(Very) Early WrestleMania 28 plans

Doog

Triple H vs Miz at Mania I agree with entirely. Perfect match to solidify Miz as a main eventer. Unsure whether I'd have Miz win or just look really strong in defeat.

Triple H is good at making guys look good in defeat these days. Along with Shawn Michaels, DX made Legacy look like legit contenders at Summerslam in 2008. He made Sheamus look strong as hell in defeat at Mania a couple of years ago too. I think even a strong defeat would benefit The Miz infinitely more than any match that he's won recently.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How long does Triple H have left? I would like to see a streak vs career match, which will see either of them leave after being beaten.

That would just be a pure repeat of the Undertaker-Shawn Michaels feud. Still better than Undertaker vs Jericho, though.

If Jericho did re-sign, I'd much rather see him face Undertaker than Triple H. We've seen HHH vs Undertaker a million times, and Taker vs Jericho a couple of times on Smackdown which no one would remember. Jericho's character would be brilliant for this particular Undertaker feud. It's been made abundantly clear, especially at WM27, that Taker is slowing down and his body is breaking down. I'd have Jericho's cerebral character state that he sees through the smoke and mirrors of the Deadman, and through that smoke he sees a beaten down old man. Now we've had the "I'm not afraid of the Undertaker" schtick plenty of times before, the difference been the heel always flips out as soon as the lights go out or smoke fills the arena. I'd do a bit where Taker attempts that, but Jericho, instead of getting scared, beats seven shades of shit out of Taker. The following week, maybe the go home show for Mania, I'd have Taker show up in normal clothes, out of character, and express doubt in himself. Jericho would interrupt, taunting him, and in response Taker attempts to turn the lights off, but they only flicker, and a massive pull apart brawl commences, with Jericho gaining the advantage. Taker attempts to sit up following the beating, fails, and pulls himself up on the ropes, looking defeated. Roll into Wrestlemania, Taker looks vulnerable, Jericho looks strong.

• Paid Members

As son as I saw the news of Shaq's retirement on Sky, I texted a mate and told him I expected Shaq vs Show for the semi-main of Mania next year, particularly with the Miami connection.

Would really enjoy seeing it happen.

I just don't buy Chris Jericho being the one to stop the streak. If that match was announced then even with a good build I'd still go into the match not with much hope. I wan't to be able to buy into the idea that The Undertaker can lose, and I don't think I can do that with a glorified jobber to the stars.

• Paid Members

I can see them doing a Triple Threat for the Streak. Undertaker v Triple H v Shawn Michaels (maybe Chris Jericho). It makes sense, as it means somebody else can help carry the workload.

I think a Chris Jericho v The Miz feud makes more sense. Jericho spent a month jobbing to Undertaker on Smackdown.

• Paid Members
Firstly that news article is bollocks. I very much doubt WWE has any matches but Cena/Rock in their heads. WWE isn't know for it's long term booking these days.

I'm pretty sure when it comes to WrestleMania WWE always has it's long term plans in mind. Sometimes they happen, sometimes they don't but I fully expect them by now to have some ideas.

Regarding Undertaker, the Jericho idea doesn't appeal to me AT ALL, nothing about it has me wondering who might win and certainly he isn't someone I believe Undertaker should be losing to. That said, I don't really want to see a WrestleMania rematch with Triple H, that'd be too much like Shawn made worse by the fact that it's right after.

• Paid Members

Jericho usually gets dropped off the likes of Rey Mysterio, Kofi Kingstone and goes down for 80 counts of fat ex-boxers and ancient actors. He's so up and down the card and appears on every show that he's never been credible enough to do mega things as a headliner. Its not a Mania match for me. Its already a stretch to even think that Undertaker might have a chance to lose when he's in gripping feuds with protected megastars like Batista, Edge, Shawn Michaels and Triple H. I think I would be so sure of Jericho losing that night that I'd actually put my bellend on a chopping board until I was proved right. For me, its another match with Triple H, a John Cena match and someone massive like Rock or Austin, and then thats all there is as far as being anyone who can do a combination of drawing a buyrate, having a chance of ending his streak and giving him the big match atmosphere.

I can see them doing a Triple Threat for the Streak. Undertaker v Triple H v Shawn Michaels (maybe Chris Jericho). It makes sense, as it means somebody else can help carry the workload.

