RAW Discussion *Spoilers* 28/3

Super Cena

WWE or Hollywood?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Excellent build up to Mania in my book. Cena's Attitude Adjustment on Rock almost eliminates any chance of Rock helping Cena at Mania then raising his hand. The big looser in all of this Mania build up appears to be Kofi Kingston, what on earth has he done so wrong?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought all in all it was a good show. The CM Punk/Orton was stuff was a a bit basic but well done and I think it will be a good match at Mania. Also that short promo from Orton was really well done, I usually find Orton incredibly boring but he was good tonight.

The Taker/HHH/HBK thing was fantastic and finally advanced the story after weeks of them just staring at each other and pointing at the Wrestlemania sign. They all played their part well but really HBK was the star here. He added an edge to the match and I love the idea that Shawn Michaels is going into the HOF full of regrets. Kayfabe anyway.

The Rock/Cena/Miz ending was great and one of those rare occasions where you genuinely didn't know what was going to happen. I think the ending they went with was the best option and builds interest for Mania. I know it's been done to death on the Internet especially but that was as close to a heel turn that we're likely to get with Cena. He admitted to starting the feud by calling out The Rock and then got angry with The Rock for firing back which is pretty hypocritical, he snuck up from behind and attacked Rock and then walked off taunting and smiling. All whilst being booed out of the building.

I can't wait to see Rock get his revenge on Cena, so that segment definitely did it's job.

What an amazing piece of television that was, not one minute of it bored me at all. The highlights for me though were The Rock and Cena stuff, they both showed The Miz up because I'm two interested in the match that we won't see (yet). The Rock was brilliant though, and Cena was getting major heat from the crowd. The Shawn Michaels thing was interesting, I wanted Diesel to come out and give his opinion though as well. Edge and Christian looked great together as well, I wonder what they will do for the World Title after Wrestlemania though. If Del Rio wins, there isn't anyone for him to feud with other than Edge or Christian, unless they push Kofi Kingston for abit, or turn Drew McIntyre face.

• Paid Members

I fucking loved this show, wow! I'm so excited for 'Mania now.

The crowd were great for most of this, that helps.

The Triple H/Undertaker segment was excecuted to perfection. Triple H cut his best promo in years telling us why he'll win etc. Shawn Michaels and Undertakers facial expressions were spot on ('Taker being confident and defiant while Shawn Michaels was doubtful and tortured). I loved the way it all unfolded, DX acting all cocky only for 'Taker to reach deep in their soul and put the seeds of doubt in their head. Wasn't arsed with this before this show, now I can't wait.

Finally, The Rock/John Cena/Miz was a ride. Simply because they went so many ways and teased so much and delivered a conclusion that WWE usually shy away from because it fucks up the status quo. The Rock came out to a monster pop and had the crowd eating up everything.

Then mark out moment two came as the realisation of Rock/Cena in the same ring happened. Cena's promo was alright, he got his point across but the "you hate me because I listen to rap and wear purple" stuff was silly (The Rock hates Cena because Cena started talking trash about The Rock) - so John Cena playing the outsider/victim grated a little.

The Miz coming out when he did was perfect, gave him extra heat. I thought his promo work was good as well. Certainly sounded like he belonged in the company he was talking about.

Mark out moment three was a thing of beauty, something I thought we'd never see again. That is The Rock kicking ass. Yes some of his punches were sloppy but fuck me was I jumping like a lunatic. When he hit that beast of a DDT then the camera panned in (you knew what was coming) I was literally bouncing up and down on my computer chair - yes like a mong, but I didn't care. A Rock Bottom later and I was so happy.

Then mark out moment five came when WWE made the hard decision and had John Cena AA The Rock as the crowd booed him like he kicked the face off a baby. The 'You can't see me' hand gesture was perfect as well.

I fully expected WWE to go the easy route and have John Cena/The Rock somehow have to team up to beat The Miz. Like the two on one on The Rock, I was sure Cena was about to jump in. The truth is nobody wants to see Cena and The Rock to do a big mutual respect angle, they want them to kick each others heads in. WWE made the hard decision (but the right one) and now Cena is going to get booed like never before, as the fans pay for 'Mania to see The Rock lay the smack down.

