UKFF User Artwork

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

hoggle-1.jpg

Hoggle off of Labyrinth done in pencil, scanned and cleaned slightly

blanka.jpg

Blanka and Chung Li done in pen and ink

wd.jpg

Had a go at redrawing the first full page zombie panel from the Walking Dead. Got a bit carried away and ended up doing the whole thing in pencil on A2. Pic isnt great sadly

• Paid Members

There's some amazing work in this thread, makes me want to get my easel out . I actually really like a lot of the stuff Richie's been posting. There's a slight air of Robert Crumb about it, and the fact Richie seems to have a slightly different world-view to most people gives them a very uneasy yet engaging feeling. It's kind of like seeing Manson's paintings :p I'd personally recommend you should feel free to abstract more, the most interesting elements for me are the less figurative ones.

I've got a degree in Fine Art, but I don't seem to draw or paint much any more. For the past couple of years I've been working on quite a big installation piece that I think may end up being a lifelong endeavour. It deals with tension between fiction and reality in a way that I don't really want to go into on a public forum as it would destroy the illusion, but I will say I received a lot of help and guidance from the artist Jamie Shovlin which will give you an idea of the type of work it is. I exhibited it at the Old Truman Brewery on Brick Lane and it went down quite well despite the fact that I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of where I can take it.

I do have a couple of unrelated pieces I can show. I like to see a lot of my work as similar to the comedian Stewart Lee's, in that you'd barely recognise most of it as art when out of context, but I do have a couple of more fun pieces I did to unwind after particularly emotional draining projects.

luchamasks2.jpg

This was a quick piece I did for my own living room after I'd spent 6 months working on a piece about wrestlers dying young and needed to remind myself that there was still a fun side to wrestling. Nothing too deep, but I wanted something nice and simple that I wasn't going to get sick of looking at.

Freedom_From_Information.jpg

Still not quite sure how I feel about this piece. I realise it's a ridiculously obvious idea, but it was something I'd had in my head for a while that I just needed to get out there. Annoyingly an almost identical project came out days after I finished this by a bigger artist that was tied to Morgan Spurlock's Greatest Movie Ever Sold, but I guess that's the danger of approaching obvious concepts. I originally made it to be printed on a long canvas, but never got round to it after I saw that other piece. It was still good fun to work on as I'm fascinated by the concept of creation through removal, and it was a therapeutic few days on photoshop digitally painting over every single advert, logo or piece of information in a location that's defined by exactly that. The original image is about 2 feet tall and fuck knows how long, and the removal goes right to the horizon line.

Edited by CoreyVandal

• Paid Members

After going through a lot and pretty serious mental health issues over this past weekend I need to try and keep myself busy constantly. I've decided to teach my silly hands to draw again. Since my huge neurological attack last year my hands are permanently half numb at best, sometimes I can't even hold cutlery. Not only would forcing my hands to be able to draw again be good for them for mobility but it will also keep my hands occupied and my mind focused. Two birds, one stone and all that.

So last night I decided to pick up a pencil for the first time in years and managed to try and draw Thor (or as I call him, Phwarr). Compared to how I used to draw I'm not happy with it but I'm still pleased with what I managed to get my hands to achieve.

7208198174_960c4bd974.jpg

• Paid Members

After going through a lot and pretty serious mental health issues over this past weekend I need to try and keep myself busy constantly. I've decided to teach my silly hands to draw again. Since my huge neurological attack last year my hands are permanently half numb at best, sometimes I can't even hold cutlery. Not only would forcing my hands to be able to draw again be good for them for mobility but it will also keep my hands occupied and my mind focused. Two birds, one stone and all that.So last night I decided to pick up a pencil for the first time in years and managed to try and draw Thor (or as I call him, Phwarr). Compared to how I used to draw I'm not happy with it but I'm still pleased with what I managed to get my hands to achieve. 7208198174_960c4bd974.jpg

Christ. If that's done with half numb hands, you must be a fuckin' helluva artist at full capacity as it were.

• 4 weeks later...