UFC 129: St Pierre vs Shields Discussion Thread

David

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great show from the first fight of the night, to the unbelievable Aldo/Hominick fight. Main event was a letdown but thankfully it was already the fight I was least excited about on the card beforehand anyway, so I wasn't too let down. GSP has just fully gone the Mayweather route of being a defensive striker that just picks his shots without going for too much power.

It you'd have said GSP was the most boring champion in UFC afew years ago you'd have been laughed at severely but these days its true (imo of course).

Dana didnt put the title on George?

Some guy asked Dana at the Q & A session yesterday (when people were asking for free tickets ect.) if he could put the title around the waist of the winner of the main event - credit to Dana for saying yes and actually going through with it.

• Paid Members

Really enjoyed 129.

GSP/Shields wasn't much cop but wasn't really expecting a war to be fair. I said I thought it would be pretty much a re-run of GSP vs Kos 2 and that's pretty much what we got. Shields just had fuck all to offer GSP on the feet and GSP wisely kept the fight where he was most likely to win it. Gotta be Anderson or Nick Diaz for GSP next, no other fight makes sense to me.

Aldo/Hominick was the war we all hoped for. Hominick did himself proud tonight, he's done better than anyone else has against Aldo to date and I can deffo see a rematch in the future. There were times I was thinking Hominick might pull it off but Aldo just had that little bit extra. Right decision for sure. Hominick's head looked nasty, looked like the elephant man. Scary stuff.

Shame to see Randy's MMA career end like that. His last moment in the cage and it was overhadowed by that awesome kick. That would have made Mr Miyagi proud. No doubt Steven Segal will take credit for that one :rolleyes: Amazing finish. I'd like to see Machida fight the winner of the Shogun/Forrest 2 fight. Either Machida vs Forrest or a rubber match with Shogun and the winner of that would surely be up there in the title hunt.

Henderson/Bocek was a good fight. Nice win for Bendo against a tough opponent. Glad to see Matyushenko get a strong win too. Never saw a quick KO coming in that one.

Missed the facebook prelims cos I was out but really enjoyed the prelims I saw. Rory MacDonald looks legit, the way he flung Diaz about was impressive. Loved Menjivar's short elbow KO, Ellenberger's KO and the Jabouin/Garza fight. Sweet flying triangle by Garza who's had 2 of the best fight finishes back to back in the last few months.

Very fun show all in all. The arena looked great too. No doubt they'll be back there pretty soon. They must have raked it in on ticket sales alone.

Did anyone else's Sky Plus recording finish half way through the main event? I thought there was a big issue if you went long on a PPV slot in the States as it's an automatic 3 hour slot (UFC and WCW fucked up on that account in the past) - presume things are different these days.

Archived