12 years ago today - Owen Hart

dopper

Pretty much every year there is a topic about the anniversary of WWF Over The Edge 1999, this year I thought I'd ask the good people of the UKFF how, when, and where they first heard about the tragedy?

From SummerSlam 1998 I had a year of staying up to watch each WWF ppv live so I saw it on TV as it happened. As we didn't have a PC and neither me or any of my friends had mobile phones the first people I could talk to about it were the people at work who had absolutely no interest in wrestling.

We used to have Radio 1 on in the office through the day, and it was one of the top stories that Monday morning.

Then the following night my video wouldn't work so I didn't get to see the full Tribute show, only highlights of it on the following weekend's 'Livewire'.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

On GMTV in the morning, as I had Over the Edge taped to watch after school. There was some god awful jokes in school doing the rounds that day.

"What hasn't got a heart/Hart? THE WWF!"

I used to tape the shows and watch them before school. My heart sank when the camera stayed on JR and King and we got told what had happened. I was crushed as I'd grew up on Owen since I began watching wrestling and obviously had a really crappy day at school. It still bugs me just how shitty it is because he was clearly one of the greatest people you could ever meet. I watched 'The Life and Death of Owen Hart' once a while ago and don't think I'll ever watch that again.

I never stayed up to watch PPV's at that point, so I went to school that Monday morning, none-the-wiser. A friend sauntered up to me, smug as can be, and took immense delight in telling me that my favourite wrestler was dead. Owen Hart was an absolute hero to me growing up. I cannot underestimate how much he meant to me. My 'friend' knew this, and I can still remember the smile on his face as he told me how Owen died. The only reason I didn't fight him is that I didn't believe him. I didn't find out the truth until RAW came on Friday night.

No death, in wrestling or real life, has hit me harder. Few ever will.

• Paid Members

Was only about 9 at the time, but i'm pretty sure it was covered on GMTV that morning when I got up for school, was just around the time I started discovering wrestling really.

No death, in wrestling or real life, has hit me harder. Few ever will.

I agree it was the shittiest death certainly in pro wrestling. I struggle to find any sympathy for the deaths of your Curt Hennigs or Rick Rudes (as much as I loved them), but I

Came in pissed that night from my mates house and stuck the wrestling on, I fell asleep and woke up with about 10 minutes to go and Taker beat Austin and the commentators did'nt say anything about it (I think). I woke up the next day and it was on the news, did'nt really sink in until I watched the Raw highlights the following week and seen everybody was all in tears, that's probably the first time I ever cried watching wrestling.

Went into school totally buzzing after we had won the Welsh Cup the previous day. Fuck yeah, buzzing. All the lads were under the steps of the art block, as that's where our group used to gather before going in for registration. Soon as I got there, I started talking about the game and how awesome it was. Then someone cut me off and told me. I was gutted. We had a German exchange guy there and I can still hear his voice, "Oh my gosh, Owen Hart ist dead?!"

Horrible way to go.

Archived