Peter Staniforth

Iceman

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not going to name names for two reasons. 1) I don't want to drop anyone in it. 2) You probably won't know any of them anyway, like you said many people trained at the old FWA academy.

Though I'll tell you what I heard from a number of people and you can tell me if this it's true or not. The reason the FWA academy shut up shop (as well as a major reason why the old FWA company finished) was because Mark Sloan and co were only focusing on certain people who they thought could properly make the big time. So they had shit loads of guys who didn't have the WWE credentials (which lets face it is most people in general) who were left unsupervised to fuck about. Also I heard Sloan spent most of his time playing computer games, and not taking notice of what his trainees were doing. I know some one who properly fucked up his back because Sloan was in the other room playing computer games and left one of his less experianced collegues to supervise. I heard Sloan would properly have a go at people if they made one tiny mistake, and all the guys who left not fully trained went to other training schools with other promotions, or would wrestle for other promotions and be totally incompetant and say they learnt what they knew from FWA and Mark Sloan. This gave the FWA and the academy a bad name, which seriously damaged it's reputation, which was part of the reason FWA closed down.

That's what I heard, if you know otherwise then please inform me.

LOL. I can tell you if it is true or not, that is compelete nonsense. Please don't drag me into your silly games.

The reason the academy closed down is well documented and continues to be proved correct to this day by the constant stream of shit that turns up to people's training schools all across the country, any trainer worth it's salt will tell you the same.

As laughable as it is, i feel the need to address a few points. I am no doubt that people who failed to make an impact create stories regarding the coach, other students at all the training schools across the work etc etc, was I strict? Absolutely, that is why our training centre produced more stars that anyone in Europe at that time. People cannot deal with their own failure are always going to blame somebody else as it is eaiser that way.

Take somebody like Mark Haskins, he obviously had WWE credientals, he is 6'5 weights 25 stone, turned up with the John Morrison look and was a better worker than Shawn Michaels. Same can be said for Andy Simmonz, Aviv Maayan, Drew Galloway - I think the only guy that ever walked in with those Credientials as you put was Birchall.

It's funny how anybody that was "successful" never had to make up stories.

"Spent most of my time playing video games?" That was particulary impressive as the only training centre that had 2 rooms never had a single video game in it. Nice

We have a complete list of injuries and nobody ever "properly fucked up their back" on our watch. If, as you said they did it unsupervised then that is of course a different story. The sessions were pretty simple, if there was no coach in the room then you shouldn't be in the ring. EVERYBODY knew that.

"all the guys who left not fully trained went to other training schools with other promotions, or would wrestle for other promotions and be totally incompetant and say they learnt what they knew from FWA and Mark Sloan. This gave the FWA and the academy a bad name, which seriously damaged it's reputation, which was part of the reason ACADEMY closed down"

This is vaguely acurate when fixed, but I am not sure how you work that out to be my fault, it's actually pretty admirable on my part. People X comes along for 3 weeks, they find it too tough to train professionally, they go to school C where it is much easier, they tell the school they trained at the Academy as a way to get a foot up, as obviously our reputation sucked, they get to have their cake (Appearing on a show) and they are no good, people believe that they were trained with us (or not as the case maybe) and normally I would get a call or email asking for validation that this is infact my student.

95% of the time, they were not, I can have someone goto FCW and train for a few days and quit, does it mean they are trained by? no, it means they trained WITH.

I learnt the lesson (as does every coach/mentor/reasonable person) that if you are entrusted with somebodies dreams (Weather you choose to our not) that you become the reason for the failure, it is sad and ultimately heartbreaking to see somebody come with a dream and realise that they will never accomplish it. You can push them to their dream with your own belief, hardwork and dedication but when the reality dawns that they will fall short - many with look to aportion blame, and unfortunately people like me take the brunt of it. Sadly it is the case but it's human nature.

• Paid Members
No it doesn't, and really super dragon has kind of a point. PTW plays to tiny, tiny crowds in luton, so at most it could only turn off those people from british wrestling. Maybe over the course of it's existence they've turned off 100/200 people? The idea that it's peter's fault wrestling is in a state is ridiculous and moronic, he is not and could not be important enough to have a real affect on british wrestling.

I'm not specifically talking about PTW, but surely while 1 shit company on it's own can put off 100/200 people, the shit across the country collectively can do much more damage?

I do agree with you though, the amount of shit Peter gets on here is OTT and from people who just wanna have a go over the internet, most of which have likely never been to a PTW show.

No it doesn't, and really super dragon has kind of a point. PTW plays to tiny, tiny crowds in luton, so at most it could only turn off those people from british wrestling. Maybe over the course of it's existence they've turned off 100/200 people? The idea that it's peter's fault wrestling is in a state is ridiculous and moronic, he is not and could not be important enough to have a real affect on british wrestling.

I'm not specifically talking about PTW, but surely while 1 shit company on it's own can put off 100/200 people, the shit across the country collectively can do much more damage?

