Notalgia * Re-Watching ECW

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
im back on it...

Episode of Hardcore TV starts off with some shitty squash match (involving the infamous Dirtbike Kid)...match ends crowd are shitting all over it, Sandman runs in canes the fuck out of everyone "YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" cane shot "YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" cane shot. Cut to the always brilliant Hardcore TV intro...shows officially starts with Joey Styles in the ring introducing the show, lights go out, come back on Pillman's debuting center ring, crowd go fucking wild. Fucking best 5 minute to a wrestling tv show ever, i fucking love it.

This must of been the episode of Hardcore TV directly after Cyberslam 96. I remember that the Dirt Bike Kid match was the opener on that commercial tape. Good fucking show that.

"LET HIM PISS....LET HIM PISS....LET HIM PISS"

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I have always wondered why Justin Credible got that big push in ECW he was average in the ring and poor on the mic and also looked like a rat. He was just a poor man's Raven in my eyes

I dont think Credible ever fully caught on with the fans but i always remember em stating that in the final years of the company, Credible was its most consistent performer.

Anyone seen Barbed Wire City yet?

• Paid Members
Anyone seen Barbed Wire City yet?

Yep. Well worth a watch. Not as good as the Rise & Fall of ECW mind, but shits all over Forever Hardcore. The amount of people they interviewed for this is staggering (fifty people or so IIRC). There's nice little touches too like the 3D images, a brief history of Eddie Gilbert and the TWA and hearing Rocco Rock and Johnny Grunge's thoughts on the company. Sad to think that if this hadn't been Kickstarter funded, that footage of the Public Enemy talking about ECW would've been gone forever. Can't imagine they did too many interviews post 2001 did they?

I thought Barbed Wire City was on a par with the Rise and Fall. I mentioned this in another thread, but I liked how this was more of a documentary on the weird breakout success of a sub-culture, than a chronological profile of a wrestling companies. All the talking heads told stories beyond the storylines, which was great as the WWE and Borash ones had done that well enough. I learned new things, which you wouldn't think possible after the amount of ECW shite kicking around in the mid-00s. The interviews from the time the company was alive/just dead were fantastic, Paul Heyman was portrayed with a more measured view on his successes and failures compared to agenda-laden views in the other two big docs, and I liked the running side-story on the Extreme Reunion fiasco, which was handled well. Even from a wrestling-fans perspective, the small amounts of in-ring footage they did have (comparatively speaking) was used really well. The Dudleys vs the Crowd being the standout example.

It's a really, really great piece of work on a subject I thought I had no more interest in whatsoever.

• Paid Members

A lot of the people interviewed in Barbed Wire City wern't actually interviewed for the documentary, its just old RF shoot footage cut in. It works though.

Not true. It was filmed by the film makers when they were in college. Only now through the means of kickstarter could they get the money to distribute it. That's why its unique. The making pre-dates the closure of the company.

Thanks for clearing that up. I watched it a couple of days ago and whilst very interesting at the same time it had me more than a little confused with it being a 'new' documentary yet having interviews with each of the Public Enemy quite near the start and i'm thinking to myself when Petty popped up "I'm 99% sure he died quite a few years ago??" and then Grunge appears and im saying to myself "FFS i was sure he was dead too!".

The penny finally dropped near the end though when they put the date stamps on the interviews with Axl Rotten & Balls Mahoney and it donned on me it was old footage followed up with more recent interviews of them reflecting back which was horrid in itself due to the physical condition they are both in now. Rotten had bells palsy fair enough but Balls looked like he was at deaths door :(

Did like the annecdote about Heyman looking for a $1m shot in the arm from Billy Corgan in return for 10% in ECW to which he went all Dragons' Den and said there was no way it was a $10 million company.

Tommy Dreamer Vs. Jerry Lawler at Hardcore Heaven 1997 is perhaps the most boring wrestling match in existence and if memory serves me right descended into a run in ridden farce that would have made even Raven blush.

I enjoyed ECW for the most part though.

• Paid Members
Tommy Dreamer Vs. Jerry Lawler at Hardcore Heaven 1997 is perhaps the most boring wrestling match in existence

Have you not seen Bushwhackers vs Beverly Brothers from Rumble 1992? Sit through that, than be amazed that only ten minutes has elapsed.

• Paid Members
Not true. It was filmed by the film makers when they were in college. Only now through the means of kickstarter could they get the money to distribute it. That's why its unique. The making pre-dates the closure of the company.

really? fuckin' hell they sat on that stuff for awhile.

From the moment I watched The Night the Line Was Crossed 94, filmed on 1 camera I was hooked. That main event coupled with the post match angle is still one of the best things I have seen in professional wrestling. Shane Douglas was years ahead of his time. I still believe that if he had went to the WWE and the Franchise instead of The Dean he would have been a great success. This was before he got too lazy and started relying on too much profanity for his promo's. He was awesome!

• Paid Members
Is Dirtbike Kid the guy that got shot on by some jap wrestler. Also what a shit gimmick a dirtbike kid what was he thinking

'some jap wrestler' was in fact the Great Sasuke.

There was a video on Youtube a while back but it's been pulled now, I think.

Amazing that even under a mask, Sasuke looks pissed off.

Archived