Favorite Single Episodes Of A Show

Joey Joe Joe Jr

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The recent love for the last two episodes of impact got me wondering whether people had any particular episodes of raw, smackdown, nitro, impact etc., which they particularly love or single out from others, as being great throughout which they still remember fondly.

The Bret Hart ambulence / Austin Street fight may have been the greatest episode of wrestling that has ever been produced.

• Paid Members

The Raw Mark mentioned was great. It was pure magic happening as you watched it. Started off with a great Austin interview, we find out we have a Austin vs Bret match, Bret gets put on the shelf, Shawn Michaels appears (which was rare at the time) and when you thought the night was over, BRIAN PILLMAN RETURNED!!!

The very first Raw is War was amazing as well. Especially at the time. I didnt know that Raw was now on Sky Sports for two hours or that the world had turned mad. WWF had hinted for months that things werent quite how they usually were, but it seemed on this night the WWF went completely mental. Swearing, faces acting like heels, heels acting like faces, Bret and Austin helping each other in the Sid vs Hart cage match because they had a match against each other and it was in their best interests to have the belt on Bret. Ken Shamrock even gave Billy Gunn a good kicking, and everyone at our school was saying "that was real that, he's a real fighter". It was bonkers. That'll always be my favourite Raw. I remember it getting to 10 o'clock and thinking it was odd that it hadnt finished yet. Its one of the big disadvantages of the internet and the availablity of wrestling in 2011. You dont get surprised anymore. If WWE decides to change the direction of the company or the time slot or the entrance way, we'll all know about it about 3 weeks before of something.

Probably the second Nitro when Scott Hall showed up. Sting slapped Hall in the face at the end of the show and said, "This is WCW. You're in the jungle BABY!". May not sound like much but at the time, I thought the nWo was such a great angle and I turned off the TV after that edition of Nitro thinking that I'd just seen one Hell of a show.

• Paid Members

I've said it before and I'll say it again, that Nitro from 2001 where The Cat puts Steiner in a series of matches to wear him down before his title defense against Nash told a masterful storyline. The entire show benefited greatly from it.

Bizarrely enough, I was going to search for the old version of this thread if it still exists, because I watched an episode of Raw that was a totally brilliant one-off which I had forgot about. It was Raw the night after KOTR '01. It's at MSG so Vince comes out pretty pissed off about Booker's run-in the previous night and says there will be no WCW shit going on in WWE's home turf. No siree. In the first match Mike Awesome shows up and wins the Hardcore title from Rhyno, then Booker and Shane hijack a WWF New York segment to mock Vince. In retaliation, Vince sends Austin and Angle (who had their first comedy double act segments on this show), to go and fuck them up, which eventually leads to Vince getting took out by Booker at the end of Raw whilst Austin and Angle flailed around all lost in the restaurant. The general feeling of invasion was in the air, Ross and Heyman played up to it brilliantly as well, particularly as JR showed no respect for Booker's actions despite clearly being the babyface when he struck. Also, DDP returned from his shitkicking at the PPV to murder Taker with a chair and rip out some of Sara's hair. The commentators again tied this with the WCW invasion of the WWF superstars.

Of course, even as I type it, the whole thing is a bit muddled, which would lead to the rather panicked Alliance formation and the whole thing going to total shit, but just as a one off episode, it as terrific. The crowd were really up for all of it too, which always helps.

Unrelated to this show-long storyline, Edge was crowned King of the Ring and absolutely brutalised Billy Gunn on the microphone. Brilliant segment. Billy Bitchcakes is even funny to read.

• Paid Members

[predictable] May 17th 1993 episode of Monday Night Raw, with Michaels/Janetty for the Intercontinental title and The Kid upsetting Razor. [/predictable]

Also the 16th September 1996 episode of Nitro :

(1) CRUISER TITLE Rey Misterio Jr vs Juventud Guerrera

(2) Diamond Dallas Page vs Ice Train

(3) Konnan vs Super Calo

(4) Brad Armstrong vs Hugh Morrus

(5) Randy Savage vs Scott Norton

(6) Glacier vs Big Bubba

(7) Ric Flair & Arn Anderson vs Chris Jericho & Marcus Bagwell

(8) Lex Luger vs Steve McMichael & Chris Benoit

Doesn't sound that special, right?

0.jpg

"I want a chance to explain something that happened last Monday night on Nitro. Last Monday night I was on an airplane flying from LA to Atlanta, when I got to Atlanta I tuned in the TV to Nitro and I thought I was watching a re-run. It was a very convincing film. Often imitated, but never duplicated though.

And what else did I see? I saw people, I saw wrestlers, I saw commentators and I saw best friends doubt The Stinger. That's right, doubted The Stinger. So I heard Lex Luger say "I know where he lives, I know where he works out, I'm gonna go get him!" So I said to myself I'll just go into seclusion, I'll wait see what happens on Saturday Night, and I tuned in Saturday Night and what did I see? I saw more of the same ; more doubt. Which brings me to Fall Brawl. I knew I had to get to Fall Brawl, to get face to face with the Total Package, to let him know that it wasn't me. And what I got out of that was "No, Sting. I don't believe you Sting!"

Well all I got to say is I have been mediator, I have been babysitter for Lex Luger, I have given him the benefit of the doubt about a thousand times in the last twelve months. And I carried the WcW banner, and I have given my blood, my sweat and my tears for WcW!

So far all of those fans out there and all those wrestlers and people that never doubted The Stinger, I'll stand by you, if you stand by me. But... but for all of the people, all of the commentators, all of the wrestlers and all of the best friends that did doubt me, you can STICK IT!

From now on I consider myself a free agent. But that doesn't mean you won't see The Stinger, from time to time, I'm going to pop in when you least expect it."

• Paid Members

From ECW, it's a close thing between the entire show built around the last Guerrero-Malenko match, and the show that's just a one-hour (or rather 40 odd minute) continuous stretch from WrestlePalooza 97 with the last Raven-Dreamer match segueing into Lawler's debut segueing into the Sabu-Taz rematch segueing into Taz winning the TV title from Shane Douglas.

I really liked the RAW where Punk took the title from Edge at the start and successfully defended it against JBL in the main event. It built up with Bradshaw hiring security, getting Cena kicked out whilst he tried to stake his claim to the #1 contendership and ended with that great visual of Cena and Cryme Tyme coming out and beating up JBL's goons, followed by Punk winning and diving onto all of them to finish the show. Damn good two hours of TV.

Archived