Notalgia * Re-Watching ECW

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I remember watching it with my Dad back in 1997, when I was very young. Every fucking week, my Dad would dart to the remote to switch something else on when it was time for the adverts because it could go from Jerry Flynn to a German lass dildoing her fanny in the space of a second. Alex Wright would be doing German interview duty, he'd shoot us to the commercial break and then you'd hear "NEUN-HUNDERT-NEUN-UNT-NEUNZIG" and some German with a perm giving it one up herself while your Dad was talking real loud about the merits of a Glacia and Ernest Miller vs the Faces of Fear feud so I wouldnt look at the telly.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

My Dad always found the adverts hysterical. My mum not so much. But my Dad used to have me watching Tutti Frutti on RTL from when I was about 5 or so, which probably explains a lot.

• Paid Members

I used to like the indoor football tournaments they used to have on DSF during the winter break in the Bundesliga season. Great fun. They reminded me of the Soccer Six they used to have at the G-Mex every Christmas when I was a kid.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

im back on it...

Episode of Hardcore TV starts off with some shitty squash match (involving the infamous Dirtbike Kid)...match ends crowd are shitting all over it, Sandman runs in canes the fuck out of everyone "YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" cane shot "YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" cane shot. Cut to the always brilliant Hardcore TV intro...shows officially starts with Joey Styles in the ring introducing the show, lights go out, come back on Pillman's debuting center ring, crowd go fucking wild. Fucking best 5 minute to a wrestling tv show ever, i fucking love it.

I was a massive ECW fan back in 1994-96. Because of the underground nature of tape trading and fanzines in those pre-widely-available-internet days, it almost felt like you were following a cult. Do wrestling fans today still feel the same way about the current stuff as we did back then about this?

After meeting up with some traders I knew at the first Sabu show in Walthamstow in 1995 and exchanging tapes, I think I spent 36 hours straight watching the new ECW stuff I'd just got. As I recall, it was all the early-mid 1995 stuff - shitloads of TV, Double Tables, Return Of The Funker, etc.

• Paid Members

ECW was my thing, from 1997 right up until they folded. Like a lot of people, I was a Hulkamania member or Warrior growing up, and looking for something a little edgier than most of what I was getting from the WWF product at the time, even though I didn't really know it. (I tell you one fucking thing, though, I was SICK of seeing those strange, middle-aged tarts who dressed up like Shawn Michaels at every WWF show).

I had heard the noise that ECW was making, mostly through Powerslam and the likes of WrestleAmerica, The Wrestler and PWI which I bought every month. (Black and white pages~).

Like a poor, desperate IDIOT, I remember one issue of one of those aforementioned magazines printed a section in one of it's year-end issues (96), a run down of all the American independant promotions, giving stats etc, it included ECW, for each company it had the channel they were on and the frequency of the channel if you didnt have it preset already on your TV....In my eagerness, I forgot that this was an American magazine and there I was for hours on end, trying to tune my TV in to the MSG network and the like. Oh my, indeed.

After a good 6 months of reading about ECW's shows and certain controversies, I watched them turn up on Raw in the Manhattan centre and loved it. In the very next Powerslam after that show, I read an advert in the classifieds section from Rob Butcher, advertising the ECW VHS shows which I had wanted to source for quite a while. Well, Rob' service kicked ass, and after a few months of ordering from him, I gave him an advanced payment, so that he would send me any new commercial tapes that came out and TV blocks. I had a hell of a paper round in order to buy them though, but it was worth it.

After that, was about 4 years of great programming, not just ECW, of course, but taking in the Monday night wars etc and everything that followed, it was great. Friday nights were Nitro, Thunder and Raw. Then I would watch my ECW TV that I got from Rob, in chronological order, and watch the commercial tapes in corresponding order also. What a time.

As the years went by, I built up quite an impressive collection of ECW on VHS. When Glen Radford packed the game in, I bought quite a few of his Whitebox master tapes. In the end, my ECW collection was made up of 90% whitebox master tapes, I spent a good few years getting them, I never bothered with anything else, just ECW. No horrible Delta music edits or anything like that.

Unfortunatley, I lost them all in a house fire. Of course, they are only VHS and thankfully no one was hurt, but everytime I try to watch ECW now, I get pissed off because I'm reminded that it was a sweet collection and they are getting harder and harder to get. For instance, the vast majority of ECW shows on youtube are Delta versions, the original ECW home video ones are rare on there, so sometimes I get pissed off thinking of it, and I very rarely watch ECW now.

As for DSF, I remember starting a thread about it ages ago, and people always have fond memories of it. Other that what has already been mentioned, one of the things I remember most is trying to translate from German, when the WCW pay-per-views would be shown, but I never got it right. (That was one thing that pissed me off about WCW, that we couldn't watch the PPV's here).

The ECW from Rob Butcher days were fucking great. Period. But when he packed it in and left for America (I think it was) and sold his business to GWI (Global Wrestling Imports)....Ohh what a dark time that was. Minimum 4-5 week wait for delivery. Slags.

• Paid Members
Is Dirtbike Kid the guy that got shot on by some jap wrestler. Also what a shit gimmick a dirtbike kid what was he thinking

'some jap wrestler' was in fact the Great Sasuke.

There was a video on Youtube a while back but it's been pulled now, I think.

Is Dirtbike Kid the guy that got shot on by some jap wrestler. Also what a shit gimmick a dirtbike kid what was he thinking

I am fully aware who the Great Sasuke is. I just forget about the whole incident untill Ebb brought up dirtbike kids name. Howcome Sasuke shot on him and what happened to the legendary dirtbike kid

• Paid Members

ECW was very, very much one of those "You had to be there" things. Trying to explain to fans who weren't watching through that era, is mostly a waste of time. It's easy to forget how much different everything was then, and I don't just mean the product. For example, even being the traditional "fan" was different, before internet shopping, you had to buy your merchandise from either ; some panflet accompanying WWF magazine or Powerslam, a very very rare live event, or you chose something from the out-dated and over priced shite that was in local stores, unless you were brave enough to sit through those awful QVC UK shows with that absolute monumental COCK of a bloke on it who claimed to be a WWF "insider" and would come out with the most amazingly wrong facts all the time. Wherever you did buy your stuff from though, unless it was in-store, you waited a fucking lifetime for it. Not like the 24hr delivery they have now. It were different in my day laddie....

I am fully aware who the Great Sasuke is. I just forget about the whole incident untill Ebb brought up dirtbike kids name. Howcome Sasuke shot on him and what happened to the legendary dirtbike kid

There might have been other factors, but I think it was mostly because it was a masked tournament, and he took his off before the bell to leave just one of those mouth protector/chin-strap things.

After Hayabusa, Sasuke's easily my next favourite Japanese guy, you'd have thought they could've found a bit of a better opponent than Justin Credible for his 'big' ECW match.

I actually just watched a couple of tribute highlight vids of his the othernight, both have some clips of the Dirtbike Kid incident

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gsPOYvyaT8

Archived