(Very) Early WrestleMania 28 plans

Doog

• Paid Members
See, I think we're at the point of no return with the Streak, no one will end it, it's just iron clad.

My Dad thought Triple H and Shawn Michaels were going to end it. I even bought it when he tombstoned Taker. Just because a few Observer readers and people who go on wrestling forums believe it wont end, doesnt mean someone like my Dad whos a casual who will buy a PPV because they like Undertaker when he wore his washing up gloves back in the day believes it. I bet those little kids in the front row with the WWE merch on arent saying "fuck this, Undertakers got this one in the bag". You dont have a big match atmosphere like that if people think its a forgone conclusion. I think it wont be ended because I'm cynical after years and years of watching it. Not everyone feels that way.

So why not give the match to someone fresh, who can create an engaging buildup with promos etc., and is talented enough to have a classic match with Undertaker?

Like who? Undertakers a special attraction wrestler, who is now finished as a full-time wrestler. Jericho in his little suit with his Fozzy tattoo on his hand would be shit for me. Batista, Edge, Shawn Michaels and Triple H were world class in the way they performed and the way they handled their own star power the last few years. Jericho's got big shoes to fill there. I think he'd be way out of his depth.

Undertaker at Wrestlemania is the draw I believe, plus we have Cena vs Rock as a guaranteed buyrate getter. WM22 did pretty well with Undertaker vs Mark Henry didn't it?

Whats that got to do with anything? Undertaker wasnt just coming off the back of career-defying stellar performances like he is now. Undertakers streak of 2006 is way different to what it is now. He's not got long left. And I dont want to see him wrestle someone who usually plays the fall guy for the likes of Bob Barker and Sharon Osbourne.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So why not give the match to someone fresh, who can create an engaging buildup with promos etc., and is talented enough to have a classic match with Undertaker?

Like who? Undertakers a special attraction wrestler, who is now finished as a full-time wrestler. Jericho in his little suit with his Fozzy tattoo on his hand would be shit for me. Batista, Edge, Shawn Michaels and Triple H were world class in the way they performed and the way they handed their own star power the last few years. Jericho's got big shoes to fill there. I think he'd be way out of his depth.

To me, Jericho's the best option. Anyone obviously has massive shoes to fill following this string of classics, and I'm not saying Jericho definitely could, but he's got more chance than anyone else on the roster. He's the only veteran big name who could put it all together on such an occasion. We're a far cry from the Y2J who bombed at WMX8. I said in the beginning that Alberto Del Rio would also be a good option also, but there's not many alternatives for a big Taker Mania match.

Undertaker at Wrestlemania is the draw I believe, plus we have Cena vs Rock as a guaranteed buyrate getter. WM22 did pretty well with Undertaker vs Mark Henry didn't it?

Whats that got to do with anything? Undertaker wasnt just coming off the back of career-defying stellar performances like he is now. Undertakers streak of 2006 is way different to what it is now. He's not got long left. And I dont want to see him wrestle someone who usually plays the fall guy for the likes of Bob Barker and Sharon Osbourne.

I was just saying that I don't think Taker's opponent matters a great deal for the Wrestlemania buyrate. The Wrestlemania name sells, Taker's Streak sells, and Cena vs Rock sells big time. If it wasn't for Cena vs Rock, you would need a big drawing name as Taker's opponent, which- duh, would be Cena. But I think I just rate Jericho higher than you do. I think he could have a stellar performance with Taker, he's consistently delivered at a high level since the HBK feud in 2008.

They should just go with an Attitude vs PG Era Mania -

The Rock vs John Cena

Undertaker vs Alberto Del Rio

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs Randy Orton

Triple H vs CM Punk

Chris Jericho vs The Miz

and the fill the rest of the card with multi-man matches and there you have it............the most interesting Mania in 10 years

• Paid Members
He's the only veteran big name who could put it all together on such an occasion.

No he isnt. Triple H is perfect for it, because he's already set the match up anyway, and since he's a massive star people might believe he wouldnt be getting dropped two PPV's on the trot by the same man. To say he's the only big name is daft. Especially considering he's not even in the promotion. He's as much a part of WWE at the minute than Mick Foley is.

