The Championship and Lower Leagues Thread 2011/2

patiirc

To be fair I said to my Cov supporting mate there would be goals.

We were shit 1st half, deserved to be behind

2nd half blimey

Pitman deserved to go, Cov looked knackered though. Shame

Still, its not all over yet

Great result. I watched the first half in the pub and then they switched it to Spurs vs Norwich. I've now went from lookin at goin to Carlisle vs City next season to Wolves vs City!

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
To be fair I said to my Cov supporting mate there would be goals.

We were shit 1st half, deserved to be behind

2nd half blimey

Pitman deserved to go, Cov looked knackered though. Shame

Still, its not all over yet

Great result. I watched the first half in the pub and then they switched it to Spurs vs Norwich. I've now went from lookin at goin to Carlisle vs City next season to Wolves vs City!

Beautiful result. Shame we've lost Pitman but it kind-of proves he's still not a 90-minute man. Even without that hack he doesn't have the stamina to be a constant threat for the whole game. Kilkenny and Foster not being shit was a huge bonus, Skuse worked his socks off and Gerken's gone a long way in one weekend to show what he's capable of.

We're not out of the woods yet, but it's a glorious start.

• Paid Members

Just like Hull City to pull out a performance when it no longer fucking matters! Cracking today though, well pleased we've got over that stutter.

Gutted for Cov but hopefully they can do what Norwich and Saints have done!

Donny Rovers should be put out of their misery next week. Pompey will go too. Looks unlikely that Cov will escape now.

Southampton could win promotion now if something that I can't possibly live discuss happens.

• Paid Members

Hereford threw it away again, can see them bearing up for the Conference now, not what the club needed at all.

Shame Bath City went down from the Conference as well otherwise I would have had a chance for an away day game while I'm at uni (again if I get in) next season, but yeah team seems to have lost all the fight in them.

Shame we've lost Pitman but it kind-of proves he's still not a 90-minute man. Even without that hack he doesn't have the stamina to be a constant threat for the whole game.

Try telling this to some our faithful.. Instant Death

We're just about safe now. I like Keith Hill, and he's done it all on a shoestring budget - even though we've been pretty desperate recently, as you'll have all seen on Friday.

It'll be a struggle next season though, we need serious investment. Unfortunately this is unlikely to happen as nobody in their right mind would put any money into a club that gets 9,000 fans every week.

• Paid Members

Fleetwood missed the chance to be the first team promoted this season. Held 1-1 by Wrexham. Wrexham are unlucky. They've got 91 points already this season, could still get 103 and they are not going to finish top!

Could be a depressing day at the Keepmoat on Saturday. Donny vs. Pompey. If they draw and Bristol City win, they're both down. If Pompey win, Donny are down, if Donny win, Pompey are effectively down (definitely if Bristol get a point). It's ending in tears regardless.

Just noticed Chester FC were promoted yesterday. They're in to Conference North now. Pity for sides like North Ferriby, the big gates help. be a nightmare if FC United win the play-offs! There were 5,003 at Chester yesterday. The other 10 games in the division averaged 407 fans.

Jordan Mutch's goal in the West Ham Birmingham game the other day was a bit good wasnt it?

As for Pompey/Donny it is sad, but it's been coming for both for a while. We coulda shoulda woulda been there as well, but as per last season, a run of form around March has helped us, stay above the drop just about. Whether we stay up though is anyones guess

I'm good mates with a lot of Donny fans, and they just hate what's happened this season. They've stayed up over the last few years by building a good, hungry side under O'Driscoll who have passed the ball and really shown pride in the shirt and in their own performances.

This season, they've let that prick of an agent use their club as a shop window for players who deep down don't really care as they're getting paid by their parent club no matter what. And the performances have just not been there.

It looks like one from Bristol and Cov to join the bottom two, looking at the remaining fixtures, if you put a gun to my head I would say Coventry.

• Paid Members

Massive result for Reading last night, they look dead-set now to be a Premier League outfit again. Massive respect to McDermot, he's done a terrific job there. Hopefully he won't become a victim of his own success next season and Madejski (Sp?) keeps faith in him.

Massive result for Reading last night, they look dead-set now to be a Premier League outfit again. Massive respect to McDermot, he's done a terrific job there. Hopefully he won't become a victim of his own success next season and Madejski (Sp?) keeps faith in him.

Yep, hes come a long way since my local team Woking sacked him in 2000, another quality decision by our former board.

Fuck! Well done to Reading but I can't help but feel we were robbed. We were the better team on the night but they made there slim amount of chances count. Still the Premier league is within our grasp. More than what was expected by us for this season.

How many times have Reading smash and grabbed away from home though? Our game against them was actually reasonably even but they took their chances and we didn't. Certainly it wasn't one-sided to the extent of the Southampton game but then again, they were due for their luck to run out a little. Reading have been fairly fortunate that certain players have come to the boil at the same time. Le Fondre looked shit all season and is now scoring, Noel Hunt likewise. Jason Roberts has proved the catalyst because whilst they were clearly better than their position in October, they weren't champions material, that's for sure.

I was discussing this today with a guy from one of the newspapers in Ipswich and he was saying that he feels it has been a bit of a shit league this year. Nobody can string wins together, rubbish teams like Brighton are playoff contenders and everybody's reliant on loanees.

todays big win at home makes the race for second more interesting - looking at the fixtures we have bristol city (a) who are fighting to stay up, leicester (a) and hull (h) who should hopefuly both be playing for nothing whilst saints still have boro (a) fighting for 6th and coventry on the last day who could need a win to stay up.

could come down to goal difference making todays result all the more important.

To be fair the fact that Reading winning so many away games via "smash and grab" suggests its not an accident. Fair enough last night Southampton had a lot of chances, but Reading soaked up the pressure, relied on a fantastic goalkeeper and were very clinical when they needed to be.

It's not luck that this keeps happening, away from home against decent sides they set up in a way that allows them to absorb a lot of pressure and win like they do.

I think it should be looked at as a fantastic game plan coming off rather than them getting lucky, being dominated etc, sure they don't set out to concede so Manu chances, but the squad is set up in such a way that if the game does go that way, they can actually make that work for them and take advantage appropriately.

I'm really hoping Le Fondre and Kebe shine in the prem next season. Providing Reading keep what the set up.they have, including the manager I think they're set up well to compete next season.

Archived