2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

I figured that since any Scottish transfer talk gets swallowed up in the regular transfer thread that we could have a discussion thread for Scottish transfers, along with other pre-season chit chat and pre-season friendlies as well.

We'll change it over to the actual 2011/12 thread closer to the middle of July.

At the moment the SPL clubs have the following pre-season action confirmed;

Celtic

Saturday July 2 - Central Coast Mariners (A)

Saturday July 9 - Perth Glory (A)

Wednesday July 13 - Melbourne Victory (A)

Saturday July 30 - Inter Milan (Dublin Super Cup)

Sunday July 31 - Airtricity League XI (Dublin Super Cup)

Dunfermline

Saturday July 2 - Livingston (A)

Hibernian

Saturday July 2 - Berwick Rangers (A)

Tuesday July 5 - Livingston (A)

Saturday July 9 - East Fife (A)

Tuesday July 19 - Falkirk (A)

Inverness

Saturday July 9 - Livingston (A)

Motherwell

Saturday July 9 - Dumbarton (A)

Rangers

Saturday August 6 - Chelsea (H)

St Mirren

Tuesday July 12 - Dumbarton (A)

Saturday July 16 - Morton (H) Renfrewshire Cup final

I'm going to try and get along to some more pre-season friendlies this year I reckon, starting with Dumbarton away.

I also noticed that your lot have a cup final on July 16th Haraga!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

There is a rumour that us and either Hearts/Hibs will have pre-season friendlies against Ajax.

We also have the "glamour" Darren Mackie Testimonial to look forward to. (Opponents TBC). :rolleyes:

• Paid Members

From the Daily Record, Rangers have apparently made a move to sign David Vaughan on a Bosman:

DAVID VAUGHAN last night confirmed Rangers have made their move to lure him from Blackpool - as Record Sport exclusively revealed three weeks ago.

The 28-year-old midfielder, who is available on a Bosman, is top of Ally McCoist's list of targets as he strives to spend new owner Craig Whyte's cash wisely.

A Welsh internationalist who played against Scotland in the 3-1 Carling Nations Cup clash in Dublin on Wednesday night, Vaughan is also attracting interest from Sunderland, West Brom and Everton.

So McCoist has wasted no time in making his move to snap up the man he sees playing a key role in his engine room, just as we told you on May 3.

Vaughan said: "I know my agent has spoken to Rangers so I just have to take it from there and leave it in his hands.

"It would definitely interest me. Rangers are a massive club and play in the Champions League, so it's an attraction. I'll weigh up all my options."

Vaughan formed a successful partnership with former Gers star Charlie Adam during Blackpool's thrilling season in the English Premier League.

That campaign ultimately ended in last-day relegation heartache as the Seasiders went down fighting against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

But Vaughan's impressive year has earned the former Crewe and Real Sociedad man a lengthy list of admirers.

While he is high on McCoist's list of priorities, the Ibrox summer shake-up began on a low-key note yesterday with the capture of Norwegian twins Tom and Kim Skogsrud from Manchester City.

The 18-year-old defensive duo signed two-year deals after impressing on a trial back in March but are understood to be regarded as prospects for the future rather than ready-made first-team stars.

Morton have a glamour friendly with Walsall. Okay, I may be a little generous with my use of the word glamour.

The Renfrewshire Cup games are always fun when they're at Cappielow, but when they're at the new St. Mirren ground they are a complete waste of time as that place is always void of atmosphere. St. Mirren took a phenomenal support up here for it the last time it was at Cappielow. I'm gonna be going anyways, unless there's something better going on.

What's going on with this new owner you lot have Ally? You sure he's not a Celtic fan in disguise?

Brian Dempsey, the man who brought Fergus McCann to Celtic, reckons he'll sell up within three years. There is no way he'll provide the transfer funds people seem to think he is going to provide. Some Rangers fans I've spoke to think they're minted now.

http://rangerstaxcase.com/

Brian Dempsey, the man who brought Fergus McCann to Celtic, reckons he'll sell up within three years. There is no way he'll provide the transfer funds people seem to think he is going to provide. Some Rangers fans I've spoke to think they're minted now.

The thing you've forgotten to include in that statement is that he intends to make the club financially stable before selling on within those three years. For me, that's enough.

Anyway, suggestions are being made that the board being removed were equally or more corrupt than it's being alleged that Mr Whyte is and this is what has led to the sackings/suspensions. Rumours of dirty money, failure to keep up with tax by the financial department and Dave King's involvement in the procedures are flying all over.

Why? If people want to sign for us, they will sign. They shouldn't need persuading from a perma tanned wannabe.

Away you go, Ally. It's not that easy and you know it. Bain was worth his weight in gold to your club. That's a fact.

Why? If people want to sign for us, they will sign. They shouldn't need persuading from a perma tanned wannabe.

Away you go, Ally. It's not that easy and you know it. Bain was worth his weight in gold to your club. That's a fact.

Bain was at the centre of almost every long winded, will they, won't they, transfer saga we've had. Granted it may have been down to the clubs finances at the time but the likes of Chris Eagles, Sasa Papac and Kris Boyd have all commented publicily about Bain's promise one thing, do another attitude. Bain is respobsible for losing as many deals as winning them.

We signed players before Bain, why can't we sign players afterwards?

• Paid Members
We signed players before Bain, why can't we sign players afterwards?

I'm not saying you can't, but you can't deny that the guy was good at his job. He'll be missed, especially by McCoist.

If Neil Lennon could sell Celtic to Joe Ledley, I'm pretty sure McCoist - who has personality in spades - could sell Rangers to a potential transfer target.

Archived