How's this for plagiarism?

JNLister

I'm not saying this to blow smoke up JL's backside, but his is clearly much better. The second guy is obviously saying exactly the same thing but taking twice as many words to say it. This is not the mark of a good writer in my opinion. The mark of a good writer to me is saying something as succinctly as possible whilst still being able to convey the salient points, especially in an informative piece such as this.

I'd just email him and politely request he either states that he has re-written your article, or ask him to remove it. All he can say is no....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The first thing I did when I saw the article was contact the site, which is looking into it. I assumed that was too obvious to mention here.

Which style of writing is a matter of opinion. Naturally I disagree with the opinion of ButchReedMark here, but that's his right to an opinion. Frankly, given the circumstances, the rewritten version really should be better as he won't have had to waste time on research or organisation. Aside from writing style, it's worth noting the rip off version has inadvertently changed a few facts in the process of trying to come up with new wording.

As for this thread, maybe off topic or even a journalism forum might have been more appropriate, but I thought it might be of interest to some people on this forum. And yeah, maybe I was looking for sympathy. So what? If you put an utter shitload of work into something and have it utterly ripped off without acknowledgement, perhaps you'd be looking for sympathy.

If you put an utter shitload of work into something and have it utterly ripped off without acknowledgement, perhaps you'd be looking for sympathy.

It has happened to me and no, I didn't.

EDIT - Sorry, I forgot to say I thought your article was excellent. Good luck with getting the recognition for it.

Why would someone go to these lengths, and re-word a long article, for (presumably) no money, and not much attention. I dont know how popular the website is, but surely there will only be a handful of people who actually read the entire thing. Seems like a waste of time to me.

I personally think that this is a case of minds that are really great, both thinking alike. ;)

All I can say John is that you now know how Dave Meltzer must feel every single week, when someone rips off his work in the Observer and posts stories on WrassleplaceNewz.com or whatever website of the week steals his work.

• Paid Members
I personally think that this is a case of minds that are really great, both thinking alike.

Wrestling Roundtable disagrees, they seem to have pulled it from the site.

I understand Lister's point and I would also be pissed off. The guy nicked a lot of rare and specific information that John must have hunted down himself.

But you wont get much sympathy on an internet forum. Lesson learned.

Who gives a fucking shit? Seriously. I have no clue what the original article was about anyway.

Thats when reading an articles Title comes in handy, you dolt.

I personally think that this is a case of minds that are really great, both thinking alike.

Wrestling Roundtable disagrees, they seem to have pulled it from the site.

Sorry, my reply was meant as a plagarism gag (admittedly a poor one), see replies above mine.

I understand Lister's point and I would also be pissed off. The guy nicked a lot of rare and specific information that John must have hunted down himself.

Exactly. For those that don't get it, if you spend your time writing an article or whatever, and it's that well-researched and detailed, you'd be pissed too if someone stole it virtually verbatim, making out it was their work and knowledge, and thus making themselves look good off the back of your work.

Archived