Peter Staniforth

Iceman

Isn't that exactly the point you were arguing against though?

People are saying that (the likes of) PTW are a problem because they might give casual fans the impression that they are a good representation of UK wrestling (thus making all UK wrestling look shit). You can see how that might happen, when all Joe Public has to go on is a poster at a bus stop. They see an advert for "wrestling", they go to the show and it's total shit. Next time they see another (perhaps just vaguely similar) poster for UK wrestling they will instantly dismiss it because last time they had a shit night out.

No, that's the point I'm making. The "good" BritWres companies don't have enough about them to strongly distinguish themselves from the bad ones. Nobody's going to see a PWT (or IPW:UK) poster at a bus stop and confuse it with WWE. Having a shit time at PTW isn't going to put them off buying tickets for the next WWE or TNA show, but it could put them off stuff that looks to be on the same level. Now there's no way to force PTW-alikes to stop promoting, so the onus is on the groups who see themselves as better than that to raise themselves to a level where punters could never confuse the two.

That's fair enough, but there isn't a company at the moment (and probably far off into the future) in the UK that can distance itself from the "shit", as they don't have the money to do so.

With that being the situation (i.e. it isn't possible to suddenly get 'WWE sized'), then the problem IS with the shit at the bottom.

No, we probably can't ever get rid of the shit at the bottom - but that doesn't stop it being a problem. There are lots of things the world would be better without, but we can't get rid of it, that's life! Doesn't mean those things aren't A) shit, and B) a problem though.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Agreed. Pete's a friend of mine, and I can't defend him on here, and have told him as much, which is why I've never tried to.

Peter is probably too busy down the pub to care about the UKFF amd having his real life of being Lutons most famous man and having his way with some northern wench while wearing his Luton Town replica strip. :laugh:

So Mark Sloan good, Peter Staniforth bad? How do people feel about the UK Kid?

I thought you were against having a go at wrestling 'promoters' on a fan forum?

Didn't you take people to task for being "cunts" to Petey?

Is it that you are only happy to cuss people that you personally don't like?

I'm not specifically talking about PTW, but surely while 1 shit company on it's own can put off 100/200 people, the shit across the country collectively can do much more damage?

Not if the quality's good enough to shine through at the top.

There's awful comedy nights, awful clubs, awful raves, awful gigs, there's loads of utter shite in any entertainment industry. But for some reason, despite dire football and 20 fans turning up and other shite in the very bottom leagues, the premier league does ok, comedy does ok, raves do ok, the problem isn't the shite at the bottom, it's the lack of anything amazing at the top.

And all the peter staniforths in the country wouldn't have made a lick of difference 30 years ago, in fact they wouldn't have a got a look in or been able to book anyone. Things like ptw are a symptom of the decline in british wrestling, not a cause, the decline happened and shite like that turns up, as much hate as gets thrownn pete's way he didn't cause shit, and numerous other shitarses didn't cause shit, they just turned up after it all went to shite.

For the sake of argument, I think you've countered your own here. Yes, there are awful comedy nights, clubs, raves, gigs, etc., but your example of 30 years ago demonstrates WHY those other fields are less likely to suffer from bad elements in the industry than wrestling: there's an established, mainstream and well-paid framework to offset the bad.

Someone goes to a bad comedy night, they can simply hit the Hammersmith Apollo or the Comedy Store, and this will tell them not all comedians are shit. Same with all the other industries you mentioned. But when it comes to British wrestling as an industry, there's a significant enough lack of awareness of the better alternatives that people won't necessarily know there's anything better, and will therefore tune back in to WWE or TNA, thus hampering the growth of the British industry further.

The other element is critical mass - by itself, one bad promotion can't do much damage, this is true, but there are enough around the UK to be able to do quite a bit collectively.

See I'm not sure there are that many, certainly not many on ptw's perceived level of bad, if there were, they'd be getting the same grief on here. PTW sticks out because it's worse than the bottom of the barrell stuff. To be honest the all star holiday camp shows are probably more of the problem you suggest, they're just so by the numbers 5 year old friendly bland and they're all over country. If that's what you have to go on when it comes to british wrestling you'll walk away from it once you hit eleven years old and be embarassed to admit you ever liked it.

But no, I haven't countered my own argument, you can go to a mark sloan show, a 1PW show (yes problems with advertised talent but still an impressive show, start times and length aside) an IPW show, some of the others, there's good stuff and bad stuff out there. There isn't enough of the good stuff and that's not peter's fault.

Certainly seems that way doesn't it, it's odd to think that british wrestling won't progress while we're slagging off staniforth but will get sorted right out as long as we all agree the dirt bike kids a cunt.

For all we know sloan might turn out to be a paedophile though, then we'd be well fucked.

• Paid Members

"Leave Petey alone! People shouldn't be picking on him on a fan forum! But that UK Kid, he's a dick. Don't you agree?"

Stop being a dick, stupid dragon.

