Mr. Anderson

Mr. Seven

Apologies for using the phrase "the business" but it had to be done.

Right so Mr. Anderson then. Horrible promo, dreadful whiny bitch character, obnoxious gum-chewing, horrific attempt at trying to be Steve Austin, clumsy as fuck and one of the blandest wrestlers to come along in forever. Maybe he's better than Abyss. Maybe.

Discuss.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm quite liking Mr. Anderson's current character. He's a genuinely dislikable guy and TNA have actually done a good job making that a positive, whether by design or accident.

Now Abyss, now he's one of the worst guys in the business.

• Paid Members

He was good as a heel last year. Granted he was in a feud with Kurt Freakin' Angle, so it's hard to look bad. His current tweener character is unwatchable, yes I agree.

Abyss started to get interesting when Ric Flair started calling him "The Abyss" for a few months. That and when he has a match with Kurt Freakin' Angle.

He was good as a heel last year. Granted he was in a feud with Kurt Freakin' Angle, so it's hard to look bad. His current tweener character is unwatchable, yes I agree.

This, for me. As someone said earlier, he comes across as a genuinely dislikable bloke - as, I feel, The Miz does, which is a big reason his own babyface act was excruciating when he first arrived in the WWE. The WWE played to Miz's strengths eventually, and made him a very effective heel. TNA were doing the same with Anderson last year, but everything about his promo style and mannerisms jars with being a babyface. Trying to turn that into a Steve Austin anti-hero doesn't work, because Anderson simply doesn't look hard enough for the part. The fact he's been in an awful, heatless, seemingly never-ending feud with Sting and RVD for ages just exacerbates the whole effect.

• Paid Members

Anderson's an odd one, both in terms of himself and in terms of fan acclaim. It was only last year people were singing his praises on here, having vilified him for the past two or three for his conduct following the Benoit death and for his lacklustre performances in WWE.

I quite like him as a heel. He's incredibly unlikable, and whilst he's been a klutz in WWE, he seems to have tightened up that side of his game in WWE - he doesn't seem to botch much, doesn't injure other guys like he used to, and has gotten away from his "Sicknote" status.

Promo-wise, he's hit-and-miss for me. When it comes to banter in angles, he's pretty good - comes across as a very natural douchebag. When it comes to actual, to-camera promos, he seems a bit forced and trying too hard.

He's not good enough to be Stone Cold, yet TNA appear to be trying to push him that way. I don't think it's working, and he needs to go back to either being a clear-cut heel or face. He's not such a bad face, but the "Asshole" thing, for me, only worked when he called himself that. Calling his fans Assholes seems pretty desperate. As a heel, he can be downright spectacular at times.

• Paid Members

One thing I'll disagree on about Abyss: he wasn't always shit, as some have made out. He's had the odd moment of overness as a face, and wasn't bad at getting heel heat back in the day. Problem now is that he's over-pushed and over-exposed beyond his abilities, and people are always going to react badly to that. His promo abilities aren't awful - his delivery's OK and he sounds like a psycho, his in-ring work isn't particularly sloppy but is very boring, and his look needs a load more work now that they've got bigger "stars" in.

Also, if you're talking about mainstream wrestling, I can think of a few who are/were definitely worse than Abyss.

• Paid Members

I cannot stand Anderson, I don't think he brings much (if anything) to the table at all. When he first joined WWE I quite liked his entrance...but that was it. Rubbish clumsy wrestler, rubbish look (doesn't have a decent physique and has a fuck awful tattoo), very bland in every sense. What actually is his angle? What is his gimmick? What is he all about? Although John Cena doesn't have an identifiable gimmick as per se, that's because he's earned the 'unique' gimmick (copyright EWR) after getting over with his rapper gimmick. What the fuck is Mr Anderson? Why is he Mr Anderson, and not Ken Anderson? How is the Mr part explained? Why does he do the boxing announcing gimmick?

What does it all mean? What is his purpose?! I wouldn't mind if he vanished tbh.

But I would say there are worse out there, and that's saying something.

Archived