I do agree with you though, the amount of shit Peter gets on here is OTT and from people who just wanna have a go over the internet, most of which have likely never been to a PTW show.

Completely agree with everything in those posts. The OTT attacks on some of the independent feds are off putting (1.. to avoid the shows and support wrestling, but 2... to avoid british wrestling altogether), I guess someone searching for local wrestling will come across this site, hence how I found it, and reading some of the threads it is possible it might appear to some that the UK wrestling scene is full of vitriol and negativity albeit on strangely comedic level.

However I am an idiot and it kind of makes me want to go to see PTW to see what the fuss is about... :laugh:

Not if the quality's good enough to shine through at the top.

There's awful comedy nights, awful clubs, awful raves, awful gigs, there's loads of utter shite in any entertainment industry. But for some reason, despite dire football and 20 fans turning up and other shite in the very bottom leagues, the premier league does ok, comedy does ok, raves do ok, the problem isn't the shite at the bottom, it's the lack of anything amazing at the top.

And all the peter staniforths in the country wouldn't have made a lick of difference 30 years ago, in fact they wouldn't have a got a look in or been able to book anyone. Things like ptw are a symptom of the decline in british wrestling, not a cause, the decline happened and shite like that turns up, as much hate as gets thrownn pete's way he didn't cause shit, and numerous other shitarses didn't cause shit, they just turned up after it all went to shite.

Completely agree with everything in those posts. The OTT attacks on some of the independent feds are off putting (1.. to avoid the shows and support wrestling, but 2... to avoid british wrestling altogether), I guess someone searching for local wrestling will come across this site, hence how I found it, and reading some of the threads it is possible it might appear to some that the UK wrestling scene is full of vitriol and negativity albeit on strangely comedic level.

Here's the thread about IPW's new show http://ukff.com/index.php?showtopic=125996 a fed which are generally considered on here to be doing it right and putting on quality with the right attitude and levels of being a pro etc etc. You'll notice it goess two pages.

This thread, with the name of a shitty promotor at the top, does 17 pages?

That's the irony, in the name of caring about british wrestling people far more people on this forum will join in to create negative publicity for the shite than to create positive publicity for the quality.

Peter staniforth does more damage as a result of this forum, because what should be a minor league tiny embarassment in luton that no-one's ever heard of gets blown up on here as all that's wrong with british wrestling and suddenly an independant observor might look in and think it's representative of the scene as a whole.

• Paid Members
And all the peter staniforths in the country wouldn't have made a lick of difference 30 years ago, in fact they wouldn't have a got a look in or been able to book anyone. Things like ptw are a symptom of the decline in british wrestling, not a cause, the decline happened and shite like that turns up, as much hate as gets thrownn pete's way he didn't cause shit, and numerous other shitarses didn't cause shit, they just turned up after it all went to shite.

I just wanted to quote this last paragraph since it hits a few nails on the head, particularly the bit in bold.

Here's the thread about IPW's new show http://ukff.com/index.php?showtopic=125996 a fed which are generally considered on here to be doing it right and putting on quality with the right attitude and levels of being a pro etc etc. You'll notice it goess two pages.

This thread, with the name of a shitty promotor at the top, does 17 pages?

That's the irony, in the name of caring about british wrestling people far more people on this forum will join in to create negative publicity for the shite than to create positive publicity for the quality.

Peter staniforth does more damage as a result of this forum, because what should be a minor league tiny embarassment in luton that no-one's ever heard of gets blown up on here as all that's wrong with british wrestling and suddenly an independant observor might look in and think it's representative of the scene as a whole.

and bugger me Kiffy if you haven't just done it again! There is too much focus put on the negative while the positive gets over looked. Such a shame.

yeah thats about right, I cant comment on PTW as I have never been but there is a fair bit of negativity again forums just seem to breed this kind of thing so most savvy people can take it with a pinch of salt, its just the casual fan might stay away reading some of it and i think wrestling here needs the casual fan to grow, or maybe not, I dont know im just a consumer.

With regard to Mark Sloan being a 'bastard' to train with (i think thats the word used). My understanding (admittedly only from reading various bios and interviews) was that all wrestling trainers worth their salt were bastards because they work noobs like a dog to find out if they have the commitment/balls to wrestle. A potential trainee who has a problem doing 1000 pushups and getting dropped on his back hard from 7 feet in the air isn't going to be worth wasting the time and effort on when the next Shaun Michaeals or Hulk Hogan could be getting turned away because you haven't got any places.

• Paid Members
yeah thats about right, I cant comment on PTW as I have never been but there is a fair bit of negativity again forums just seem to breed this kind of thing so most savvy people can take it with a pinch of salt, its just the casual fan might stay away reading some of it and i think wrestling here needs the casual fan to grow, or maybe not, I dont know im just a consumer.

