(Very) Early WrestleMania 28 plans

Doog

They really need to build some proper young main eventers and put them around the two belts, but everyone is so fucking vanilla.

I know you like to talk a phenomenal amount of crap (see what I did there?) but vanilla? Do you actually watch the shows? There's a hell of a lot of colourful characters in the WWE right now. Look for a problem all you want, that's your choice, but if you think the WWE's problem is that everyone is vanilla then I don't know what the hell it is you're actually watching.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They really need to build some proper young main eventers and put them around the two belts, but everyone is so fucking vanilla.

I know you like to talk a phenomenal amount of crap (see what I did there?) but vanilla? Do you actually watch the shows? There's a hell of a lot of colourful characters in the WWE right now. Look for a problem all you want, that's your choice, but if you think the WWE's problem is that everyone is vanilla then I don't know what the hell it is you're actually watching.

I'm talking about the likes of Jack Swagger and Dolph Ziggler mainly, who are supposed to be the future of the company, to take over from the usual gang of Cena, Orton, Undertaker, Triple H etc. They give both of them meaningless World title runs, they have zero personality and are both back to being meaningless mid carders becuase they have no real characters and are booked to be plain and boring. The only people I see with personality I see is R Truth (who is 40, and isn't going to be the next main guy), and The Miz. Alberto Del Rio has gotten boring for me at the minute. Sin Cara in the only other exception of being young and colourful, but he can't work the WWE style yet, and can't speak a word of English.

• Paid Members
Interesting thing in there also is Undertaker vs. Triple H rematch planned for SummerSlam this year, i'd imagine if this does happen it'll be the main event i.e. last match, sort of match should definently close a show that isnt WrestleMania.

To be blunt, it should close a show that is WrestleMania, and should have this year.

Card looks bollocks. No-one would buy Jericho as a threat to the streak, e-e-e-EEEEEVER. The only name in the frame for him at Mania right now should be Trips or Cena, and we already know what John Boy is doing at Mania XXVIII.

And personally as for Orton vs ADR, I don't think they'll keep Orton as baby for that long. Just a feeling. Unless Bertie turns. It's theoretically a big enough match for 'Mania if the two are kept apart for long enough that it's their first PPV meeting, which is possible if the draft stays final until Mania Season.

Rey Rey v Sin Cara I definitely buy, and again, pretty confident they will preserve it for Mania.

I'm talking about the likes of Jack Swagger and Dolph Ziggler mainly, who are supposed to be the future of the company, to take over from the usual gang of Cena, Orton, Undertaker, Triple H etc. They give both of them meaningless World title runs, they have zero personality and are both back to being meaningless mid carders becuase they have no real characters and are booked to be plain and boring. The only people I see with personality I see is R Truth (who is 40, and isn't going to be the next main guy), and The Miz. Alberto Del Rio has gotten boring for me at the minute. Sin Cara in the only other exception of being young and colourful, but he can't work the WWE style yet, and can't speak a word of English.

I don't know where to begin arguing this. First of all everyone in the WWE is vanilla, then you can only name two who are vanilla (I'd debate Swgger) then you can only name R-Truth and the Miz as interesting characters? Really? Santino's not vanilla. Orton isn't vanilla. Cena's not vanilla. Alberto might be boring to you but he's not vanilla. Punk isn't, Rey isn't, Kofi isn't, Sheamus isn't, Christian isn't (and I'm not even a fan of him), etc. There was a time when the lo the WWE and their vanilla wrestlers was a legit knock but at the moment? Nah.

I don't know where to begin arguing this. First of all everyone in the WWE is vanilla, then you can only name two who are vanilla (I'd debate Swgger) then you can only name R-Truth and the Miz as interesting characters? Really? Santino's not vanilla. Orton isn't vanilla. Cena's not vanilla. Alberto might be boring to you but he's not vanilla. Punk isn't, Rey isn't, Kofi isn't, Sheamus isn't, Christian isn't (and I'm not even a fan of him), etc. There was a time when the lo the WWE and their vanilla wrestlers was a legit knock but at the moment? Nah.