The Wrestlemania name sells

The WrestleMania name sells, but they want far more than that. The WrestleMania name takes it to a certain point, but the add ons like the Rock and Austin and celebrity names increase the buyrate. They wouldnt need to dig the likes of Undertaker and Rock up if Mania sold on its own.

Taker's Streak sells

The Streak sells with the right opponent. If the Streak sold on its own you could have anyone against him. You wouldnt have the likes of Michaels, Triple H and Batista trying to end it.

Cena vs Rock sells big time. If it wasn't for Cena vs Rock, you would need a big drawing name as Taker's opponent, which- duh, would be Cena.

Well why are you banging on about Jericho being the only name fit enough to wrestle him then? Surely if Undertaker's match isnt the main draw, a rematch between Triple H and Undertaker would be the perfect time to do it? Anyway, Undertaker's streak wasnt the main draw this year either. It never is the main draw, but its a annual thing that they dedicate a massive amount of TV time to.

But I think I just rate Jericho higher than you do. I think he could have a stellar performance with Taker, he's consistently delivered at a high level since the HBK feud in 2008.

Usually staring at the lights or as a midcard or tag team attraction. Jericho's a good wrestler, but come on! He's the resident gag-a-thon they use for celebrities to laugh at or small wrestlers to have class matches with. He isn't a WrestleMania opponent for the Undertaker.

• Paid Members

I've never been a fan of Jericho. Running a second Taker/Trips match though would be stupid. There wasn't enough fanfare the first time.

They just need someone to have a decent match with Taker and lie down. Then you've got a 20-0 streak to put up against Cena the year after. Jericho would do a job. I'd go with Punk though.

• Paid Members

I can't quite believe the amount of people who don't understand how the Undertaker - Wrestlemania deal works, what the story and motivations are. When it was being discussed as Sting, it was said then as it is in this thread with Triple H, why not just have it at Summerslam instead? BECAUSE IT HAS TO BE WRESTLEMANIA YOU FUCKING IDIOTS. That's the entire point!

Also, many are saying they have no interest in a Triple H - Undertaker 'Mania rematch. Well, most didn't have any interest in HBK - Undertaker 2 at Wrestlemania either but, WWE managed to get almost all of us very excited about it through some simple, logical booking and some cracking performances from the men themselves and through the WWE Hype Machine. I'm one of those that had no interest when it was first rumored but i went on to totally fall in love with it. With the tremendous story told between Triple H and 'Taker this year and the compelling aftermath, adding a new dimension to 'Taker and his streak...there's absolutely no reason why they can't do it again.

This belief that so many seem to have that if a match features the same two guys again it won't be interesting is so ignorant, it's happened time and time again, HBK - Undertaker just being one example. Saying that Triple H - Undertaker would be a rehash of a rehash of a rehash. No it wouldn't. The story is different now, there's different factors. The story was different with Triple H and with Michaels anyway. And anyone thinking it's the same match for a third time because they met at X7 is a fucking moron. Again, the story is very different now. The streak was only began to be mentioned during and after that match.

Further to this point, saying there's no big names for Undertaker to face at Wrestlemania now besides Cena. Well...there's always a chance a bona-fide megastar may breakout but, there is options. For example Orton could most certainly have the Wrestlemania match again because, again he is a very different wrestler/character/person now and the scenario would be very, very different. I 100% believe that could be made into a compelling prospect for an Undertaker 'Mania match. Now that Undertakers shown some vulnerability, he could make a grand return again prior to Wrestlemania, maybe around Rumble time to announce his intentions of entering and winning it one more time or something, only for Orton (turning or having turned heel and wanting to win the Rumble himself) to jump him and PUNT Undertakers face off, taking him out. Undertakers shows his weakness again and to the move that puts everybody out and then doesn't return in person again until Wrestlemania itself.

• Paid Members

I'm shocked that people don't want 'Taker/Triple H to have another match at 'Mania. The previous two were fucking amazing and like the dude above me says, with the right build it will be even better.

Ideally, Undertaker would be in there with an Alberto Del Rio. But we know only a handful can work a match worthy of the mighty streak.

He's the only veteran big name who could put it all together on such an occasion.