I'll type it again. Can't wait for Wrestlemania.

The Rock on Twitter -

John Cena - God himself can't save you from the ass kicking I will give you this Sunday at Wrestlemania. TEAM BRING IT

I really can't see them going down the happy ending of Cena/Rock celebrating together.

RAW tonight was absolutely fantastic, and even the most staunchly anti-John Cena wrestling fan will have a hard time denying his ability after tonight. A must watch.

really? I found him quite poor, I was very impressed with The Miz. I like him more and more every week and hope he gets a real run with the belt.

Depends what they were going for and what they're planning for in the future, tbh. I thought the majority of it was the usual goody two shoes, baby-kissing, too-nice-to-be-true shite that most of the older fans hate him for anyway. It's not going to endear him any more to the section of the audience that doesn't like him or the section that's growing up a bit now, and the squeaking, high-pitched Cena fans were hugely outnumbered here. However, it does sew the seeds nicely for a slow burning 'I'm in the right' heel turn similar to the Bret Hart one. That's not to say his performance was bad - the best part was his the ending, which was very 'tweener', and his mannerisms made it.

I found it rather sicking listening to HHH and Undertaker talk about how much they respected each other and watching them stroke each others egos.

Why? Yes, they did put each other over, but there was still a good bit of edge and needle to it. As the old wrestling cliche goes, if you make your opponent look and sound like a million dollars in the build-up to a match, it makes you look all the better in beating him.

• Paid Members

Rock looked like a total chump last night, as much as I hate to admit it. John Cena totally showed him up in the promo department and after Cena cut what I reckon is probably the best promo he's done recently, Rock had no comeback other than "Yeah well I'm going to kick your ass". Then he threw really awful looking punches on Miz (I know they've never been great), and then failed his kip-up, then got laid out by Cena. Team Bring It is also a really awful slogan, considering he's going to be gone again in a couple of weeks. Why would people want to be on the team of someone who isn't bothered to just walk off?.

This fued is slowly making me side with Cena, and I hate it.

HHH/Taker was just one big Ego stroke until HBK came out and stole the spotlight from both of them. When he asked HHH why he thinks he can do what HBK couldn't, and when he walked out on him and told him he can't beat Taker, it was just spot on.

I loved "THIS YEAR WE WELCOME THE ROAD WARRIORS INTO THE HALL OF FAME 2011........and paul ellering"

The rest of the show was throwaway.

Before tonight I wasn't sold on Wrestlemania, at all. I'd have still bought it as i'm a huge fan and I don't miss any events but I definitely wasn't excited.

Triple H vs The Undertaker has gone from a 'meh.. i'll grab a few beers during this' to 'Wow, I GOTTA see this match'. The promo tonight was amazing and you just know HBK is going to be involved one way or another, but the question is 'WHO'S SIDE IS HE ON!?'.

John Cena vs The Miz has a lot of intrigue. I know people think Mania will end with Cena and The Rock shaking hands and before tonight I thought that too but now I can't see it. It goes against everything The Rock has ever been for, Cena is gonna eat a Rock Bottom at the very least on Sunday.

Edge vs Alberto Del Rio is a match I always wanted to see as i'm a big Alberto fan but I am interested about Christian's involvement. I'm thinking Alberto will win due to a Edge/Christian miscommunication, so not a heel turn but it opens up a triple threat match at Extreme Rules.

Lawler vs Cole i've been looking forward to for a long time. I love Cole's heel character but I really can't wait to see him get his comeuppance. A Stone Cold Stunner on Cole will be a great moment.

Orton vs CM Punk is about the only match I really don't care about, but both wrestlers bore me. Still hoping Sheffield and Tarver turn up in Punk's corner.

Rhodes vs Mysterio will be great, loving Rhodes' new character but I can't see him winning.