I think a Chris Jericho v The Miz feud makes more sense. Jericho spent a month jobbing to Undertaker on Smackdown.

Was going to say, i'd love that match, lot of very similar character traits, and their rise to the top was kinda similar too as in guys who at first people didnt buy as a World Champion, but they 'proved people wrong', beating Rock and Austin in the same night, and beating Cena in the main event of WrestleMania etc, be a really good feud that.

Im not really sure who i'd like to see Undertaker face, I definently don't want Triple H/Undertaker again at WrestleMania, and we can't get Cena/Taker next year, so other than Brock Lesnar coming back, theres no one on the current roster i'd be interested in Taker facing at Mania.

I reckon Rock/Cena will sell WrestleMania next year anyway, as in that match alone will draw a massive buy rate, so whilst the other matches are important, obviously, the main event is arguably the biggest main event they've had since probably Rock/Hogan.

I expect it to be hhh vs taker, but if nota returning Batista with build up of him being shown mma training saying in his time away he has learned ways to beat undertaker, would appeal to me

How long does Triple H have left? I would like to see a streak vs career match, which will see either of them leave after being beaten.

That would just be a pure repeat of the Undertaker-Shawn Michaels feud. Still better than Undertaker vs Jericho, though.

If Jericho did re-sign, I'd much rather see him face Undertaker than Triple H. We've seen HHH vs Undertaker a million times, and Taker vs Jericho a couple of times on Smackdown which no one would remember. Jericho's character would be brilliant for this particular Undertaker feud. It's been made abundantly clear, especially at WM27, that Taker is slowing down and his body is breaking down. I'd have Jericho's cerebral character state that he sees through the smoke and mirrors of the Deadman, and through that smoke he sees a beaten down old man. Now we've had the "I'm not afraid of the Undertaker" schtick plenty of times before, the difference been the heel always flips out as soon as the lights go out or smoke fills the arena. I'd do a bit where Taker attempts that, but Jericho, instead of getting scared, beats seven shades of shit out of Taker. The following week, maybe the go home show for Mania, I'd have Taker show up in normal clothes, out of character, and express doubt in himself. Jericho would interrupt, taunting him, and in response Taker attempts to turn the lights off, but they only flicker, and a massive pull apart brawl commences, with Jericho gaining the advantage. Taker attempts to sit up following the beating, fails, and pulls himself up on the ropes, looking defeated. Roll into Wrestlemania, Taker looks vulnerable, Jericho looks strong.

We should have an award on these forums for shit fantasy booking. Why would you build up The Undertaker over all this time only to have Jericho demolish him and get the rub? Jericho's not someone the WWE should be relying on at all. Aside from the fact that I don't ever see them having the Undertaker come out as just a normal guy again, and I'd hate it if he did at this stage of his career, if they were ever going to run this angle there's no point blowing it on Chris Jericho. He's not that big a name, he's never going to be that big a name and he never was going to be that big a name.

The problem with booking The Undertaker is Cena's already taken. I'd be begging 'Taker to do one more WrestleMania after this one. It'd be a shame if his body wouldn't allow them to have him face Cena. That's a blow off I'd like to see. I wouldn't even bother having Cena turn heel. Cena's pretty much transcended the heel/face barrier anyway, he's just Cena. And for me, personally, the more the fans boo him and the more he carries on being Cena the stronger the character is. He's the guy who carries on living by the code he's created for himself even if half the crowd he works for hates him. His character is superb. No wonder the kids love the fucker. The booking is simple, Taker's the man, Cena's the man, they face off to decide who's the manliest man. Cena's strong enough to take the loss too, let 'Taker retire with his steak intact and Cena cut a serious promo afterwards. Done. The imageo f Cena walking into WrestleMania, the Undertaker's yard, with the fans 100% behind 'Taker and Cena having that same determined look he had on his face against RVD all those years ago would be awesome.

So that means whoever they give The Undertaker should be someone who can afford the loss. I'd probably give him an easy year, let him steamroll through some young punk who's decided he's better than HHH, Shawn Michaels, Kane and everyone else and that he can beat the Undertaker, the kid bumps around like a rag doll. Then after 'Mania let the punk get his heat back by having HHH and Kane laugh at him and him beat them. Done.

I can't. At all. I don't think a Triple Threat match with the streak on the line would work at all. Feels clunky.

