2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

David - any news on potential Motherwell transfers?

I see Sutton went - I fear it could be quite a tough year next season.

what do you think to McCall? I have adopted you as my Scottish team since he took over.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see Derek Adams has returned as Ross County manager saying being their manager was too good an opportunity to turn down. Why the fuck did he leave in the first place then?

I'll be surprised if one of the top six teams in the SPL don't go for Riordan as he is out of contract.

what do you think to McCall? I have adopted you as my Scottish team since he took over.

Apparently we've signed Stephen Craigan on a new one year deal, and it's looking good that Jennings will be with us for another year.

Francis Jeffers is gone as far as I know. The only signing thus far is Nicky Devlin from Dumbarton on a re-contract. He's just a teenager, but is highly regarded.

Any reason why you chose Motherwell as your club?

Apparently we've signed Stephen Craigan on a new one year deal, and it's looking good that Jennings will be with us for another year.

Francis Jeffers is gone as far as I know. The only signing thus far is Nicky Devlin from Dumbarton on a re-contract. He's just a teenager, but is highly regarded.

Any reason why you chose Motherwell as your club?

Whose the winger that played in the Scottish Cup Final? Black, quite pacy. He's pretty good.

I've chosen Motherwell since Stuart took over - I'm a Bradford fan and he's a legend down here.

I heard rumours he wanted James Hanson and Omar Daley from us but hes denied it as Motherwell don't have any money. Omar is a free but he wont get a visa I don't think, he'll probably head to the usa.

Whose the winger that played in the Scottish Cup Final? Black, quite pacy. He's pretty good.

Chris Humphrey. Another player thats eligible to play for Scotland but that Levein won't choose because he doesn't play for Dundee United. Rumour has it that Jamaica are looking at calling him up for them instead.

I've chosen Motherwell since Stuart took over - I'm a Bradford fan and he's a legend down here.

I heard rumours he wanted James Hanson and Omar Daley from us but hes denied it as Motherwell don't have any money. Omar is a free but he wont get a visa I don't think, he'll probably head to the usa.

Nice one. I was hoping we'd get a pre-season game against Bradford but I've heard nothing about it yet.

• Paid Members

Chris Humphrey. Another player thats eligible to play for Scotland but that Levein won't choose because he doesn't play for Dundee United. Rumour has it that Jamaica are looking at calling him up for them instead.

I'm surprised you'd think something like this. Levein has given plenty of non-old firm/non Dundee Utd Scottish based players an international opportunity, such as Murray Davidson and Chris Maguire. Scotland are blessed with a pretty strong midfield right now, I assume Levein simply doesn't think Humphrey's good enough to break into it at this stage. Maybe one day he'll get his chance, but having seen the guy play I certainly don't think he's a shocking omission.

• Paid Members
I'm surprised you'd think something like this.

When I've seen the likes of Gary Kenneth chosen for Scotland ahead of the then Motherwell captain Mark Reynolds you really shouldn't be.

Kenneth's really improved as a player, and I can understand the logic in picking someone you know and feel you can get the best out of. That said, I liked Reynolds as a player (all though the Sheffield Wednesday management obviously don't feel similarly). I don't feel though that there's a huge gulf in ability between Reynolds and Kenneth, they're probably at a similar level.

Yeah I think Humphrey is a good player but Scotland have a really good midfield just now and I don't think he's good enough to get into it. Against Wales, the midfield was Naismith, Brown, Adam, Morrison and McCormack. We were still able to bring Bannan, Robson and McArthur off the bench. Commons, Thomson, McFadden, Maloney and McCulloch were all out of action. No way would Humphrey get into the Scotland side.

Yeah I think Humphrey is a good player but Scotland have a really good midfield just now and I don't think he's good enough to get into it.

He's 23 years old, and is attracting interest from some Premiership sides at the moment, with Liverpool scouts coming up to see him play recently. He's said he wants to play for Scotland, yet instead of Levein picking him for some friendlies and making sure we have him tied up to Scotland he gets blanked, which will most likely end up with him being picked by Jamaica and us all looking backing in years to come at the opportunity we had to ensure he would play for Scotland.

• Paid Members
Yeah I think Humphrey is a good player but Scotland have a really good midfield just now and I don't think he's good enough to get into it.

He's 23 years old, and is attracting interest from some Premiership sides at the moment, with Liverpool scouts coming up to see him play recently. He's said he wants to play for Scotland, yet instead of Levein picking him for some friendlies and making sure we have him tied up to Scotland he gets blanked, which will most likely end up with him being picked by Jamaica and us all looking backing in years to come at the opportunity we had to ensure he would play for Scotland.

According to a Daily Mail story. I'd be surprised if the move happens. But if Humphreys is good enough his time playing for Scotland absolutely will come. No one is holding a gun to his head and forcing him to choose Jamaica. Levein's made a point of being very thorough about eligibility checks to his credit, and if he hasn't picked Hunphreys it'll be because he feels the squad he has is his strongest, or because he feels Humphreys isn't good enough or ready yet. Time will tell if he's right on that count, but to be completely honest I don't think Humphreys is as good as is being made out here.

But if Humphreys is good enough his time playing for Scotland absolutely will come. No one is holding a gun to his head and forcing him to choose Jamaica.

Why would he turn down the chance to play international football in the hope that Scotland decide to cap him one day? We'll end up losing him, which is a real shame.

Time will tell if he's right on that count, but to be completely honest I don't think Humphreys is as good as is being made out here.

I've watched him all season, and it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up playing in the Premiership. He's fast, athletic and can cross a ball.

• Paid Members
But if Humphreys is good enough his time playing for Scotland absolutely will come. No one is holding a gun to his head and forcing him to choose Jamaica.

Why would he turn down the chance to play international football in the hope that Scotland decide to cap him one day? We'll end up losing him, which is a real shame.

Time will tell if he's right on that count, but to be completely honest I don't think Humphreys is as good as is being made out here.

I've watched him all season, and it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up playing in the Premiership. He's fast, athletic and can cross a ball.

He reminds me very much of Ross Wallace - a decent Championship player at best. Perhaps he'll develop, but I'm not convinced.

As for your first comment, you say his first choice is Scotland for international play. If he's good enough he'll get his chance and of he cares enough he can wait. If he keeps playing at his current level he'd definitely get another chance with Jamaica, and if he steps it up a notch Levein'll call him up.

That may be so, but I just don't have any faith in Levein. I never liked his appointment from the get-go, and his infamous tactics against the Czech Republic simply confirmed that he's not the man to take Scotland forward.

It's a catch 22 for me, because I always support my national side, but every time we win enough games to keep Levein in a job I know we're stuck with the guy.

Archived