WWE Raw 13/06/2011 3 Hour "All Star Night"

Cobra1000

I thought it was alright. Austin was on top form, as was Punk. Truth was good again. Crowd made the 399846958653439067th meaningless Cena vs Punk main event still seem exciting, and despite myself, I'm interested in Kofi vs Ziggler at the pay-per-view. Not interested in Yet Another Instalment of Rey vs Punk, though. The cunts have wrestled on each other on fifty episodes of Raw lately, on top of their seventy dozen Smackdown matches last year, and have no particular issue at the moment. Still, I'll be nicking it regardless.

Though Piper was crap again after his pre-Survivor Series appearance was great. Miz was better in the Austin bit ("Can I speak now?") than the Piper's Pit.

Ryder was the thing I was most looking forward to. They should've found something for him to do, the bastards, even if it was making the Kofi tag match a six-man. I'd have loved to see him interrupt Austin at some point in the ring though.

I have zero faith in the 'E with regards to Ryder. I'm preparing for the worst and if I'm hopefully proven wrong it will be a nice surprise. I can see him being given a few minutes on Raw in the coming weeks against hacks like Yoshi Tatsu with absoloutely no chance whatsoever to showcase what made him popular on YouTube in the first place so that the office can point to the dead crowd reactions and say 'See, Zach? You were just a cute internet niche'.

They could also point to the Internet itself and say "See, Zack? Half the people who say they like you can't even spell your name right."

They need something to get us through the summer, and its not fucking Ron Killings. Last year it was the Nexus, year before that it was the awesome Jericho vs Mysterio feud.

Are you seriously comparing a bland Intercontinental title feud to the absolute shocker of the Nexus invasion? Truth's already far more entertaining than Jericho's "angry man in a suit" act was in 2009 (until he mated up with Edge and then Big Show, at least).

They apparently detest the online fanbase, shitting all over it as a tiny 9-10% percentage of the demographic.

I know, it's weird. From WWE's combative attitude, you'd think the online fanbase is anti-WWE or something.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CM Punk continues to be the best thing on Raw, his excruciatingly brief exchange with Austin was easily the best thing on the show.

R-Truth's heel turn has been disappointing, I don't believe he has any chance of wining the title and I really wish he'd give that "little jimmy" routine a rest and go back to blowing cigarette smoke at people. No matter what Truth does I can't see him as anything other than a cartoon villain, he hams everything up so much that I don't see him as a legitimate threat to anyone.

Miz not being allowed to get a word in when he was in the ring with Austin only made Miz look like a chump, the Pipers Pit segment was good until Roddy appeared to have some kind of brain hemorrhage at the halfway point and started rambling nonsensically. I guess Miz will be beating Riley at the PPV because he's been beaten up pretty badly every week for the past three or four Raws.

I know that the Diva segments aren't supposed to be taken seriously but what the fuck was that "tribute to broadway" thing about? I'm pretty sure that the current crop of Diva's are the worst in the companys history, the ones who blatantly can't work get all of the TV time and the ones who can get virtually none.

It's difficult to believe that in 2010 Wade Barrett was one of the biggest heels in the WWE, now he's on a show nobody watches wearing a belt that doesn't mean anything heading towards a match with an opponent that gets virtually no reaction from the audience.

If I had to describe the WWE in one word it'd be "stale", there's nothing new going on or anything worth getting excited about, even Christian's heel turn has been spoiled by the fact that he's gone down the same "blame the fans" path that R-Truth is currently on. The only good thing about Christian's heel turn and feud with Orton is that at least we'll get some good matches out of it.

They could also point to the Internet itself and say "See, Zack? Half the people who say they like you can't even spell your name right."

In my defence I was very tired and got some sort of contact brain scramble from watching William H. Macy play Roddy Piper for the night.

I'm glad you picked up on it though. I definately know it's Zack now.

• Paid Members
They apparently detest the online fanbase, shitting all over it as a tiny 9-10% percentage of the demographic.

I know, it's weird. From WWE's combative attitude, you'd think the online fanbase is anti-WWE or something.

Sarcasm aside, it all depends on which you think came first: the hatred or the combativeness. Especially as the "haters" in question are actually watching WWE and clamouring to see one of their workers, a guy who, as far as I know, was never an Internet darling in the regular meaning of the word, has never wrestled indy style, and who has a strong character in the tradition of the WWF/E.

