Notalgia * Re-Watching ECW

Egg Shen

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rewatched Dr is In a couple of months back and still love that show. A couple of thoughts though: I wish they'd brought Johnny Smith in more - he seemed to have something in his match with Louis Spicolli. Also Pitbull 2 reminded me so much of Ryback. Was Anthony Durante really two decades ahead of his time?

• Moderators

ECW always seemed to have plans for Johnny Smith whenever they brought him in but didn't do anything with him. Let him look up to the task of Taz against him when he was being pushed to the moon in 96, meant to be one of the Impact Players...

Heyman must have really liked him. Was it a case of his Japanese commitments getting in the way?

I guess it must have been the Japanese commitments thing. Unless he got into a big row with someone, but I've never heard him mentioned as a troublemaker. Actually, come to think of it, I've never really heard him mentioned in any context. Johnny Smith is a bit of a forgotten man of wrestling.

Tommy Dreamer Vs. Jerry Lawler at Hardcore Heaven 1997 is perhaps the most boring wrestling match in existence

Have you not seen Bushwhackers vs Beverly Brothers from Rumble 1992? Sit through that, than be amazed that only ten minutes has elapsed.

Christ, that is incredibly boring. When I watched Rumble 92 for the first time on the back of the good reviews the main event gets, I decided to watch the whole event. I had to watch it in two sittings thanks to this match.

UK Undertaker, what are you on about?

I do miss the classic battles between the likes of RVD and Jerry Lynne. I miss the original Dudleys playing absolute fuck with the Philly crowd. I miss the FBA bumping like crazy in the PPV opener. I miss Steve Corinos classic promos and juice jobs. I miss old school ECW. It had a tight feel of unity to it. Some great entertainment. It can never be replicated.

I must be in the minority of people who didn't like Lynn v RVD. All a bit too choreographed imo. My favourite ECW matches have always been the wild, crazy ones with a ton of blown spots and wandering about and the feeling anything could happen.

I must be in the minority of people who didn't like Lynn v RVD. All a bit too choreographed imo. My favourite ECW matches have always been the wild, crazy ones with a ton of blown spots and wandering about and the feeling anything could happen.

I watched a few of them recently and as much as i love ECW my head says something different from my heart and they haven't aged too well. That being said it was something completely different at the time seeing it as a teenager having grown up being drip fed WWF and the occasional WCW on German satellite television.

Someone mentioned it earlier but i broke my ECW virginity based on the furore of Heatwave 1998 and it was the first tape i bought online as a result of all the internet chat and talk amongst a few folks in school who were right into their wrestling. Nostalgia is wonderful but like with the RVD/Lynn matches even watching this DVD now is a bit strange. Tanaka v Awesome still leaves a lasting impression in the context of when i saw it for the first time - never lose that wow factor - but the other match which everyone seemed to be raving over at the time (RVD/Sabu v Hakushi/Hayabusa tag match) just feels a bit meh :sneaky:

• Paid Members

I guess thats down to you being able to see RVD/Lynn still matches on any indy show these days, back in the day though it was ground breakong kind of stuff.

Its the same with the violence in ECW, its been topped and then some by independent promotions since but ECW definitely paved the way for it.

I never really watched ECW at the time, but whenever I've watched it since I can't help but think Joey Styles is terrible. Did people really like him at the time? Why? He seems rather contradictory to the product at times for me, and more than that, he somehow makes me feel embarrassed that I'm listening to him and his rubbish catchphrases and perversions and whole picked on dourness. He was alright in the 'E but jesus I'm staggered they wanted the guy on the ECW tapes.

• Paid Members

I remember really liking the Jerry Lynn vs Justin Credible opener from Heatwave 98. And the Lynn vs Lance Storm opener from Anarchy Rulz 99. I preferred them to any of the main Lynn vs RVD matches people raved about. Haven't seen them in probably a good 10 years now though so fuck knows how they hold up.

• Paid Members

I really liked Styles at the time and remember being pleased when he showed up in WWE, then suddenly realizing he wasn't great. It might just have been he fitted in with ECW so it sounds natural watching back over it, I especially enjoyed him teamed up with Don Callis, he and the network were one of the best things about the last year or so of ECW.

• Paid Members

Styles was great, i thought he just fitted into it all perfectly...he later duo of Styles/Cyrus are amongst my favorite announce teams. Cyrus was the f'n man!

Archived