If Someone Broke Into Your House Whilst You Were Asleep...

David

• Paid Members

I was getting tense reading that thinking the end result would be the homeowners went down for murder. Glad to see that isn't the case. Burglar got what was coming to him, you break into someone's home then if you get arrested/attacked/killed in the process then tough shit.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I very much doubt these people would be charged with murder. Even Tony Martin was only charged with manslaughter wasn't he?

Nah, he was charged & convicted of murder as it was premeditated (he was lying in wait with the weapon & his house was boobytrapped). It was reduced to manslaughter on appeal when they found him to be mental.

I'm pretty sure that it later came out that Martin has form when it comes to waving his shotgun about and I think has had run ins with the law since his release as well, he sounds like a nasty piece of work in general to me tbh.

I forgot he was originally convicted of murder. Classic example of mistaking commonality for causality - just because he was a nasty piece of work, doesn't mean it was premeditated. Anyway, it was overturned, which essentially sets case law if I understand things correctly. Has anyone since been charged with murder in this situation? Even manslaughter is harsh. Cameron's got the right idea on this one.

• Paid Members

It wasn't overturned, it was reduced to manslaughter on grounds of diminished responsibility due to the defense proving he suffered from 'paranoid personality disorder'. The jury found him guilty of murder as it was proven it was premeditated, mainly due to the fact that he had booby trapped his house & was sitting there with a loaded shotgun (which he owned illegally, he'd also lost his firearms licence after threatening other children with a gun for scrumping apples 5 years prior) in wait, hence both the action of killing & the premeditation were proven to the jury.

It couldn't have been anything other than manslaughter in this case, someone died as a direct result of his actions. It wasn't self defence as the child he shot was unarmed & he shot him in the back.

Couple of years ago (xmas eve eve actually) we were broken into. The guys somehow managed to pick the lock and steal the car keys that were on top of the table and get out without disturbing anyone. At the time I was absolutely raging and thinking the usual "if I'd have seen them or they'd have come upstairs I'd have killed them" but after a few days it dawned on me that I probably wouldn't have been able to do anything. I reckon once inside the cunts are just as afraid of being caught and would probably have something to defend themselves with (knife, gun etc).

The only thing that really stuck with me was that I felt really vunerable that someone was in and walking around my house whilst I was sound asleep.

I very much doubt these people would be charged with murder. Even Tony Martin was only charged with manslaughter wasn't he?

Nah, he was charged & convicted of murder as it was premeditated (he was lying in wait with the weapon & his house was boobytrapped). It was reduced to manslaughter on appeal when they found him to be mental.

I'm pretty sure that it later came out that Martin has form when it comes to waving his shotgun about and I think has had run ins with the law since his release as well, he sounds like a nasty piece of work in general to me tbh.

I worked with a guy who was his landing officer at Bullingdon Prison. According to him, Tony Martin is one of the most arrogant and patrionising men my collegue has ever had the displeasure of looking after.

I think a twatting round the head with something blunt and heavy is well justified. A stabbing is perhaps a bit unnecissary, but I don't think you should necessarily be prosecuted for it. The intruder might well have been planning to kill and rape your entire family, including your pets.

Shooting someone in the back with an illegal shotgun as they run away following an unsuccesful burglary attempt, however, does not fit my definition of 'reasonable force'.

Personally I'd probably leave them to it then claim the damage on the house insurance. The only things in my house with sentimental value or personal data which can't be replaced on them are in my room, so I'd just sit in there with the lights off, quietly armed with something unpleasant in case they came in and tried to sodomise me - or worse, pinch my laptop. Maybe aftershave to spray in their eyes? Seemed to work for Rick Martel. :thumbsup: Normally got an empty wine bottle about the place that could make for a reasonable club as well.

I don't think you can really know what you'd do unless it happened though. Instinct and/or fear would just take over.

I think a twatting round the head with something blunt and heavy is well justified. A stabbing is perhaps a bit unnecissary, but I don't think you should necessarily be prosecuted for it. The intruder might well have been planning to kill and rape your entire family, including your pets.

Shooting someone in the back with an illegal shotgun as they run away following an unsuccesful burglary attempt, however, does not fit my definition of 'reasonable force'.

Personally I'd probably leave them to it then claim the damage on the house insurance. The only things in my house with sentimental value or personal data which can't be replaced on them are in my room, so I'd just sit in there with the lights off, quietly armed with something unpleasant in case they came in and tried to sodomise me - or worse, pinch my laptop. Maybe aftershave to spray in their eyes? Seemed to work for Rick Martel. :thumbsup:Normally got an empty wine bottle about the place that could make for a reasonable club as well.

I don't think you can really know what you'd do unless it happened though. Instinct and/or fear would just take over.

Not a full one? That would be a devastating weapon, heavier and if the blow doesnt knock them out the alcohol in the eyes would sting like hell, plus if its red wine you could start commentating like Jim Ross during a Ric Flair match as he staggers swinging blind punches.

EDIT: Ive just read the full story and Sky News describe the man as being stabbed 'ateast once'. What does that actually mean? He wasnt stabbed zero times, great report there.

If we are going down the path of wrestling analogies having a loaded gun and a spare Kevin Kelly around is the way to do it.

• Paid Members

Years ago, I'd have said stab the f*ckers, but that would be over the top.

Try and restrain them, stick a few legit hurtful holds on them and wait for the Police to arrive, which might be a couple of days to be honest.

I was speaking to a guy earlier this week who saw his neighbours being burgled recently so ran out onto the drive and hit the burglar over the head with a hammer (although he didn't die) the police then came and he told them what had happened, one of the police officers wanted to take him in but the top police officer (forgot what you call them) made the call not to proceed any further and just had a quiet word that he shouldn't of done that but because he was caught red handed with a television they just let it go.

From a personal point of view I would do everything I could in that situation to get myself to safety and would stab them 100 times if that is what it took to defend myself, at the end of the day if your asleep and hear someone in the house (or walking up the stairs) then your not going to have time to think of what to do you will just instinctively either defend yourself or run and hide.

I know someone who's family were broken into, tied up and held at Gunpoint and two of the men in the house could handle themselves as well but they went for the girls first, so anyone who breaks into another property deserves everything they get as far as I'm concerned.

Years ago, I'd have said stab the f*ckers, but that would be over the top.

Try and restrain them, stick a few legit hurtful holds on them and wait for the Police to arrive, which might be a couple of days to be honest.

Piledriver? Sleeper? Stepover STF?

• Paid Members

Be careful what wrestling moves you do, self defence is fine but you don't want to get yourself in trouble. I saw a man get arrested once for a Jacknife powerbomb. What a farce.

Archived