12 years ago today - Owen Hart

dopper

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't exactly recall how I found out about it but it must have been at school (I was 12) or on the news. My brother and I recorded just about all the 1998 PPV's on the VCR but after that the thing started to go on the blink and kept buggering up when we tried to record the 1999 PPV's. I'm not ashamed to say that I was crying at some point while watching Raw is Owen during the week after.

To this day, I have never watched Over The Edge 1999.

• Paid Members

I remember when I found out. I was on my way to Pulse, a shitty nightclub in Stevenage on a Monday night (teenybopper night, of course). We were on the train and my old school friends, who weren't the wisest or most compassionate, were discussing it:

"Owen Hart died last night"

"Did he? How?"

"Fell from rafters and landed head first in the ring"

"Heh, gutted"

"Hehe"

Even though I hadn't watched wrestling in over 2 years, I felt absolutely gutted when I found that out. That was pretty much what got me back into wrestling, I tuned into Raw that week to see the tribute show- and after a few months of drifting in & out, I was back in for good after Summer 1999.

Pretty much every year there is a topic about the anniversary of WWF Over The Edge 1999, this year I thought I'd ask the good people of the UKFF how, when, and where they first heard about the tragedy?

From SummerSlam 1998 I had a year of staying up to watch each WWF ppv live so I saw it on TV as it happened. As we didn't have a PC and neither me or any of my friends had mobile phones the first people I could talk to about it were the people at work who had absolutely no interest in wrestling.

We used to have Radio 1 on in the office through the day, and it was one of the top stories that Monday morning.

Then the following night my video wouldn't work so I didn't get to see the full Tribute show, only highlights of it on the following weekend's 'Livewire'.

Was on the radio in the morning whilst getting a lift into school. I was shocked and couldnt stop thinking about it all day long.

Owen was very under rated. Quality technical wrestler

i remember it well, was in year nine at the time and never really took notice of the news on the local radio so wasnt aware till i met my mates at the bus stop and one of them (who had taped it overnight and flicked through before school) told me. almost didnt want to believe it but the looks on their faces told me it was true. it was only when the story made the local paper that it sunk in. absolutely gutwrenching. theres only really this, eddie's and now savage's deaths that have truely upset me. can't believe its been that long though

• Paid Members

Interesting to hear that it had been reported on the BBC and GMTV news the next morning - never knew that.

I recorded the event live overnight, but I was in the middle of my A-Levels and went to an exam in the morning. I then got home late morning and sat down to start watching the event about lunchtime-ish, still not knowing anything had happened.

I remember realising there had been something going wrong when they started playing the video packages for matches upcoming later in the night one after the other there and then, then there was that interview with Jarrett which seemed all over the place. I guessed a technical fault, or they were fixing the ring, or something like that. Like so many others, Jim Ross' super-serious piece to the camera from ringside will stick in my memory forever. I was stunned and just sat their in silence, trying to work it all out.

I think I kept the last 5 minutes of the main event from that show (Austin vs. Undertaker, with Vince as the referee) for a good while after, due to the title change (I used to try and keep the title changes, back when titles meant something), but the full show would have been recorded over by that week's Raw or Coronation Street or whatever after I kept the bits I wanted. I remember the show being a very, very strange atmosphere after the accident.

• Paid Members

That's a nice gravesite...as odd as that sentence is.

I found out from GMTV too. I had it taped to watch after school and I was sitting there half asleep when it came on GMTV, it soon woke me up. Couldn't believe it.

12 years: It's hard to believe.

We didn't have Sky at the time, so I was told about it at school. Despite wrestling not being that popular, Owen's death was huge.

Having read Martha Hart and Bret Hart's books, it makes it seem even sadder.

• Paid Members
Was my 19th Birthday. Went out with my mates and forgot to tape the wrestling. Went round the next day to see if my mate had set his video and he told me all about it.

It seems you're a day older than me. I was woken up by the news on my 19th birthday, as my mum had seen it on TV. Not fun. I didn't see Over the Edge itself until years later, either...

My birthday is the 20th of May (macho died on mine :( ).

Was 15 at the time and found out when I went to school and got told BRET Hart had died (a mistake some people Ive met still make today), ofcourse when they said what happened I realised they wer'nt bullshitting and it was real I was shocked.

Still have it on tape Ive watched it once or twice its just a strange piece if history I want to keep.

I was at work. My dad phoned me and told me he heard it on the radio. He said something that I heard as "Owen Hart fell on a cable" and assumed that he died after some sort of move involving the ring ropes, I was thinking of all the possibilities like a sling shot type move or the type of thing that ripped Foleys ear off but none of it seamed to make any sense or bad enough to kill someone. I was only after a while I remembered the whole Blue Blazer repelling from the ceiling thing and figured out that my dad was saying he fell whilst being lowered on a cable.

I got home and watched the video tape and it was fucking awful.

Archived