No he isnt. Triple H is perfect for it, because he's already set the match up anyway, and since he's a massive star people might believe he wouldnt be getting dropped two PPV's on the trot by the same man. To say he's the only big name is daft. Especially considering he's not even in the promotion. He's as much a part of WWE at the minute than Mick Foley is.

Cena vs Rock sells big time. If it wasn't for Cena vs Rock, you would need a big drawing name as Taker's opponent, which- duh, would be Cena.

Well why are you banging on about Jericho being the only name fit enough to wrestle him then? Surely if Undertaker's match isnt the main draw, a rematch between Triple H and Undertaker would be the perfect time to do it? Anyway, Undertaker's streak wasnt the main draw this year either. It never is the main draw, but its a annual thing that they dedicate a massive amount of TV time to.

But I think I just rate Jericho higher than you do. I think he could have a stellar performance with Taker, he's consistently delivered at a high level since the HBK feud in 2008.

Usually staring at the lights or as a midcard or tag team attraction. Jericho's a good wrestler, but come on! He's the resident gag-a-thon they use for celebrities to laugh at or small wrestlers to have class matches with. He isn't a WrestleMania opponent for the Undertaker.

You're forgetting what I was initially saying about having a fresh opponent. The two have never had a sustained feud. And for how much you're against Jericho facing Taker, that's how much I'm against a 3rd Triple H vs Undertaker Wrestlemania match. I know they set it up with the post Mania Raw and all that, but I've seen enough of HHH vs Taker to last a lifetime. And considering the whole narrative of that last match, with HHH throwing everything in the world at Taker and still unable to win, how would anything change with another match? Trips would have to shoot Taker with a bazooka or something to make me think he could win. The lasting impression from WM27 was that Taker can be hospitalised, but he can't be beaten.

I think you're overstating Jericho's use in comedy and the midcard way too much. Yeah he did those things, but he was also frequently involved in main event stuff. His last Wrestlemania appearance, he successfully defended the world title against Edge. He was taken out of WWE by current world champion Randy Orton. He also helped elevate guys like CM Punk and John Morrison, guys in the upper midcard who subsequently rose to the lower tier of the main event at least. I don't think involvement with those guys hurts Jericho, WWE can make anyone look like a threat if they choose. Who would have thought, back in 2006, that the Miz would be rubbing shoulders in a Wrestlemania main event with John Cena and the Rock?

• Paid Members
Running a second Taker/Trips match though would be stupid. There wasn't enough fanfare the first time.

In what sense? The buildup or the actual match?

I really liked the match. The build up didn't exactly captivate though. It was good but it wasn't like people were absolutely desperate to see it. I don't think the general audience needs to see a second WM match. I'd use the match at SummerSlam and give 'Taker a fresher opponent for the next WM. Someone who can talk the crowd into believing he has a chance. If Punk is still with Nexus, there is even more history there.

• Paid Members
You're forgetting what I was initially saying about having a fresh opponent. The two have never had a sustained feud.

Who cares about fresh opponents though? Fresh opponents doesn't mean much. Michaels wasnt a fresh opponent. Rock and Austin had been done to death until they did record business. Star power draws. Its the reason why a shit man event with big stars will out draw your Michaels vs Hart matches all the time. Its only half time in this feud anyway. There's a big opening for it to end. And let's be honest: its going to happen. I cant see there being a chance we wont see this for the second year running.

Yeah he did those things, but he was also frequently involved in main event stuff. His last Wrestlemania appearance, he successfully defended the world title against Edge. He was taken out of WWE by current world champion Randy Orton. He also helped elevate guys like CM Punk and John Morrison, guys in the upper midcard who subsequently rose to the lower tier of the main event at least. I don't think involvement with those guys hurts Jericho, WWE can make anyone look like a threat if they choose. Who would have thought, back in 2006, that the Miz would be rubbing shoulders in a Wrestlemania main event with John Cena and the Rock?

Perception is reality as they say. None of that will mean fuck all when someones picking the phone up to order the PPV.

I just find Triple H boring to watch, always have and always will, add that with the fact that Taker was never my favourite it just makes it so un-appealing to me. I have however loved Takers work at the last three mania, I just didnt enjoy the match this year.

Archived