Notalgia * Re-Watching ECW

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

The Fan Cam's were. They werent available until about 1997, I believe. I cant remember Hardcore TV ever being on DSF. I do remember a Football Focus style wrestling show were the presenter would show footage of ECW. I loved DSF. It was better than WWE 24/7. It was awesome. Someone should start a thread about it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Vito mentioned it being on during the Pettingill-era WWF and it being on a 3 in the morning. Was ECW on in the UK pre-1999? Genuine question. I have no idea.

It does pre-date '99, I remember being in Sixth Form in early '98, completely unaware of ECW, a boy (who wasn't a wrestling fan at the time) started to tape Hardcore TV that was being shown on Bravo, he brought a few tapes into the Common Room.

First thing I ever saw was Dreamer getting choke slammed through the 3 table stack from the balcony.

• Moderators

If I remember correctly (which I probably don't) in 1998 showing the 96-97 Hardcore TV it was first run at 10pm with a repeat at 3 or 4 or 5 or something, not sure which time exactly, but it was certainly after Beverly Hills Bordello. But on Weekdays there was most definitely a 10pm showing of Hardcore TV, but it was only for 30 minutes. So it was either edited or cut in half. Then when they showed recent tapes in 2000 they used to call it "ECW 2000" in trails for it making it sound like a stable in a fucking Japanese fed.

• Paid Members
Vito mentioned it being on during the Pettingill-era WWF and it being on a 3 in the morning. Was ECW on in the UK pre-1999? Genuine question. I have no idea.

It does pre-date '99, I remember being in Sixth Form in early '98, completely unaware of ECW, a boy (who wasn't a wrestling fan at the time) started to tape Hardcore TV that was being shown on Bravo, he brought a few tapes into the Common Room.

First thing I ever saw was Dreamer getting choke slammed through the 3 table stack from the balcony.

yes! i remember Johnny getting hold of them tapes which led to me begging to borrow it from him, used to get half taped shows and all that, great stuff.

I remember getting a legit. copy of Guilty as Charged '99 when they released the first 2 videos over here (the other being Living Dangerously), i watched that thing from beginnging till end about 20 times.

ECW was a bit dump to be fair. For eery bit of gold you had a El Puerto Ricano, Tom Marquez or SPIROS GRECOS!

Does anyone know who Spiros Greco was? I think I must have watched Cyberslam '96 about half a dozen times so I remember him fondly.

At least with El Puerto Ricano they didn't refer to him as 'Ubas', which was the name he was going under on the indies at the time.

• Paid Members

Wasn't it avaliable like WCW on some of those German DSF channels?

That long Saturday night show DSF used to have show aired various ECW matches (not full cards). I remember watching a Bam-Bam Bigelow vs Shane Douglas match there.

In 1995 or 96, Bravo used to show Bushido (UWFI, Gary Albright and Nobuhiko Takada and all that), then showed ECW after it.

Yeah I think it was 1997, the first match I saw was RVD & Sabu vs Furnas & Lafon/kroffat and on the show was a scafold match aswell think it was Brian Lee vs Dreamer.

my dad hated wrestling so was wasnt happy when me & my brother found worse (looking) wrestling and added that to our must watch list, DSF was great for wcw ppvs but dont remember seeing any ecw on it.

That long Saturday night show DSF used to have show aired various ECW matches (not full cards). I remember watching a Bam-Bam Bigelow vs Shane Douglas match there.

In 1995 or 96, Bravo used to show Bushido (UWFI, Gary Albright and Nobuhiko Takada and all that), then showed ECW after it.

Yeah, the show was called World of Wrestling and was presented by a guy named Nic Heldt and was a magazine style show where they would show footage from various promotions. I have a few episodes of this still on tape and aswell as WCW, they would show ECW, AAA (on the shows I have there is a Cibernetico vs Latin Lover match and also a six-man with Los Payasos) and old WCW PPV matches (Roma vs Alex Wright, Rude/Austin vs Windham/Rhodes, Cactus/Payne vs Tex/Shanghai).

Yeah, the show was called World of Wrestling and was presented by a guy named Nic Heldt and was a magazine style show where they would show footage from various promotions. I have a few episodes of this still on tape and aswell as WCW, they would show ECW, AAA (on the shows I have there is a Cibernetico vs Latin Lover match and also a six-man with Los Payasos) and old WCW PPV matches (Roma vs Alex Wright, Rude/Austin vs Windham/Rhodes, Cactus/Payne vs Tex/Shanghai).

This show used to air Smokey Mountain Wrestling too along with other US Indies like GWF. I used to try and watch this but it seemed to be on at a different time each week. Occasionally, it aired on a weekday too.

• Moderators

DSF will always have a place in my heart for...

"DER NACHTKLUB! NOIN NOIN NOIN NOINZIG, NOIN NOIN, NOIN NOIN, NOIN SECHS!"

Rare you can wank in an advert break, but DSF broke the mold. I think one of the pundits on World of Wrestling (in which Alex Wright would win the FANPOWER vote most weeks) is the TNM bloke as well. Oliver Kopp, or something similar.

• Moderators

I fucking hated 1997. When they shifted everything but Nitro and World Of Wrestling onto DSF Action of fucking German Digital. Cunts.

I remember just about the time of the change was an advert on DSF for Wrestlemania X on a Sonntag at 1700 uhr on DSF. So my mate Gav Davies (Who was a fucking beast) I invited around for tea to watch it. It was on DSF Action, DSF shown fucking Billiards. He beat the fuck out of me in my garden.

Hard fucking lad, Gav Davies.

This theme/intro is still bored into my head though -

It was nice how they'd say "Hello to our British Fans" at some point most shows as well.

• Moderators

MInd you, it's worth pointing out how brave a channel DSF Action was, even though we couldn't get it. Probably the first ever Wrestling only channel, and they had EVERYTHING! They'd even show the occasional TIm Horner match from WCCW out of the blue on World of Wrestling, so I Imagined they showed even that on DSF Action.

I remember being about 8 or 9 years old in about 98/99 and completely loving getting into wrestling. Prior to getting Sky at around that period, the only wrestling I had seen was all from about 89/90 as that was all the video shop round the corner had. So I had seen Mania 4,5 and 6, and a couple of Summerslams and Survivor Series, but nothing could beat Friday nights in front of the telly, Nitro on first (I think) and then staying up late to watch Raw - really cool being that age and watching stuff from that era, although a lot of the DX stuff went over my head - I realised that first hand running around school crotch-chopping and yelling 'SUCK IT', only to be told I really shouldn't be saying that.

ECW on Bravo I watched bits and pieces - whatever my brother would record basically as it was on too late on a school night for me to begin.

Completely off topic, but one of my most distinctive memories as a kid would be I think October '97, whenever the Hell In A Cell match with HBK/Taker was. I remember my brother and my mum watching the reply on what was probably a Monday night, and I had woken up and went to get a drink at exactly the same time Kane debuted, looking scary as fuck with that infernal music playing. I was shit scared of Kane for about a year after that, to the extent that I once went to see my football team play, and looking around at all the fans only felt safe then, knowing that Kane wouldn't be able to get past all those people to get to me.

Archived