The Corre vs Show/Kane/Kozlov/Marella should be a fun match and I expect The Corre to win here.

Sheamus vs Bryan will be a good match as long as it's given about ten minutes.

The Snooki match even has my interest as a fun 'throwaway'.

So yeah. I'm now officially excited

After the end of Mania 25 deeply disappointed me I didn't allow myself to get excited last year, though I enjoyed it last year I was protecting myself from disappointment so I didn't let myself feel like 'It's Wrestlemania!!!'. This year, the feeling is back.

Good post Ben, I kind of agree, in last week's Raw thread I pretty much said I wasn't too excited but after this week's Raw I am definetly starting to feel the Wrestlemania buzz now.

I think the showdown on Raw between Taker and Triple H has really really sparked my interest now, before that nothing much had happened between the two and the reason Triple H gave for wanting the match (when he made the rest of the roster seem awful and pretty much said the only challenge left for him is Taker's streak) made me think it was a rather flimsy way to put a match together, especially when it could have been huge. Now that's changed this week, they finally got in the ring and had a proper showdown and the involvement of Michaels has made it a whole lot more meaningful and interesting and now I can't wait to see it.

I agree with you on Cena and Miz's match and can see Cena getting a Rock Bottom but I just didn't like the way Miz was tossed aside on Raw, as if to say you don't matter, it's all about Rock and Cena. I hope Miz gets the win at Wrestlemania as it would really give him credibility. I don't know how The Rock could get involved though without looking like a heel, if he helps Miz win he's helping a heel, if he helps Cena win he looks stupid as he got an Attitude Adjustment on Raw. Maybe it will end with The Miz beating Cena clean and then The Rock coming out and laying them both out, leaving Wrestlemania with The Rock standing tall. Or maybe have Cena win the Title, have the same thing happen and it'd set up a PPV Title match between The Rock and Cena, maybe even a triple threat with Miz. This one is far out but maybe even have The Rock come out when the winner is in the ring celebrating, have him come down and say he has a Title match and win the Title with everyone shocked as The Rock leaves Wrestlemania the WWE Champion (similar to a Money In The Bank Title shot).

I think your prediction for the Del Rio and Edge match sounds right. I did put down Del Rio quite a bit around the Rumble but to be fair he has done quite well, I wouldn't mind seeing Christian accidently cost Edge the Title and then somewhere down the line after a lot of teasing have Christian do a full turn on Edge and have a feud between them. Maybe have Del Rio involved too and have the three of them battling over the Title, Edge as the face, Del Rio as the heel and no one knows where Christian stands.

I'm hoping Lawler and Cole's match isn't a quick filler type thing and don't think it will be as this match has had such a brilliant build up, it's the classic cowardly heel taunting the face knowing that the face is not allowed to lay a finger on him. Come Wrestlemania everyone will want to see Cole get his ass kicked all over the place. I would like a bit of a twist though, Cole isn't going to go into Wrestlemania without a plan or even a back up plan and I'd love him to keep some sort of credibility as a heel and stay around a bit longer rather than have the feud end there with Lawler just destroying him.

Orton vs. Punk is one of the matches I'm most looking forward to really as I have been a huge fan of Nexus since they began and I think Punk's New Nexus has been great. What I'm hoping for is the New Nexus members to make a return at Wrestlemania and try to take out Orton but fail only to have a monster debut and totally destroy Orton behind the ref's back and then Punk pin Orton. I wouldn't be too surprised if the Nexus do turn up and turn on Punk though after what he said last night about not caring if anyone got punted or something along those lines.

I'm wondering if Rhodes will wear a suit for the match, I can see Rey possibly winning but would love for Rhodes to get the win as I'm liking his new gimmick.

I would have really preferred if Barrett defended his Intercontinental Title against someone or even a few opponents and Gabriel and Slater defended their Titles too but I suppose this match will be good. I have been a big fan of The Corre too as I've loved Nexus and The Corre but I think these guys would have shone a lot more if they'd been put in different matches. If Santino uses the Cobra on one of them and they have to sell it then I think it will be absolutely stupid. I just really hope The Corre look really strong and get the win here.

