How's this for plagiarism?

JNLister

• Paid Members

My article, circa 2003: http://houseofdeception.com/British_Wrestling_History.html

Some other dude's article from April 2011: http://www.wrestlingroundtable.com/Guest_Column1.html

It's a full-on 5000 word rip-off. For example.

Me:

Hackenschmidt soon departed for the United States and was replaced as the main attraction by Stanislaus Zbyszko in 1907, with the Pole playing a heel role. One particular promotional scam would see a boisterous Scotsman march into the matinee performance at a rival theatre in the town where a match was scheduled, demanding Zbyszko come out and fight him. The theatre's manager would invariably correct his 'mistake' and unwittingly promote the evening's wrestling show to his entire audience.

Him:

With immortality in Britain sealed, Hackenshmidt departed to the United States to make his name, leaving a huge Bear-shaped hole in the British wrestling scene. This was eventually filled by the Polish Giant, Stanislaus Zbysko. Zbysko was by all accounts a tough shooter who played the quintessential heel, and the crowd despised the ground he walked on. This, of course, made the promoters ecstatic as the dollar signs flashed before their eyes. One memorable piece of promotion occurred in Glasgow during a matinee exhibition being held by the Pole. An

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not really (and I use that term thinly) plagiarism.

The only thing you can say that backs your side up is he hasn't referenced his article (as to where he obtained the information).

But the same can be said about yours; no referencing.

Being at University you're trained to take information from a valid source and apply it in your own way. However due to the lack of referencing etc. all you can really do is throw accusations.

• Paid Members

The only thing you can say that backs your side up is he hasn't referenced his article (as to where he obtained the information).

Being at University you're trained to take information from a valid source and apply it in your own way. However due to the lack of referencing etc. all you can really do is throw accusations.

It's hardly a trick. As long as you cite it then it's completely acceptable and not plagiarism.

Have you actually looked at the two pieces? The wording is different, but the structure is identical - as in every single line makes the same point as the corresponding line in my piece. It's absolutely undeniable that his writing process consisted of nothing more than cutting and pasting my entire piece and then rewriting the wording.

I rewrite other sources all day long, both in news articles and "how-to/what does x mean?" guides as part of my work. However, that's not the same as what's done here: I have to come up with my own choice of which facts to include, and my own choice of how to structure the article.

The idea that this would be acceptable in a university if you simply acknowledged the (single) source is worrying. The idea that some people wouldn't consider this plagiarism is terrifying.

It's hardly a trick. As long as you cite it then it's completely acceptable and not plagiarism.

Have you actually looked at the two pieces? The wording is different, but the structure is identical - as in every single line makes the same point as the corresponding line in my piece. It's absolutely undeniable that his writing process consisted of nothing more than cutting and pasting my entire piece and then rewriting the wording.

Yeah I've read it and, as someone already pointed out, he hasn't referenced at all so I see your point. I was actually replying to TripleA's student trick comment.

• Paid Members

I rewrite other sources all day long, both in news articles and "how-to/what does x mean?" guides as part of my work. However, that's not the same as what's done here: I have to come up with my own choice of which facts to include, and my own choice of how to structure the article.

The idea that this would be acceptable in a university if you simply acknowledged the (single) source is worrying. The idea that some people wouldn't consider this plagiarism is terrifying.

Oh.

The only thing I can suggest is call the author on it. I'm not sure what you're after here.

• Paid Members

No offense, Lister, but this barely warrants a topic I don't think. If he copied it from you then I'd understand why you would be pissed but all you're going to get from this thread is a bunch of people going "yeah, that's your work all right, so what?" I fail to see how informing us of it helps you in any way. Take it up with the guy himself or the people on the site and, if that gets you nowhere, just let it slide and take the higher ground.

Archived