I reckon Rock/Cena will sell WrestleMania next year anyway, as in that match alone will draw a massive buy rate, so whilst the other matches are important, obviously, the main event is arguably the biggest main event they've had since probably Rock/Hogan.

This. That's why I said feed Undertaker some young punk who hasn't got much of a name yet. The card's drawing no matter what else they put on it. It also seems a waste to use Austin on it. Although if he is willing then I guess it might be their last chance to get another match out of him. But I'd be very reluctant to have Orton vs. Austin and Cena vs. Rock on the same card. I don't like that at all actually. Makes the current roster look weak.

• Paid Members

Concerning next year's Wrestlemania, and the risks they've ran booking that Cena vs. Rock match a year out, I thought this was interesting in this week's Observer:

Cena is said to be beaten up far worse than is being let on, with persistent neck and hip issues as well as elbow problems.

Given their luck with things like this, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Cena gets injured between now and then and isn't able to do the match. It was one of the main things that struck me when they were beating the shit out of him during that I Quit match at Over The Limit. They're at risk of him getting injured as it is, without booking him to take a ridiculous amount of punishment like he did during that bout.

• Paid Members

That's a great point really. It is a one match card, unless they fuck up the 'dream match' they really don't need to throw away a lot on the show. It is The chuffing Rock returning to the ring after all.

When you look at it that way, 'Taker v Triple H makes sense.

Concerning next year's Wrestlemania, and the risks they've ran booking that Cena vs. Rock match a year out, I thought this was interesting in this week's Observer:

Cena is said to be beaten up far worse than is being let on, with persistent neck and hip issues as well as elbow problems.

Given their luck with things like this, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Cena gets injured between now and then and isn't able to do the match. It was one of the main things that struck me when they were beating the shit out of him during that I Quit match at Over The Limit. They're at risk of him getting injured as it is, without booking him to take a ridiculous amount of punishment like he did during that bout.

If that is the case I think it'd be wise to have Cena drop the title at SummerSlam, run an injury angle the next night on RAW, and just give him some time off. IF Triple H is going to be back for SummerSlam they can always have him stay active on RAW for a couple of months if they still want a big name for ratings etc, it might hurt RAW a bit from say August to November or something, but rather that than lose out on the match wiht The Rock next year, pretty much the biggest match in wrestling for about 10 years.

Jericho usually gets dropped off the likes of Rey Mysterio, Kofi Kingstone and goes down for 80 counts of fat ex-boxers and ancient actors. He's so up and down the card and appears on every show that he's never been credible enough to do mega things as a headliner. Its not a Mania match for me. Its already a stretch to even think that Undertaker might have a chance to lose when he's in gripping feuds with protected megastars like Batista, Edge, Shawn Michaels and Triple H. I think I would be so sure of Jericho losing that night that I'd actually put my bellend on a chopping board until I was proved right. For me, its another match with Triple H, a John Cena match and someone massive like Rock or Austin, and then thats all there is as far as being anyone who can do a combination of drawing a buyrate, having a chance of ending his streak and giving him the big match atmosphere.

See, I think we're at the point of no return with the Streak, no one will end it, it's just iron clad. So why not give the match to someone fresh, who can create an engaging buildup with promos etc., and is talented enough to have a classic match with Undertaker? Undertaker at Wrestlemania is the draw I believe, plus we have Cena vs Rock as a guaranteed buyrate getter. WM22 did pretty well with Undertaker vs Mark Henry didn't it?

We should have an award on these forums for shit fantasy booking. Why would you build up The Undertaker over all this time only to have Jericho demolish him and get the rub? Jericho's not someone the WWE should be relying on at all. Aside from the fact that I don't ever see them having the Undertaker come out as just a normal guy again, and I'd hate it if he did at this stage of his career, if they were ever going to run this angle there's no point blowing it on Chris Jericho. He's not that big a name, he's never going to be that big a name and he never was going to be that big a name.

It wouldn't be for the sake of giving Jericho the rub at all, simply to make him look like a threat for this one match. What would be the point in making Jericho, or "some young punk", look like a chump and someone Taker could easily destroy? They've humanised Taker already by having him leave on a stretcher exhausted, the last remnants of his 'superhuman' abilities used to win against HHH. I would have Taker win at Mania of course, but it shouldn't look like a cakewalk. Cena is the only real huge name Taker hasn't beaten at Mania yet, anything else would be a re-hash, and in Triple H's case, a re-hash of a re-hash of a re-hash.

Archived