Meeting Chris Benoit

DJ Kris

• Paid Members

Came across this via AOL and thought I'd share it here.

Meeting Chris Benoit

The wrestler who's life ended in double murder suicide

chris-benoit-champion.jpg

As the WWE gears up for its SummerSlam, Richard Luck remembers his encounter with Chris Benoit just three short months before the wrestling star murdered his wife and child.

If you're not a wrestling fan, the name Chris Benoit might not mean much. 'The Rabid Wolverine' only ever came to the attention of the wider world through the gossip mags, and then, when he did make headlines, it was for the worst reason imaginable.

Three months prior to the appalling events of 23 June 2007, I sat down with the Canadian in a hotel bar in Chelsea. As one of those tragic individuals who enjoys WWE, I couldn't have been happier to catch up with the 40 year-old from Montreal; a bona fide athlete, who made this most ridiculous form of theatre appear incredibly real.

What struck me at the time was how removed Benoit was from his ring persona. When we discussed his recently deceased mentor, 'Bad News' Allen Coage, he didn't attempt to hide how upset it left him.

"All my memories of Allen are fond," he told me. "He was one of the first guys to take me under his wing, and I was awed by that because I was just Chris Benoit, an 18-year-old kid from Alberta. I was nobody and he took the time to help me. He was a good friend - so good that, when he set up my first trip to Japan, he didn't disguise the fact that I'd find it very hard over there. Some people might have downplayed that, but not a real friend. Allen was a stand-up guy and the most generous of men."

He got emotional again when discussing Sydney, Australia, where I'd been living until quite recently.

"Man, that's a beautiful town you were in," he sighed. "Although I've seen a lot of the world, I didn't think I could live anywhere but North America. But then I toured Australia with the WWE, and I was all but crying when we left Sydney - I really feel I could live a good life there."

I hadn't expected such openness from the long-time member of the celebrated Four Horsemen faction, who always wrestled like a man who felt no emotion - or pain - at all.

chris-nancy-benoitgetty.jpg

When we were done talking, Chris introduced me to his wife, Nancy (above), who before she'd become Mrs Benoit was one of the hottest valets in the wrestling world. Fortysomething and still stunning, Mrs Benoit was delightful and charming in a the way that all really, really good-looking people are.

Fast forward precisely three months, and a text from friend informs me of the terrible news. Chris, Nancy and their nine-year-old son Daniel were all dead. A day or so later and the true horror of the story was revealed. Chris Benoit - that nice polite hero of mine - had murdered his wife of nine years, then, a full 24 hours later, killed his son using the Crippler Crossface 'finishing move' that was his trademark. After a leaving a Bible besides their bodies, Chris Benoit then walked into his gym and hung himself.

In the days and weeks that followed, one question was continually asked: 'Why?' And while the precise reason remained elusive, some remarkable facts came to light. Facts about Benoit's steroid in-take, for example. With a physique resembling a condom stuffed full of walnuts, few people were in any doubt that the Wolverine was devouring pills at an alarming rate. Benoit, though, had been illegally buying steroids on-line and using them to a degree that would nowadays result in a lengthy ban.

But if his drug use was regrettable, the extent of the brain trauma Benoit had experienced was quite extraordinary. A big fan of Japanese 'strong-style' wrestling, Benoit's no-nonsense technique resulted in such devastating physical injuries as a broken neck. And while he tore muscles and shattered bones, he suffered blow upon blow to the head. Of course, concussions and KOs are to be expected in pro wrestling. But when neurosurgeon Julian Bailes examined Benoit, he could barely comprehend the results. For the otherwise healthy 40-year-old had a brain resembling that of an 80-year-old Alzheimer's victim.

chris-benoit-tribute.jpg

In the wake of the Benoit murder-suicide, WWE Chairman Vince McMahon effected many changes. As the owner of a billion dollar, family-friendly entertainment company, McMahon had to rid himself of the bad publicity as quickly as possible. To this end, he introduced a Wellness Policy to encourage his wrestlers to distance themselves from drug-use.

Though it would have been convenient for McMahon to delete Chris Benoit from the history books, he was too good at what he did to be forgotten. Years later, any list of great wrestlers is still incomplete without his name. But leaf through those aforementioned gossip magazines or newspapers, and you'll see they all ask the same question: "What must it be like to confront pure evil?".

As one of the last journalists to met Chris before he died, all I know is that 'pure evil' was a soft-spoken, sad, but endlessly polite man who gave no hint he was heading towards such a violent and tragic end.

I thought this was a pretty interesting article, although like with so many wrestling articles it has it's inaccuracies, such as the Wellness Policy which was actually introduced following Eddie's death, I believe Benoit's prompted some new additions though. Also what's the deal with killing his kid with the crossface? I've heard that before but I assumed it was people joking. Also like the comment about deleting Benoit from the history books. Surprised the writer didn't realise Vince effectively has!

Oh and of course, what online article would be complete without a dumb comment:

Tuesday 02 August

By AndreTheHugeGiganticMuscleBoundIdiot

Which is better, Amy Winehouse alone and beautiful music or a man who murders his own family?

You choose.

Quite what Winehouse has to do with this I don't know :rolleyes:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The injuries on Daniel were consistant with what would be inflicted by a move such as a Crippler Crossface. Whilst not proof positive, it's as equally likely that he did as that he didn't.

• Paid Members
Benoit told Paul London to take a lass back to his hotel and shag her while Benoit and Noble yanked one off in the wardrobe. A was a lad, I'll give him that.

Sorry, I meant the Regal story.

Have we had a Benoit thread here since he died? I fucking loved Benoit, me. He was absolute class up until perhaps the last 18 months or so when he seemed to lose a step or two (not surprising given how fucked his head was I guess).

Had he not gone off on one, do you think he'd still be wrestling? Would he have followed Angle to TNA? In the era of two companies/thin spread of drawing power, he'd have done well I reckon.

• Moderators
Sorry, I meant the Regal story.

Not long before he died he phoned William Regal and asked him to come around so they could watch some AJPW tapes together. Regal turns up, and Benoit wouldn't let him in his house and kicked off about Regal coming over.

• Paid Members
Have we had a Benoit thread here since he died? I fucking loved Benoit, me. He was absolute class up until perhaps the last 18 months or so when he seemed to lose a step or two (not surprising given how fucked his head was I guess).

Had he not gone off on one, do you think he'd still be wrestling? Would he have followed Angle to TNA? In the era of two companies/thin spread of drawing power, he'd have done well I reckon.

From reports, he had to. The divorce from his first wife meant he had to continue wrestling for the rest of his days, according to a quoted wrestler who was a mate (I forget the name).

Not long before he died he phoned William Regal and asked him to come around so they could watch some AJPW tapes together. Regal turns up, and Benoit wouldn't let him in his house and kicked off about Regal coming over.

How do you know this?

Interview link?

Youtube source?

Seriousl;y, it's hard to distinguish facts from hearsay or plain made up bullshit these days, so pleaset build your statements up with a proper source!

• Paid Members
Wasnt he also shitting himself because Nancy was out the door as well? He wouldnt have been in the best situation if she had, if his already bad financial woes are to be believed.

Sounds right. She left him a couple of times (he was hitting her for years) and they were always having a shouting match.

Archived