If Someone Broke Into Your House Whilst You Were Asleep...

David

I honestly don't know what i would do; used to think it over in my head when i was younger and still living at home going through all the "what if" possibilities.

Number one priority would be making sure my mum was OK, or girlfriend in current circumstances, keep them in the bedroom and tell them to phone police from their mobile or as it was back then the cordless house phone my mum always took to bed each night. Then get something from the room like a golf club or baseball bat and head downstairs.

I remember a retired copper telling us the majority of break ins to domestic premises come in via the kitchen which would probably be logical to the setup of my parents house and there is every chance that your old dear will have a block of Kitchen Devil knifes sitting handy for anyone to tool themselves up with once they are inside, assuming they weren't already kitted out, and you need to think about stuff like that before going charging in.

That being said i'd probably imagine the rank and file scum around here would be a couple of junkies who wouldn't weigh 8 stone soaking wet looking to steal a LCD telly and some jewelery ideally when the house was unoccupied - they would probably be equally or ever more scared than you'd be if you confonted them! However four blokes in balaclavas kitted out would be a totally different kettle of fish and sounds semi-professional.

It really is all hypothetical and I think any plan and arsenal of weapons would go out the window as soon as you were in that situation as fear, adrenalin and whatever else would take over. Hopefully never have to be in that situation though.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still, isn't keeping a knife under the fucking pillow a bit dangerous? What if she cuts her wrists, or her throat during the night? I know for a fact that I end up with my arms under the pillow during the night.

Why doesn't she keep it in a drawer next to her bed or something?

Aye, it's mad to have a knife in the bed with you. If I fall asleep writing, I'm covered in pen in the morning.

Still, isn't keeping a knife under the fucking pillow a bit dangerous? What if she cuts her wrists, or her throat during the night? I know for a fact that I end up with my arms under the pillow during the night.

Why doesn't she keep it in a drawer next to her bed or something?

Aye, it's mad to have a knife in the bed with you. If I fall asleep writing, I'm covered in pen in the morning.

I've noticed whenever I have to wake Mum up, she's coma-like, and I'm pretty much the same. I just lie completely in one spot for 8 hours, never toss and turn. I slept straight through a neighbour's party that apparently approached riot levels, extremely deep sleeper.

• Paid Members

Bloody hell. I wake up with at least one pillow and half the duvet on the floor. If I lie down while listening to music, I wake to find the headphones tangled around the bedpost and the MP3 player somehow beneath the bed. I've never gotten how some people can sleep so perfectly still.

Plus I have a loud, deep, aggressive voice and my bellowing threats as I'm on my way down might be enough for them to leg it anyway. They can take what they like as long as I and my family down't get hurt. I have insurance.

Are you Brian Blessed? "Gordons Aliiiiiiivvvveee!"

• Paid Members

OK a question to all the hard-nuts out there. Say you do give an intruder a good smacking with a full bottle of vintage blue nun, or another mentioned weapon.

What happens when, as is likely nowadays, they don't get put away by the police and decide to come back 2 nights later with 5 mates and some big fuck-off knives? Or something else in hand that beats your last weapon of choice (such as bringing a piece of paper to thwart the rock you beat them with last time, when all they bought was a pair of scissors)?

OK a question to all the hard-nuts out there. Say you do give an intruder a good smacking with a full bottle of vintage blue nun, or another mentioned weapon.

What happens when, as is likely nowadays, they don't get put away by the police and decide to come back 2 nights later with 5 mates and some big fuck-off knives? Or something else in hand that beats your last weapon of choice (such as bringing a piece of paper to thwart the rock you beat them with last time, when all they bought was a pair of scissors)?

The simple answer is to make the first move with something impressive.

A mate of mines favours a replica gun for such circumstances. If you appear at your living room door with a handgun the chances are they'll bolt for the nearest exit. Not only that, but 99% of burglars are low-life scumbags, not hardened criminals, so they'll likely never appear again.

Saying that, this was the same mate who shot a would-be thief through the thigh with a high power pistol crossbow when he caught them tampering with his motorcycle at 3am.

The motorcycle in question has been parked in the same location every evening since with no problem at all funnily enough.

• Paid Members

All this talk of knives under pillows. Very dangerous.

For a combination of safety and comfort, I recommend sleep with one open, gripping your pillow tight.

• Paid Members
It is now legal to stab burglars.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13957587

Good. Common sense prevails for once.

AAAAHHH...The article states (numerous times) you could already defend your home against an attacker. People praising the government for nothing, they're just making it simpler for people to understand...that is all.

In other breaking news it's now legal to go for a walk in the park....what a victory for our freedoms.

AAAAHHH...The article states (numerous times) you could already defend your home against an attacker. People praising the government for nothing, they're just making it simpler for people to understand...that is all.

And making it easier to understand isn't common sense prevailing?

• Paid Members

How is it? It's political point scoring by doing nothing. They current law's not being changed but people like Tommy, who posted the link, were seemingly under the illusion that somehow something's now different. Just because someone doesn't understand a law & a politician dumbs it down for them doesn't deserve credit.

Call it whatever you want, Mike, but when I see the Government put something in a format that people will find easier to understand (especially something as important as this) I think they deserve a bit of credit for it.

Archived