It's not just wrestling either. People with a greavance have much more to say for themselves than a satisfied customer. A company I used to work for, if you googled their name you wouldn't want to go near them, there was so much bad stuff out there. However, to put into context, the company was in business for 30 years, the amount of satisfied customers made the rest just a blip. Of course these satisfied customers would choose to write a letter of thanks to the company rather than post on the internet and on the rare occasion someone did speak up for us against the naysayers they would be accused of being a member of staff.

If only happy people talked more :/

Ok, wow, in less than 24 hours looks it like some people are already starting to see my point and with neil the moderators comment we can also confirm now that I am actually not Peter Staniforth afterall!? Haha.

Mark Sloan himself directly answered one of my comments! I am not going to judge or critise Sloan because for one thing it wouldn't make any difference if I did, he'll still do what he does. Just like Stanifiorth will still do what he does regardless of what people say. Sloan has a company to run and a reputation to keep so he's not exactly going to say "Yeah, guy I've never met before over the internet who calls himself the stupid dragon and has only been here for five minutes, I'll confess I am completely neglectful of my trainees and have consistantly crippled people with my awful training and FWA went down the pan all because of me. Sorry." Though yeah, maybe Sloan is a decent, highly professional and well respectable man. Who knows?!

However what I do know from first hand experiance of the British wrestling scene is that there IS a lot of corruption and dodgy dealers out there. I went to a VPW training session with the UK Kid (I am naming his name because this guy really needs to be dropped in the shit), he was an hour and a half late, and when he did turn up he looked stonned off his tits, and then sat on the top turnbuckle eating a McDonalds burger whilest telling us how to do wrist locks! This from a guy who says he educates his trainees about nutrition.

The reason I got on here was because it's embarrissing to see people behave like this. It's because the industry in this country is ran by bitchy, two faced, wannabes, and they are wannabes. Don't tell me Danny Rodd is anything more than that! British wrestling is a joke because most of the people in it are a joke.

At this rate British wrestling will only really go somewhere, when pigs fly, no wait, when Alex Shane goes bowling with Barack Obama!

P.S. I am not Peter Staniforth. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

• Paid Members
Mark Sloan himself directly answered one of my comments! I am not going to judge or critise Sloan because for one thing it wouldn't make any difference if I did, he'll still do what he does. Just like Stanifiorth will still do what he does regardless of what people say. Sloan has a company to run and a reputation to keep so he's not exactly going to say "Yeah, guy I've never met before over the internet who calls himself the stupid dragon and has only been here for five minutes, I'll confess I am completely neglectful of my trainees and have consistantly crippled people with my awful training and FWA went down the pan all because of me. Sorry." Though yeah, maybe Sloan is a decent, highly professional and well respectable man. Who knows?!

Plenty of people know actually. Mark has an excellent reputation as a trainer and as a all round good guy. He doesn't get that reputation by being neglectful and crippling people. You might want to think about that before you keep harping on about something you supposedly only know of through second hand information from bitchy Johnny come nevers. Also is it not true that Mark was no longer running FWA by the time it closed? I'm pretty sure I heard he was bought out long before that, although I could be mistaken.

However what I do know from first hand experiance of the British wrestling scene is that there IS a lot of corruption and dodgy dealers out there. I went to a VPW training session with the UK Kid (I am naming his name because this guy really needs to be dropped in the shit), he was an hour and a half late, and when he did turn up he looked stonned off his tits, and then sat on the top turnbuckle eating a McDonalds burger whilest telling us how to do wrist locks! This from a guy who says he educates his trainees about nutrition.

I once saw Paul Gascoigne sit back and get drinks poured into his mouth like a dentist's chair. From this, I can tell that Alan Shearer is an alcoholic and probably beats his wife.

Ok, wow, in less than 24 hours looks it like some people are already starting to see my point and with neil the moderators comment we can also confirm now that I am actually not Peter Staniforth afterall!? Haha.

The reason I got on here was because it's embarrissing to see people behave like this. It's because the industry in this country is ran by bitchy, two faced, wannabes, and they are wannabes. Don't tell me Danny Rodd is anything more than that! British wrestling is a joke because most of the people in it are a joke.

At this rate British wrestling will only really go somewhere, when pigs fly, no wait, when Alex Shane goes bowling with Barack Obama!

P.S. I am not Peter Staniforth. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'm not really seeing most of your points, you've come on here to defend a person you've never met, and done so my slagging off one of the most respected names who'se done most for british wrestling, and then started slagging the uk kid, it's the same fucking thing you're saying shouldn't be done. And in the case of Mark, well out of line. In the case of the uk kid, it's unhelpful focusing on the shite in the same way it's unhelpful focusing on the shite staniforth puts out.

I don't believe for a second you're not connected in someway to staniforth and quite frankly the approach you've taken makes you look a hypocritical cunt, even if you were a simple outside onserver.

I think that peoples need to jump on ptw is a sad indictment of the forum, and possibly people, as a whole, there's a definate gang mentality and it's definately unhealthy for british wrestliing to give an embarrasment so much attention.

However, you're response is no fucking better.

Archived