Meeting Chris Benoit

DJ Kris

My comments are only negative wherever negativity is deserved. I'm not going to stand trial for everything I've ever said about anything but to address your misguided "painfully negative" accusation I've been complementary about Mark Henry, Sheamus, CM Punk, the blossoming Wade Barrett/Daniel Bryan feud and many other things lately, not that I'm suggesting that you're barking up the wrong tree here or anything.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not long before he died he phoned William Regal and asked him to come around so they could watch some AJPW tapes together. Regal turns up, and Benoit wouldn't let him in his house and kicked off about Regal coming over.

This is like a tragic/hardcore version of the Hogan Knows Best episode where Brian Knobs tries to wake Hogan up so they can watch WrestleMania VII together.

Did anyone here ever meet Benoit?

I came really close.

I was at Wrestlemania 18 fan axxess and was in the line for a photo with Benoit, when they changed up the wrestlers and I ended up getting a photo with Big Show. I was mildly annoyed at the time as Benoit was a favourite, though in hindsight, "here is a photo of me with a Giant" is far better than "here's me with a child-murderer".

It's actually one of the first things I thought of after the murders; I nearly had a photo of me shaking his hand while we both smiled together. That must be a weird souvenir for a lot of people who did meet him!

Derp. I post positively about a lot of things, it's not my fault if you zero in on the negatives and make sarcastic comments to make yourself feel like some kind of forum crusader here to vanquish people who disagree with your views on what's good and what isn't. I speak negatively about things I don't like, what now? I expect your next witty retort will be the old "you don't like what I like so I think you should leave", right?

:thumbsup:

Apologies here but I just wanted to say I agreed with your post! :laugh: No doubt I'll get an earful and a put down (be called a retard, a mong or something equally as pathetic for a bloody wrestling forum of all places! ;) )

In relation to Benoit, I guess I'm another one who can zoom out of the whole murder issue and enjoy some of his great matches from the past. His energy levels in matches were unbelievable to watch, like against Angle, Jericho and even Eddie.

Never met Benoit but at one of the events we both attended (I think it was a hof or the condemned premiere) I ended up down by the talent and as they were leaving he walked past the end up the aisle I was at. I didn't bother any of them as was trying to figure out how to leave myself but the thing I remember was how he was holding his son Daniel who had fallen asleep in his arms. Remember thinking how different it was seeing this guy who was always so vicious being a regular loving father. And now when I think of it I just think that one day in the not so distant future, he would kill that lad.

Really tragic.

Well there's a nice cheery start to the day :-)

Did anyone here ever meet Benoit?

I did. I can't remember if it was 2004 or 2005, but it was one of those meet and greet deals at the NEC. Of the five wrestlers there, Chris Benoit seemed to be the least enthusiastic. Even Tajiri spoke more than him. Benoit seemed like he didn't want to be there and had drawn the short straw of the main event wrestlers.

I met him in 2004 when WWE Travel Package members had a photo opportunity on the morning before WrestleMania XX in New York.

The Silver Package people got 2 Superstars (I think one of which was the mid-carder John Cena), the Gold Package people got 2 other superstars, and the Platinum Package people got a photo with Chris Benoit & Rey Mysterio.

I was so eager to wish Benoit luck for his WM20 match I pretty much ignored Mysterio. Neither of them said much.

Another good thing about that session was that they had 2 big screens showing the 'Mania of WrestleMania' documentary that had it's world premiere the previous evening. We had missed it due to queueing up for hours just to collect our tickets and freebies at the hotel, and the documentary looked awesome (which it is).

Another good thing about that session was that they had 2 big screens showing the 'Mania of WrestleMania' documentary that had it's world premiere the previous evening. We had missed it due to queueing up for hours just to collect our tickets and freebies at the hotel, and the documentary looked awesome (which it is).

Is that a common thing at the Axxess weekends, you have to miss stuff because you're queueing for ticket collection and whatnot?

Archived