Swagger and Ziggler aren't the only two I could name, they are just prime examples. First of all, Orton is very vanilla. He is boring as fuck. Swagger was OK until he won the title, when he started doing Jericho's last gimmick. Punk is leaving apparently, Rey Mysterio's body is knackered and they even have his replacement ready, and I'll give you Cena. Except his personality isn't likable and I don't like his shit jokes. Kofi Kingston wears the cool outfits, but they missed the opportunity with him after he lost all the momentum at the end of '09 when he was smashed by Orton. He doesn't even get any mic time or anything, and his personality isn't interesting either. Christian was the personification of personality up until he came back for his latest run, and he is too old to be anything now anyway. Then there is everyone else on the roster with generic rock music and just don't stand out at all like Drew McIntyre for one. I finally got interested in him during the last Elimination Chamber, but now where is he? Superstars if he's lucky. Then there is Zack Ryder, who tries to set himself away from the rest of the crowd, and what does he get? Squashed by the likes of Santino Marrela and Vladimir Kozlov. Sorry to be so negative.

I don't buy this idea that only HHH is worthy to challenge for the streak. What I think would be a good idea is to take someone like Sheamus or Del Rio (the two best candidates IMO) and put them on a Goldberg style streak untill WM and call out Taker for a Streak vs Streak match. Maybe "Leak" some stories that the plan is for Taker to get beat, and in the match have the Young Gun looking like they can win it.

Also Sin Cara vs Mysterio has no obvious heel, unless they did a Mysterio turn, maybe have him jealous that Cara has been brought in to replace him.

• Paid Members

No-one on the WWE roster can possibly go on a "Goldberg style" streak. WWE simply doesn't have the depth of roster that WcW had for it to work in terms of a sting of impressive first-time victories on TV to build towards a 'Mania match with Taker the way Goldberg was built toward Hogan, and looking at the roster they have, there aren't many fresh opponents for such a streak to mean anything for Sheamus.

In theory, you could build ADR towards Taker by having go over Orton and Cena cleanly on the way, neither of whom he has wrestled on PPV yet. But they won't do that, and we both know it.

Card looks bollocks. No-one would buy Jericho as a threat to the streak, e-e-e-EEEEEVER. The only name in the frame for him at Mania right now should be Trips or Cena, and we already know what John Boy is doing at Mania XXVIII.

Agreed. Return pop or not, Jericho's prevailing image in the WWE is that of an also-ran. In the big feuds, he's always come up decisively short, so it would be hard to suspend disbelief that he could realistically challenge for the biggest prize in the game. Not to mention he's fucking tiny compared to Taker, so that doesn't help either.

I also find it hard to believe Miz will be at a level where a match with Triple H seems like a good idea by Wrestlemania time. As charismatic as he is, there's still something missing in terms of his ability to have a great match and his ability to present a credible physical threat to one of the big lads. Even with that awesome entrance video, he looked out of his depth next to Cena in a main event role at this year's Mania, and I can't see him regaining enough momentum to stand toe to toe with HHH next year.

There is another way to make any of the wrestlers mentioned in this thread look like a threat to the streak. Have the Undertaker suffer some upset losses or win by the skin of his teeth against people he should crush. Build up Wrestlemania with the heel saying the Undertaker is old and washed up, then have the Undertaker win in style. Undertaker goes 20-0 and retires the next night on Raw as one of the greatest wrestlers that ever lived.

Of course the downside to this is the loser getting beaten by a washed up old man.

• Paid Members
There is another way to make any of the wrestlers mentioned in this thread look like a threat to the streak. Have the Undertaker suffer some upset losses or win by the skin of his teeth against people he should crush.

I like this - he certainly looked more human/vulnerable than ever getting carted off by medics after squeaking by Hunter. Maybe the focus should be less on someone getting up to the level of "streak-ender" and more on him not being what he used to be.

• Paid Members
Ziggler was fairly brilliant on the commentary on Raw this week, I thought.

SEND, TWEET! He was decent, so glad they're starting to push him again. His plummet through the roster just after his very decent title match at the rumble was a great shame. Definitely one of the stand out stars of the future.

Archived