Sheamus and Bryan should be brilliant and I hope Sheamus gets the win as he is just starting to get out of the slump he was put in as King of the Ring, a big win here could make him look great. On the other hand though I think Bryan also deserves to look good in this match so maybe have it as a very close one.

The Snookie match has had a fairly good build up to be fair and I'm not dreading it like I sometimes do with some of the divas matches at Wrestlemania. I can't see it going any other way than Trish and Snookie getting the win though.

Orton vs. Punk is one of the matches I'm most looking forward to really as I have been a huge fan of Nexus since they began and I think Punk's New Nexus has been great. What I'm hoping for is the New Nexus members to make a return at Wrestlemania and try to take out Orton but fail only to have a monster debut and totally destroy Orton behind the ref's back and then Punk pin Orton. I wouldn't be too surprised if the Nexus do turn up and turn on Punk though after what he said last night about not caring if anyone got punted or something along those lines.

Exactly what part of the New Nexus has been great, apart from just CM Punk who comes out to his own music anyway? As soon as Punk took over Nexus has been a waste of time, Otunga was the only original left and looked even more like a chump for not taking over himself when Barrett was kicked out, and the rest of them were getting beat clean by Santino every week for christ sake. Haven't they all been shipped back to development aswell?

I loved the idea of the Nexus too but you have to admit they've been far from great since the start of the year.

Rock looked like a total chump last night, as much as I hate to admit it. John Cena totally showed him up in the promo department and after Cena cut what I reckon is probably the best promo he's done recently, Rock had no comeback other than "Yeah well I'm going to kick your ass". Then he threw really awful looking punches on Miz (I know they've never been great), and then failed his kip-up, then got laid out by Cena. Team Bring It is also a really awful slogan, considering he's going to be gone again in a couple of weeks. Why would people want to be on the team of someone who isn't bothered to just walk off?.

I couldn't disagree with you more, and nor could the live crowd. I think putting him next to a master of the art like The Rock shows how poor Cena is in that department compared to previous figureheads like Rock, Austin and Hogan. The Rock could make people go wild reading from a Ben Elton novel, while Cena makes them boo him out of the building talking about how much he loves the fans and the company.

I agree that he fluffed a few of his moves, but fuck me, how long is it since he's actually done any actual wrestling? 5 or 6 years now, isn't it? His timing's off, it doesn't mean he's gone shit all of a sudden.

John Cena's promo was class. Just because the crowd hate Cena doesn't mean his promo was the cause. The crowd always hate Cena.

I would dispute that crowds 'always' hate Cena. The heel heat has hugely increased in the last month or so, and that's largely down (IMO) to putting him in direct competition with a much cooler babyface who pisses all over him in the charisma department.

If the crowd did always hate Cena, does that not mean consequently mean he must be doing something wrong? Fans used to chant 'Rocky Sucks' and 'Die Rocky Die' at the Rock too, but he managed to win almost all of them over within a couple of years. Cena's had 6 or 7 years of trying to be likable, and he still gets bigger heel heat than The Miz or Del Rio.

• Paid Members
John Cena's promo was class. Just because the crowd hate Cena doesn't mean his promo was the cause. The crowd always hate Cena.

I would dispute that crowds 'always' hate Cena. The heel heat has hugely increased in the last month or so, and that's largely down (IMO) to putting him in direct competition with a much cooler babyface who pisses all over him in the charisma department.

If the crowd did always hate Cena, does that not mean consequently mean he must be doing something wrong? Fans used to chant 'Rocky Sucks' and 'Die Rocky Die' at the Rock too, but he managed to win almost all of them over within a couple of years. Cena's had 6 or 7 years of trying to be likable, and he still gets bigger heel heat than The Miz or Del Rio.

they were in chicago, it was a pretty smart crowd.Furthermore, while I wouldn't say Cena made the rock look like a chump, his promo was excellent and made a fair few points, and his sneaky attitude adjustment and the heel grin thing was great great stuff

Archived