Now to address the claims that I am a "hypocrite". Your attacking Peter Staniforth because you basically don't like his company and the way he does business by taking the piss out of him and having a laugh at his expense. You treat Mark Sloan like he's royality or something and believe every word he says (which may or may not be true), and you refuse to comment on the UK Kid who although he is a decent wrestler and gets ex WWE guys to his shows, conducts his business much worse than your telling me Staniforth does! There are a lot of dodgy people in this business, which are nothing more than con men. Peter Staniforth doesn't sound like one of them. Also what the fuck makes most of you guys experts anyway?

Face it. Your just cyber bullies!

Anyway that doesn't answer my question, what do you guys think about the way the UK Kid does business then? Is he a god like Mark Sloan? If you think he's good stuff then enlighten me.

Okay, I won't be a dick! All hail Mark Sloan. Does that make me cool with you guys now?

Now to address the claims that I am a "hypocrite". Your attacking Peter Staniforth because you basically don't like his company and the way he does business by taking the piss out of him and having a laugh at his expense. You treat Mark Sloan like he's royality or something and believe every word he says (which may or may not be true), and you refuse to comment on the UK Kid who although he is a decent wrestler and gets ex WWE guys to his shows, conducts his business much worse than your telling me Staniforth does! There are a lot of dodgy people in this business, which are nothing more than con men. Peter Staniforth doesn't sound like one of them. Also what the fuck makes most of you guys experts anyway?

Anyway that doesn't answer my question, what do you guys think about the way the UK Kid does business then? Is he a god like Mark Sloan? If you think he's good stuff then enlighten me.

Okay, I won't be a dick! All hail Mark Sloan. Does that make me cool with you guys now?

Actually I haven't been cyber bullying Staniforth, I agreed with your point that hightlighting how shit PTW is does nothing for british wrestling, and indeed the degree of negativity he gets on here is out of proportion to his relevance and therefore does british wrestling more harm than he could ever do on his own.

However, to move from that to wanted to slag the UK kid is very hypocritical, yes, because it causes the same issue.

Of course there's alot of con men in wrestling, they also exist in comedy, music, prostitution, drugs dealing, banking (you'll notice I'm doing the list in reverse order of morals) and it's not big news. Conmen tend to get everywhere, into everything, to con people, cos they're con men, why discriminate against wrestling?

It's not new news fella.

No you're not cool, obviously, but then I'm arguing the point with you on a wrestling forum instead of drinking whiskey snorting cocaine and sodomising good looking sluts, so I'm not cool either (at the moment, but the weekend, ah the weekend may be a different matter). In fact you're a hypocritical prick, and a liar, if you ain't peter (which I doubt, but lets pretend for a bit) you're a mate of his who'se come on specifically to defend him, and made up a bizarre cover story about once trying to contact the bloke and failing but realising through this process what a worthy and honest man he is, which would make you one of wrestling's conmen (ish, I'm stretching but go with me here) which would make you, again, a hypocritical prick.

Besides, sloan's probably a paedo, shadey slopped forhead, you can always tell, and you want to hail him?

You're blatantly jon venables.

I think you'll find that (for the most part, and putting the odd personal grievance aside) most people's reactions to anyone/anything are based upon facts that have been presented to them....

PTW used to advertise on here in the UK Shows forum. However, their shows got really bad reviews. Petey has come on here defending it a lot in the past, and has often come across very badly. He ignored fair criticisms and went on rants. The poor quality of his shows was made evident to UKFF users because there was a lot of really crappy footage of matches and skits from PTW shows that everyone (rightly) said were shit. He plastered himself on advertising and posters (ahead of the 'talent') and used himself and family members in featured roles on his shows - despite none of them being very good at it.

These are the reasons a fair few people think that PTW is an embarrassment and that Staniforth is a bit of a tit.

Mark Sloan has successfully trained a number of the uk's top talent. His training school was very highly regarded, didn't seem to rip-off those who genuinely had no chance of ever 'making it' and closed up shop (despite still being a popular school) because Sloan had enough of half=trained "3 session wonders" going off and claiming to be fully trained FWA Wrestlers. Mark also now regularly puts on some of the best shows (arguably) ever seen on UK shores. The shows get great reviews from everyone, almost without exception, they run to time, sell well on DVD and make wrestling look good.

These are the reasons people rate A-Merchandise highly, and think Mark is a good thing for Uk wrestling.

It's not rocket science dude. People see things, take them in, and then form opinions.

The UK Kid has very little presence on here. He doesn't put up links to shitl youtube videos, he doesn't (that i remember, anyway) rant and bitch on here when people don't agree with him and generally I can't remember any occasions where he's been given any shit from ex-workers/trainees/customers.

He seems to have pissed you off somehow, and you want everyone to agree with you, despite there being no evidence to back you up.

• Paid Members

The only person I'm inclined to cyber-bully is yourself, stupid dragon, because you're more than living up to your chosen forename.

You say we're only "bullying" Petey Staniforth because we don't like his company. So if you then start ripping on the UK Kid because of a personal opinion, doesn't that just tar you with the same brush?

Stop trying to wind folks up, join in with other threads on here, and stop trying to defend a man who the masses here don't like. You're not going to win any thing.

