2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always check to see which games I'll miss because I'm on holiday. Turns out I'll miss home games against Rangers & Hearts this year.

Besides the usual comings & goings at Fir Park this close season, the way the club is actually structured is also changing, for the better in my opinion;

From boardroom to boot room, changes are afoot at Motherwell.

All of those alterations, at all levels of the club, could be profound

I think this is spot on. From Sporting Life:

Former Celtic captain Tom Boyd believes recruiting a top-class goalkeeper is the club's priority ahead of the new season.

Fraser Forster proved to be a hit at Parkhead last term but his loan spell looks unlikely to be repeated after Newcastle boss Alan Pardew criticised the standard of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.

Out of favour Manchester City goalkeeper Shay Given has been linked with a move to the Hoops and recently admitted he would not rule out a switch to Glasgow, but finances could prove to be a stumbling block for Neil Lennon.

Boyd said: "Shay has plenty of experience. He's not been getting a game at Manchester City and someone of that ilk would be fantastic, with the ability that he has.

"It depends on the financial situation and what his wages are. We will wait and see. A goalkeeper is probably the priority for Celtic, whether it be Fraser Forster again or somebody else. Someone of that stature would be a great asset to the club."

Boyd would also love to see Lennon add to the outfield players he already has at his disposal over the summer but does not believe a big-name signing is vital.

He said: "A marquee signing would be nice but it's whether they can add to the team. We've certainly had a few of them down the years and some of them have not worked out. When you look at Neil's record in the transfer market, it has been very, very good.

"Kris Commons, Beram Kayal, Emilio Izaguirre - these lads have all come in and made a massive impact. None of them would have been regarded as marquee signings so if we can find more of that and add that kind of quality to the team, then I don't think we will be too far away next year."

Celtic will be keen to wrest the SPL title from rivals Rangers, who will be aiming for a fourth consecutive championship next term. But Boyd believes it is impossible to say which half of the Old Firm are favourites for honours in the new campaign.

He said: "It's a toss of a coin. Rangers, at this moment in time, still have all the players who won the league championship last season. So nothing has changed. They finished the season on a high. Time will tell."

What's Boydy up to these days?

Not gonna hide it, I'm totally pissed that the SFL couldn't give us the 28/4 as a home game to celebrate 50 years to the day of winning the league, but their ignorance never fails to surprise, does it? Shower of useless cunts.

He hosts the function suites at Parkhead during Champions league games as the main speaker. I used to work behind the bar at the very end function suite which usually had the famous fans and those that pay the top price. Other than that I don't know.

• Paid Members

Villarreal to be the opponents for Aberdeen in Darren Mackie's Testimonial.

Darren Mackie Testimonial Match

The Darren Mackie Testimonial Committee are delighted to announce that Villarreal CF will provide the opposition for Darren's Testimonial Match on Tuesday 19th July 2011 with a 7.45pm kick-off.

Villarreal finished fourth in the 2010/11 Spanish Premier League and were semi-finalists in the UEFA Europa League in the same season, only to be eliminated by the eventual winners of the competition, Porto FC. The squad boasts a vast array of talent - Spanish World Cup and European Championship winners Capdevila and Carlos Marchena, Spanish European Championship winners Santi Cazorla and Marcos Sena, Brazilian International Nilmar and Italian International and former Manchester United striker Giuseppe Rossi.

Testimonial Committee Chairman Terry Cobban said, "A great deal of behind the scenes work has gone into securing this and we are absolutely delighted to have attracted such a high quality and exciting team for Darren's testimonial match. Darren Mackie has served Aberdeen long and faithfully for over ten years and deserves such a glamour game as this. I hope that the faithful and loyal Aberdeen FC fans and businesses alike can get behind and support this event to show the "Yellow Submarines" of the Spanish Premier League who the Dandy Dons really are."

Ticket details for this testimonial match will be announced on RedWeb shortly.

If you would like to discuss corporate hospitality opportunities please contact the AFC Commercial team on 01224 650434.

Other events including a gala dinner and golf day have been planned and will be announced in due course.

Please note Aberdeen FC's pre-season match against Forfar due to take place on Monday 18th July will now take place on Saturday 16th July due to the above game.

Aberdeen FC's pre-season fixture list:

Thursday 30th June v Brechin at Glebe Park, KO 7.45pm

Wednesday 6th July v Bochum at Ruhrpott Arena, KO 6.30pm (local time)

Saturday 9th July v Borussia Monchengladbach at Grenzlandstadion, KO 3.30pm (local time)

Tuesday 12th July v Deveronvale at Princess Royal Park, Banff, KO 7.45pm

Testimonial match for Mike McKenzie

Wednesday 13th July v Inverurie Locos at Harlaw Park, Inverurie, KO 7.45pm

Testimonial match for Tommy Wilson

Saturday 16th July v Forfar at Station Park, Forfar, KO 3.00pm

Tuesday 19th July v Villarreal at Pittodrie Stadium, KO 7.45pm

Testimonial match for Darren Mackie

*Please note the domestic fixtures could be subject to change

For fuck me. He's shit! Why does he get such good opposition? Ando only got Everton ffs!

He hosts the function suites at Parkhead during Champions league games as the main speaker. I used to work behind the bar at the very end function suite which usually had the famous fans and those that pay the top price. Other than that I don't know.

I met him when i was working in Florida a couple of years after he retired and he said he was keeping busy between golf, his family and getting paraded round the big fan conventions in Vegas, Dubai and Australia. Not a bad life and you'd assume he saved his money well - nice bloke too.

Archived