuff as they usually are. 2nd week was a mixed bag with the horrid hardcore shit (which we all knew it was going to be) and a decent bloody brawl between Perrito and Mesias, even if Aguayo looked somewhat subdued compared to usual.

I'd say the final part was the most pleasant surprise though, as I expected nothing from Doc/MA2000, but what we got was a well (over)booked piece of madness which compensated pretty well for the fact that it was an extremely weak main event, that the junior capo isn't very good, and that the end result was never in doubt. Watching and listening to the reactions of ther crowd, it was like going back to a bygone age when everyone somehow did think it was all real. The turn was about as telegraphed as it got for example, but It felt like there was barely a body in that arena who wasn't utterly shocked by it. You'd think in AAA of all places, they'd be numbed to it all seeing as it happens all the time, but seemingly not. The Clowns/Consejo match was ok too, if you're able to overlook some of the cringeworthy spots and laziness that tend to creep into these sorta matches.

All in all, it was a good laugh, but mostly forgettable if you're looking at match quality - and let's face it, we all do to some extent. Ultimately though, the booking pretty much made sure that the show wasn't going to be able to live up to the potential it had in terms of the roster and the ongoing storylines. The Heroes Inmortales card's out and I can't see that being particularly great either, with all the convoluted matches and inevitable clusterfucks.

I'm actually starting to enjoy CMLL a bit again these days, and i'm probably looking forward to their big anniversary show this Friday as much as I have been for anything in AAA as of late. Looking away from the big picture for a moment (of how much is wrong with CMLL - which I could probably rant all day about), we've got 2 good, well built feuds being blown off instead of the usual tired cage match, Mistico in the spotlight, the dissention between Ultimo and the rest of the Guerreros, Japan v Mexico, as well as decent picks for the random undercard matches with great, often-overlooked talent like Valiente and Stuka getting a spot.

Unfortunately, as much as i'm interested in it, I suspect i'm going to end up disappointed as I like Terrible and Cometa, and would much prefer to see them winning. Assuming i'm not wrong, I only hope that Cometa's got a good look and is able to go from strength to strength without the hood, as he's such an underrated, underexposed talent. At the very worst, I hope at least the match does justice to the feud (which has been great), and they really put on a show.

So, after the anticipation, i'm delighted to say that Rey/Puma was excellent!

Insane match, and flawlessly done which is all the more incredible considering all the difficult spots, that it was both guys' biggest match ever, on such a big stage with all the pressure surrounding it. Cometa is probably the greatest high flyer you've never heard of. It's just unfortunate that CMLL is so over-saturated with so many similar-styled, but wildly inferior home grown luchadors who get more of a push. But for all that, they just can't keep him down.

Really wish he'd won, as i'm not just 100% sold on Puma King, but that won't have hurt Rey at all, especially considering he's thankfully got an ok look in addition to all that talent. It may well be the best thing that happened to him.

Can't wait to see it polished up on TV, they'd better not butcher it. Will hopefully catch El Terrible later, but it's hard to get too excited about anything involving Rush. Good to at least see that most of Arena Mexico hate him too :)

rey-cometa-jpg_035542.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived