If Someone Broke Into Your House Whilst You Were Asleep...

David

The fact that some of the thieves were wearing balaclavas may add another factor to how you would react.

Terrorists?

I was thinking more along the lines of how you would view such a fact. I mean, there have been instances of "run of the mill" junkies in tracksuits breaking into folks houses to nab a telly or a dvd player or whatever, but when I think of someone with a balaclava for some reason I assume they are much more serious, and that they more than likely would have a gun or some sort of weapon.

That may just be me though.

I agree, the fact that it was a 'gang' in balaclavas adds to the level of danger to the people in the house, id have no problem doing what they did if I felt threatened in my own home, although I dont know the full facts, if they stabbed the guy 15 times then that is clearly murder and not self defence.

If it was a single person, unmasked etc then clearly stabbing someone isnt necessary and trying to detain the person would be enough but that isnt the case here.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if they stabbed the guy 15 times then that is clearly murder and not self defence.

Why? Surely it indicates a state of frenzy and therefore LESS premeditation?

I very much doubt these people would be charged with murder. Even Tony Martin was only charged with manslaughter wasn't he?

• Paid Members
I very much doubt these people would be charged with murder. Even Tony Martin was only charged with manslaughter wasn't he?

Nah, he was charged & convicted of murder as it was premeditated (he was lying in wait with the weapon & his house was boobytrapped). It was reduced to manslaughter on appeal when they found him to be mental.

if they stabbed the guy 15 times then that is clearly murder and not self defence.

Well I think it shows the actions were more callous than defending themselves, the object is surely to apprehend anyone in your home, stabbing somebody once or twice would do that and probably stop anybody else involved carrying on with their plans, stabbing somebody repeatedly is assault rather than self defence, its unnecessary force.

• Paid Members

I have a mobile next to my bed. I'd call the police, barricade the door and make a fuckton of noise so they knew they'd been rumbled (ground floor flat, so that not much noise needed) and wait for the police.

Its not hardman or anything, but Im not risking them hurting my wife.

I have a paranoia complex about home invasion so I've mapped out the scenarios plenty of times.

If I'm not alone it's the bat. Not for the burglars, mind you, but to trash my own house and make as much of a disgusting noise has humanly possible. And if the house is still occupied after that neighbour alerting, Sting psych out then for the burglars yeah.

If I'm alone fuck it. I'm straight out the bedroom window before they even reach the top of the stairs.

The fact that some of the thieves were wearing balaclavas may add another factor to how you would react.

Terrorists?

I was thinking more along the lines of how you would view such a fact. I mean, there have been instances of "run of the mill" junkies in tracksuits breaking into folks houses to nab a telly or a dvd player or whatever, but when I think of someone with a balaclava for some reason I assume they are much more serious, and that they more than likely would have a gun or some sort of weapon.

That may just be me though.

I agree. The fact that there was more than one of them and they'd clearly came prepared it wasn't a spur of the moment thing.

Using a knife against more than one person breaking into your home is reasonable in my eyes. It's not like you'd stop them without a weapon of some sort.

Well I think it shows the actions were more callous than defending themselves, the object is surely to apprehend anyone in your home, stabbing somebody once or twice would do that and probably stop anybody else involved carrying on with their plans, stabbing somebody repeatedly is assault rather than self defence, its unnecessary force.

It doesn't say how serious those 15 stab wounds were though, most could have been superficial and the poilice would still describe it as 15 stab wounds, it's possible that 14 of those 15 stab wounds didn't stop him, people can take serious amounts of damage when the adrenalin is flowing and still keep fighting.

If someone breaks into your home they deserve whats coming to them. People should have the right to defend their property.

Depends on whether they were aware there was a gang of them about, really. If you've already chosen to confront said scumbag and find there's more than one, the idea of 'subduing' one of them with minimum force until the police arrive is no longer an option, because as soon as you have one of them in an armlock or whatever, you've endangered your own life because his mate is just going to jump on you and kick fuck out of you. In this situation, I say reasonable force is whatever it takes to put one of the cunts down and remove the immediate threat.

• Paid Members
People should have the right to defend their property.
They do

I say reasonable force is whatever it takes to put one of the cunts down and remove the immediate threat.
As does the law.

• Moderators

I think my reaction would probably be to try to avoid a confrontation, but if it comes to it I imagine if I was scared enough I'd just keep swinging/stabbing until they stopped moving, then give them a couple more for good measure. I've seen enough films to know that if you hit em once and they go down, they're just gonna get back up and jack you as soon as you turn around.

Nah, he was charged & convicted of murder as it was premeditated (he was lying in wait with the weapon & his house was boobytrapped). It was reduced to manslaughter on appeal when they found him to be mental.

I'm pretty sure that it later came out that Martin has form when it comes to waving his shotgun about and I think has had run ins with the law since his release as well, he sounds like a nasty piece of work in general to me tbh.

As for myself I sleep with a Machete under the matress but I am more likely to phone the police then actually confront an intruder.

Actually did happen to me - literally while I was asleep.

Made it very clear that I had woken up (put radio & lights on etc...) but did not actually confront them; they fucked off empty handed

In retrospect the incident was scary as shit, but in the moment I was cool as anything

Actually did happen to me - literally while I was asleep.

Made it very clear that I had woken up (put radio & lights on etc...) but did not actually confront them; they fucked off empty handed

In retrospect the incident was scary as shit, but in the moment I was cool as anything

What came on the radio? In a situation like that, where you want to scare them off without physical confrontation, I suppose ideally it'd be some music that made them think you were a bit of a mentalist, like that song off Manhunter or something. Would be a bit shit having to potentially fight a home invader to the death to a soundtrack of 'Dancing Queen' or a cricket debate on Talksport, though.

Archived