In the interest of fair comparison & disclosure though, here's a clip of Iceman doing his "thing", followed by the shittest song (and band) for a promo video ever.

lol

I know I said I wouldn't post again but after seeing that I couldn't help myself, that had to be the worst thing I've seen in my life.

I remember the song and it brought back so many cringe worthy memories.

Everyone has a little dark secret that they don't want anyone finding out about and the WZW Light the fuse song is one of mine.

Whilst it brought back bad memories it also brought back some fond memories of WZW and the times we had way back then. We were a very young group that went from strength to strength and grew to be a solid little promotion that was responsible for promoting some outstanding shows with world class wrestlers.

I really don't think you can compare the two because whilst I will admit that the skit was really bad and I will be the first to admit that. You have to take into account how long ago that was and we all were young and still learning the job, no one is perfect straight away, we all have to learn and progress. And we did as is evident in the shows that were promoted later on by WZW.

Also money was put into the production, no wrestler ever worked for free and every effort was made to better the product.

Right the difference between PTW and the WZW and wrestlers that were shown in that clip is we were young and starting out with an ambition to get better, and we did. Whilst PTW and other shows of this nature don't care how they look, are only concerned on putting shows on to get the promoter over, don't pay the workers and ruin whatever town they run in.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane though.

Hope iam not back again lol.

Haha it's not quite the WrestleRock Rumble!

No offence to whoever did the video but i'm a video editor (cheap plug: youtube.com/bennith - available for all your wrestling needs! ;)) and i've never understood why people think quickly repeating the same clip 3 times is a good effect. Imo it looks horrible.

On a slightly loosely related question about Peter and PTW. I was going to ask what remix version of Lady Gagas song Peter uses? Trying to find it on youtube but to no avail.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who heard that and was interested. I did some digging and it's a cover by the band 'Disco Curtis'. If you have problems finding it (like I did), PM me and i'll send you in the right direction. :thumbsup:

• Paid Members
How do people feel about the UK Kid?

I actuallly really like him. He books D'Lo, Billy Gunn, Road Dogg and Hardcore Holly. He books real stars. And he was really funny and came across as alright on a podcast I heard him on a while back. I remember him saying Mark Sloan was a shit trainer though and that he shouldnt be taking credit for training Joel Redman because the UK Kid had already learnt him most of it anyway or something. I zoned out after he stopped talking about Bob Holly.

I'm really a bit surprised everyone's still talking to be honest....

But I may as well make a few 'real' comments here.

Firstly, much as we've never got on on here, thank you to Neil for clarifying that I was not posting on my own behalf. It's appreciated.

My mistake on here, on a personal level, was thinking it would be amusing to post somewhat 'in character', and have somewhat (okay, understatement) of a dig back at people. Wasn't the brightest idea, and as time goes by, you tend to realise it; but also realise it's a little too late to fix things.

I've never encouraged people to say anything decent about me on here, because I didn't see the point. People in my life know that despite always being in some kind of trouble, and having a loud 'reputation', I mean well, and I can honestly say that I'm really grateful for those of you who have spoken well of me in this thread so far and mentioned being a friend of mine. My problem and fault is that my rather loud behaviour in the past has caused people to gossip, and gossip and stories to spiral out of control. Some of what's been said has an element of truth in, sure, but a lot has been way off beam. My other problem and fault, is that I don't really have the ability to be too tactful, and generally just tend to say (or shout) what I think, and that brings people to a 'love or hate' situation. I have 'heat' with some people that will never fix, and that I'm no hurry to ever fix, and I have issues with people that I regret, and wish would sort out to just a point where there's no further problems. But don't we all?

I do try to avoid posting on here now somewhat, and am at a point in my life where I don't want or 'need' unnecessary drama, as I've had more in the last 18 months of my life than most people have in a lifetime, it seems. I'd tell you, and maybe some of you would understand; but I don't feel the need to go into details, as this is a wrestling forum. Those of you who know, know, and understand why I've been bitter and confrontational with pretty much the world. But it gets you nowhere. I'm trying my best to move it along, and take some positives from it, and sort things out in my life for the better.

I can't ask you guys to like my shows, and I actually DO appreciate full well that PTW is most certainly not everyone's cuppa. It's cool. I do it for those who do still feel wrestling should be fun, and want to have fun whilst doing it. And I understand that doesn't fit in with people's beliefs that this is a business, and to be taken very seriously. Again, it's cool, I've come to accept and appreciate that over the years.

Am glad to see my very random taste in music has come to be appreciated mind you, that version of 'Let's Dance' is rather sexy if you ask me.

I'm not doing this next thing for any other reason than to give it a wider audience since I have the opportunity, I had my contact details given by a fellow promoter, to a mum of a 13 year old boy in Scotland recently, who is a huge wrestling fan, and the lad Michael is going through some serious health issues at the moment. I've been promoting this page heavily on Facebook, and via some wrestling websites, and helped hook her up with WWE; and if you guys would like to click the link I'm about to leave, and even just leave a message of support; then I know they would really appreciate it.

http://www.facebook.com/MichaelMorriceTransplantSupport

Cheers,

- Petey.

Archived