UFC 129: St Pierre vs Shields Discussion Thread

David

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ufc-129-poster.jpg

Georges St-Pierre vs. Jake Shields (for welterweight title)

Jose Aldo vs. Mark Hominick (for featherweight title)

Randy Couture vs. Lyoto Machida

Mark Bocek vs. Ben Henderson

Jason Brilz vs. Vladimir Matyushenko

Nate Diaz vs. Rory MacDonald+

Brian Foster vs. Sean Pierson+

Pablo Garza vs. Yves Jabouin*

Claude Patrick vs. Daniel Roberts*

Ivan Menjivar vs. Charlie Valencia*

Jason MacDonald vs. Ryan Jensen*

John Makdessi vs. Kyle Watson*

+SpikeTV prelim

*Unaired prelim

Fans were treated to the first promo for UFC 129 on Saturday night during the UFC 128 broadcast, featuring challenger Jake Shields and champion Georges St-Pierre.

The promo showcased a list of all of the fighters who Shields has beaten over the last five plus year unbeaten streak, along with showcasing all the title belts he

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Shields is going to get owned if he fights anything like his first UFC match

Couture vs. Machida really has me intrested should be a good match up

Has not heard much after his last fight. But he really did struggle with the weight cut and with this 1 being a 5 rounder if he has not adjusted to the weight cut this time it could be bad. On the other hand if he has sorted out the weight cut it could be a good 1. I can see GSP's game plan being much the same as the Koscheck 1. In and out with the Jab allot in the early rounds.

Cant wait to see Jose Aldo vs. Mark Hominick could be a highlight KO. I'm looking forward to the Randy Couture vs. Lyoto Machida fight more then anything else just to see if Randy can pull a win off and maybe have 1 last run at the title.

Edit :- come on who said St Pierre via submission? If there is 1 way Shields wont lose I would say its by sub. GSP could not tap out Hardy even tho he was in amazing positions, if GSP taps out Shields via a hold I will be much more then shocked.

• Paid Members
Ufc-129-poster.jpg

I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised that were getting the Matyushenko fight rather than the Diaz fight on the PPV segment of the show.

i think that's more a case of keeping an exciting fight on Spike! in hopes that those who watch it will get the PPV.

Brilz/Matyushenko is gonna be a battle, im a fan of both guys especially Wlad, but i can't see it being a particularly exciting fight, or it having little fanfare. This is the kind of PPV where the top 3 fights sell the whole thing, the rest could be anything.

• Paid Members
Couture vs. Machida really has me intrested should be a good match up

NickTheFace brings the awesomeness regarding that fight.

Who is NickTheFace? The video fan made?

NickTheFace's Youtube Channel

Check some of his trailers out, Rick. He makes better ones that the UFC do.

Apparently he's not doing any for a little while now though, Getting to grips with some new software.

• Paid Members

Had to go with a GSP TKO. Shields was gassed badly by round 2 against Kampmann, if he comes in like that for this fight he's fucked.

I can see GSP playing for a longer fight to tire Shields out and keeping it standing where Shields is weakest. Shields best chance is in the first 2 rounds IMO, after that it should be all GSP. I reckon he'll gas and St Pierre will stop him with strikes in round 3 or 4.

Machida/Couture is intriguing mainly for the fact that Machida is coming from being unbeaten to coming off back to back losses for the first time. Randy always has good strategy so it will be interesting to see what he's come up with for this fight. I'd be surprised if Machida doesn't win this but who knows with Randy?

Aldo should beat Hominick but it should be a lot of fun while it lasts. Hominick's the best pure striker Aldo will have faced in a while so we'll have to see if he fairs any better. Really looking forward to this fight.

• Paid Members

Lots of potential for some cracking fights on the undercard too. Love the look of all these especially

Got a feeling Bendo/Bocek could get the FOTN honours

• Paid Members

i'm taking GSP by TKO. GSP is a great striker, but it's something i think people forget because of his last half dozen fights. Against Shields GSP is going to have a slight disadvantage on the ground, and perhaps in the wrestling department so i expect him to bring the striking back and light Shields up.

• Paid Members
Lots of potential for some cracking fights on the undercard too. Love the look of all these especially

Got a feeling Bendo/Bocek could get the FOTN honours

im interested to see if we get to witness some more of Ben Henderson submission defence. Mark Bocek was confident enough to state he had the best jiu jitsu at 155, so who best to test it against than a guy who seemingly cannot be submitted. Can't wait for that.

Mark Bocek was confident enough to state he had the best jiu jitsu at 155, so who best to test it against than a guy who seemingly cannot be submitted. Can't wait for that.

I'm assuming he means the times that BJ Penn is operating at 170lbs?

i'm taking GSP by TKO. GSP is a great striker, but it's something i think people forget because of his last half dozen fights. Against Shields GSP is going to have a slight disadvantage on the ground, and perhaps in the wrestling department so i expect him to bring the striking back and light Shields up.

It took a lot longer than it should have for Shields to submit Paul Daley, plus Mayhem had Shields beat with a choke in their fight until time ran out, Shields doesnt have that great takedows either, Dan Henderson is a great wrestler offensively but Defensively not so much, Jordan Breen is infamous for trumpting that about Hendo

I dont think GSP will submit Sheilds, but no way is Sheilds going to outwrestle him, GSP is too strong and will dominate the grappling by being on top throughout I think like he did with BJ, Fitch and Alves who are no slouches on the mat

Standing GSP will dominate as well, I have come acustomed to GSP dominating but not finishing, id like to be proven wrong but I think GSP works that jab for 5 rounds turning Shields into a mess for a clear points win. Maybe wrong and GSP will TKO him, Sheilds has never been that comfy standing

Archived