12 years ago today - Owen Hart

dopper

Think my dad woke me up to tell me as it was on BBC breakfast news. Didn't have SKY at the time so was relying on my friend who was usually reliable in taping them and handing it over for me. In the end we just watched it directly after school at his house with a couple of other pals. Very surreal.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Pretty much every year there is a topic about the anniversary of WWF Over The Edge 1999, this year I thought I'd ask the good people of the UKFF how, when, and where they first heard about the tragedy?

From SummerSlam 1998 I had a year of staying up to watch each WWF ppv live so I saw it on TV as it happened. As we didn't have a PC and neither me or any of my friends had mobile phones the first people I could talk to about it were the people at work who had absolutely no interest in wrestling.

We used to have Radio 1 on in the office through the day, and it was one of the top stories that Monday morning.

Then the following night my video wouldn't work so I didn't get to see the full Tribute show, only highlights of it on the following weekend's 'Livewire'.

I had been out of wrestling for probably 2 years at that point, and for some reason I'd started to wonder about it, so I happened to flick over to Livewire or a similar type show and I saw the highlights of the Tribute show. I had so many great memories of Owen from when I was a fan originally and it just broke my heart; needless to say I vacated myself from wrestling again and only really tried again with WrestleMania 2000.

Owen Hart will always be a fondly remembered part of my childhood; that feud with Bret is seemingly hard-wired into me, and I think I always could see Owen's point of view in it too

• Paid Members

I found out about his death by having a quick fast forward of the tape on the morning before college to check if the event recorded all right. I was so shocked. My jaw nearly hit the floor. Just utterly shocking.

• Paid Members

If memory serves I would have watched that show live, but for the fact that I had a GCSE exam the next day. I think my Mum read about it on Teletext and told me when I woke up. Did the exam in the morning, the came back in the afternoon and watched Over the Edge. Utterly surreal day

Had come home from uni, as I always did, to watch it live with my dad. I remember we were chatting about something and then looked back at the screen and knew something was wrong, and then there was the interview with I think Jarrett and Debra both trying to hold it together and then JR and King announcing what had happened.

had a GCSE exam that day. English, I think.

Me too. It was myt first exam I believe, but that didn't stop me from trying to stay up til 4am to watch the show. If I recall correctly, I saw the aftermoments of the accident, but fell asleep before they officially announced it, so knew there'd been a pretty serious accident, but wasn't until I got to my mate Dave's house on the way to my exam, and he said "I hear Owen Hart died" I was quite shocked. Surprised I didn't mess that exam up totally. I think I went home after and watched the whole show. I also got a few of the "he's not really dead, wrestling's fake" bullshit lines from pricks.

I was in Year 8 (?) I think. I was still in middle school (I went to First school, then middle, then high and sixth form), and I had my best friend ring me about 8 o clock just before I left the house.

'Rob, Owen Hart's dead.'

'Yeah, real funny Sam, I've got to go to school.'

'No, he's really dead. He was on the roof and fell'

'He was on the roof? Good one Sam'

'Seriously, he fell into the ring and it broke and he was put in an ambulance and then Jim Ross said he was dead'

For some reason, I suddenly believed him, but I had to clarify it with my mate Pat. Shocking, he was my second favourite wrestler. Plus my middle names Owen. I still couldn't quite wrap my head around it. If I remember I went home after school and watched his match with Shawn Michaels from IYH6.

had a GCSE exam that day. English, I think.

Me too. It was myt first exam I believe, but that didn't stop me from trying to stay up til 4am to watch the show. If I recall correctly, I saw the aftermoments of the accident, but fell asleep before they officially announced it, so knew there'd been a pretty serious accident, but wasn't until I got to my mate Dave's house on the way to my exam, and he said "I hear Owen Hart died" I was quite shocked. Surprised I didn't mess that exam up totally. I think I went home after and watched the whole show. I also got a few of the "he's not really dead, wrestling's fake" bullshit lines from pricks.

Oh yeah, that does ring a bell. Still hard to believe. I'm not sure why, but I've always thought you were rendered infertile by exposure to radiation. I think I get Barrow Island and Three Mile Island mixed up.

Well I do work on Nuclear projects for the defence industry, but my testicles are muscular enough to withstand the radiation.

Watched it live; I was in my final year of Uni, and some of our friends had Sky installed at their house. Every month we would all watch the wrestling (highlighted by the Wrestlemania fancy dress party) or the big boxing events into the early hours. I remember a couple of the lads actually didn't stick with the show when it was announced that Owen had died.

• Paid Members

I watched it live. I can remember after we were told there had been an accident I rang Ebb who was also watching and we sat there with the phone to our ears whilst it was announced. What a tragedy.

I was watching the PPV live in my living room. I'd been online earlier that day and read a "rumor" that Shane Douglas (who must of been available at the time) was going to be under the hood, win the strap and reveal himself afterwards. Pretty crazy but it placed enough doubt in my mind even when it happened that it wasn't Owen.

As the night went on it became clear and yeah I was devestated. I've always been a proud fan of the Harts first and foremost and this really shook me up. I was only 15 or 16 at the time and other than my Grandfather (who died when I was 7 who I loved so much) I'd never really been exposed to death.

Owen was a terrific wrestler. I still think of him often and think what a waste of life it was. I've been lucky enough to visit Calgary twice and both times I've stopped in at Owen's grave to pay respects. I still miss Owen Hart. A man I never met. It's a funny ol' game.

1000th post dedicated to Owen I DID IT IM THE BEST WHOOOOOOOOO

Archived