Notalgia * Re-Watching ECW

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

recently got my hands on some old ECW TV...i was pretty much an ECW fanboy back in the day, from around 98-on i followed the promotion religiously, it wasn't always easy to get hold of the footage back in them days so i went down the tape trading route, it was an exciting time to be a fan but with the cash it cost to buy all the f'n tapes i missed out on a lot of TV stuff, i saw all the PPV and went back and caught up on all the main shows pre-PPV, i also saw a considerable amount of TV...but with the aid of downloading i've been able to get hold of lots of shit i never saw.

So i've got hold of 1996' TV schedule and i'm gonna watch it :) I decided to go with '96 because i think many think that was kinda promotions hey-day, pretty much all the guys to associate with ECW were in there then, and it was truly at it's cult peak.

ECW TV intro '96 - quite simply the greatest intro to a wresting show ever.

I know there was a thread here not long ago about someone who'd gone back to watch ECW and thinking it was nowhere near as good as they'd remembered...but about 20mins into the first show of 96 and i'm fucking loving it.

so many promotions tried to get on the ECW ECW ECW-chant train but nothing betters the actual ECW fans....when they bust it out after Paul E. & Joey Styles in-ring intro, i got goosebumps....cut to the White Zombie intro, the dingy look, it truly epitomises a punk rock wrestling show. It takes me back and i fucking loves it!

I'll post some random shit in here as i watch, feel free to post any thoughts you have...please try straying away from the 'ECW sucked', 'it hasn't aged well', 'it's not as good as i remember' shit...positive shit/thoughts people!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

i know this might sound stupid, but i love the way the show is intercut with adverts for home videos and forthcoming shows...i remember marvling at that shit, they just cut to an advert for the November To Remember '95 home video spliced with clips of the show with Guns N' Roses November Rain playing over the top, fantasic.

• Paid Members

A lot of people will post negatively about the actual quality of wrestling if you let them, but for me the difference was that I always cared about what most of the characters were doing in their storyline at the time, whereas with the WWF while the matches / cards were "better" a lot of the time, I didn't give a shit about the storylines or who actually won a lot of the time during 1995-96, unless it involved Bret, Owen or Smithers.

WcW was better, mind.

• Paid Members

the thing is, the quality of the wrestling is never what got me into ECW...it was the vibe/feel of the show, i suppose the people who never felt that didn't get it. I remember a buddy of mine recording like half a show when it was shown on Bravo way back, we'd rewatch like the same 30mins over and over. I didn't have cable TV and this was before i was aware of tape trading so i would hound this guy to record more stuff, it was fantastic...Stuey (Piddlepants McGee) mentioned earlier to me that technology has spoiled us, in that we can get hold basically anything we want now, and i wouldn't change that because it's fucking awesome. But back in the day when you had to literally wait weeks on end to see something new, or you'd get a video in the post featuring some shitty 5th generation vhs, brilliant times. I'm glad i experienced it, kids these days don't know what their missing :)

I'm marking out!!

• Paid Members

was it? haha brilliant.

the first episode was great, nice little Too Cold Scorpio/Mikey Whipwreck match in which Mikey won the TV Title and the tag Title due to some weird stipulation, match consisted of Too Cold basically doing his top move repetoire on Mikey then losing after a Cactus Jack run in :)

then the Gangster's beat Public Enemy in a standard ECW brawl (Public Enemy are about to leave the company)...the sound of Natural Born Killer playing as the Gangsters kick off is still one of my favourite things in wrestling. The dubbed music over this stuff on the Delta dvd's was horrifying.

The dubbed music over this stuff on the Delta dvd's was horrifying.

I have a few ECW video tapes which are pretty much impossible to watch because of this.

Like most people I discovered ECW when episodes of Hardcore TV would air at something ridiculous like 3AM on a Thursday morning. I'd tape them, often setting an alarm just before the show started to make sure my VCR actually started recording when it was supposed to, and then watch the episodes the following day. I didn't have Sky at the time so the only wrestling I got to see was WCW Monday Nitro every Friday night and episodes of WWF Shotgun/Mania/Blastoff/Live Wire (with Todd Pettengill, and later some guy named Michael Cole) at lunchtimes on Saturday so watching episodes of Hardcore TV was a mindblowing experience for me. Compared to the bright lights and glamour of WCW and WWF programming ECW was grotty and cheap, they promoted themselves as professional wrestlings renegades and I couldn't get enough of it. People sneer at ECW now, but wrestling would be a hell of a lot different today if it wasn't for them.

i know this might sound stupid, but i love the way the show is intercut with adverts for home videos and forthcoming shows...i remember marvling at that shit, they just cut to an advert for the November To Remember '95 home video spliced with clips of the show with Guns N' Roses November Rain playing over the top, fantasic.

The November Rain vid for me si the best ad they ever did - NTR 94 - ACE!

• Paid Members
Like most people I discovered ECW when episodes of Hardcore TV would air at something ridiculous like 3AM on a Thursday morning. I'd tape them, often setting an alarm just before the show started to make sure my VCR actually started recording when it was supposed to, and then watch the episodes the following day.

What channel was this on?

Like most people I discovered ECW when episodes of Hardcore TV would air at something ridiculous like 3AM on a Thursday morning. I'd tape them, often setting an alarm just before the show started to make sure my VCR actually started recording when it was supposed to, and then watch the episodes the following day.

What channel was this on?

May have been Bravo or the 1999 equivalent

• Paid Members
Vito mentioned it being on during the Pettingill-era WWF and it being on a 3 in the morning. Was ECW on in the UK pre-1999? Genuine question. I have no idea.

Wasn't it avaliable like WCW on some of those German DSF channels?

Archived