They need something to get us through the summer, and its not fucking Ron Killings. Last year it was the Nexus, year before that it was the awesome Jericho vs Mysterio feud.

Are you seriously comparing a bland Intercontinental title feud to the absolute shocker of the Nexus invasion? Truth's already far more entertaining than Jericho's "angry man in a suit" act was in 2009 (until he mated up with Edge and then Big Show, at least).

I was comparing that those were the things in the summers of previous years that were interesting on wrestling tv. The Mysterio masked thing has been done before but nobody did it better than Jericho and it was one of my favorite fueds both of them were involved in. They had 3 awesome PPV matches, Judgement Day, Extreme Rules and The Bash. While the Nexus was more about shock value than quality wrestling it was entertaining tv.

I can't see R-Truth providing the goods either way. Yes he is a lot better than his dancing rapping thing, but its still a long way from being you know good.

• Paid Members
The Mysterio masked thing has been done before but nobody did it better than Jericho and it was one of my favorite fueds both of them were involved in. They had 3 awesome PPV matches, Judgement Day, Extreme Rules and The Bash.

Agreed. The Mysterio/Jericho feud was nowhere near bland, it was a nifty little rivalry. Never going to set the world alight, but entertaining and enjoyable.

• Paid Members

I love how the brand split and logic in it has become so unimportant and meaningless that nobody has even batted an eyelid to the Raw GM threatening to strip a Smackdown title off someone. That segment was a complete waste of time.

Can't spoil the match for those who want to see it unspoiled later but I can say, that crowd was on fire for Ryder, wonder if they'll mute it down for TV.

Would that reaction have been the biggest of the night? As i refuse to watch RAW I can't say myself.

You know what really bugged me about Raw and has been bugging me for a while? Cena is the ONLY person who gets a reaction. A proper reaction not a second long pop or boo.

Sure guys like Riley and Austin got 'we want..' or 'lets go..' chants but absolutely NOTHING compared to the Punk/Cena match reaction. I wasn't sure if at first people were cheering Cena then cheering CM Punk, but by the end of it I'd decided it was a boo Cena/cheer Cena routine.

That kind of noise and reaction hasn't happened on a sustained level like that for a long long time. It felt like an Attitude era crowd for that one match and sadly, I don't think CM Punk had anything to do with it. Purely Cena.

No-one, not even Austin, Piper or The Rock has gotten a reaction like that in over ten years. Back in the Attitude era guys like The Godfather got that reaction and the headliners got an even bigger reaction.

Quite worrying really. I know its a different era, the crowds and business have changed loads but it really depresses me that the biggest reaction of the night was a crowd booing the companies top fan favorite. Its been happening for a while but FAR more evident last night than at anytime.

• Paid Members

That Divas match was incredibly pointless. Fourteen Divas in the ring, how many of them actually worth anything in terms of illiciting a crowd reaction? Only three of them got in the bloody ring, they could have the same match with less than half the number of girls. Beth looked like a bland nobody walking out with all the other bland nobodies.

Seeing Punk jaw with Austin inspired a small mark out from myself, as I regressed to still not quite grasping how far that lad in the Pepsi shorts has come. Must admit while it's slightly lame that they are re-treading Punk v Rey, at least the matches are always decent.

Ashamed to say I laughed at Khali's part in the Obama sketch.

Wow, what a voiciferous anti-Cena crowd! You could have told me they were in Chicago, I'd have believed you. In fact, given that he was wrestling Chicago Made Punk, that would have made even more sense. Still, I'm one of those who is sick to death of Cena, so seeing him lose to Punk was fine in my book, especially because it added to the Cena/Truth build up. Not a dog's chance in hell Truth will win (any takers?) but I'd still quite like to see how it plays out.

This was tragic. It felt like I was watching each episode of Raw from the past few weeks all combined into 3 hours.

The highlights were Stone Cold being completely on form, and the crowd being on fire. That was it.

Capitol Punishment looks pretty shoddy too. The only match I can actually say I'm looking forward to is Orton vs. Christian based on their past few matches. My interest in R-Truth has gradually decreased and, while he's miles better than most right now, he's pretty much doing the same thing over and over again.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Khali in the Obama interview was the best thing he's ever done.

Archived