UFC 129: St Pierre vs Shields Discussion Thread

David

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

well GSP's wrestling has been off the chain recently, but i was just saying that when matched up with a guy who is as poor a striker as Shields is...i don't even think GSP will attempt to grapple with Shields, he doesn't need too.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well GSP's wrestling has been off the chain recently, but i was just saying that when matched up with a guy who is as poor a striker as Shields is...i don't even think GSP will attempt to grapple with Shields, he doesn't need too.

I totally agree with that :thumbsup:

I think he'll know that if anyone can catch him in a sub on the floor, it's Jake, so he'll want to keep the fight standing I think.

• Paid Members

I think he'll know that if anyone can catch him in a sub on the floor, it's Jake, so he'll want to keep the fight standing I think.

I have a feeling it could be GSP vs Kos all over again.

I have a feeling it could be GSP vs Kos all over again.

Thats the way I think it's gonna go.

• Paid Members

I can see it being like the 2nd Kos fight too. But at least Kos had the cardio to go 5 rounds and a possible threat of an overhand right. Shields offers pretty much no danger on the feet to GSP.

Plus Shields' cardio is in question after his last fight. I know there was talk that Shields was injured going into the Kampmann fight so that could be why he gassed so quick but I'd still give GSP a big advantage in conditioning over a long fight.

I reckon GSP will adopt the Kos strategy for a couple of rounds, jabbing and sprawling, and then go in for the kill and probably take him out in round 3 or 4.

If Shields can find a way to get GSP down early he has a shot but GSP has some of the best takedown defence in MMA..it's gonna be tough. Shields could quite possibly gas himself out trying for the takedown. And even if he gets him down submitting GSP won't be easy either.

Stylistically this is a terrible match for Shields IMO.

I can see it being like the 2nd Kos fight too. But at least Kos had the cardio to go 5 rounds and a possible threat of an overhand right. Shields offers pretty much no danger on the feet to GSP.

Plus Shields' cardio is in question after his last fight. I know there was talk that Shields was injured going into the Kampmann fight so that could be why he gassed so quick but I'd still give GSP a big advantage in conditioning over a long fight.

From what I remember Shields had no cardio issues in the fight before this with Dan Henderson, went five rounds with him and took an absolute pounding (including being dropped twice) in the first round. Don't see cardio being a problem for Shields, but would give GSP an edge in this however well conditioned Shields comes in. Don't think Shields will defeat him due to his lack of stand up, but I'll be rooting for him in this anyway.

• Paid Members

i wonder how different the build up to this would have been if the Shields/Kampmann fight hadn't happened...would have a proper title vs title fight (i know technically thats stil the case), but although the event is going to be massive, that Kampmann fight has definately done some serious damage to the buzz surrounding it for the die hards.

• Paid Members
i wonder how different the build up to this would have been if the Shields/Kampmann fight hadn't happened...would have a proper title vs title fight (i know technically thats stil the case), but although the event is going to be massive, that Kampmann fight has definately done some serious damage to the buzz surrounding it for the die hards.

For it to be a real title vs title fight would Shields not need to be fighting Anderson Silva at middleweight?

• Paid Members

well kind of, but Shields was a legit. world champion...it's similar to the situation as when BJ challenged GSP.

I'm just saying that if Shields had vacated the Strikeforce title and came in and challenged GSP straight away they could have sold it as this beast 185 champion from Strikeforce coming in to challenge GSP, fans would have shit their pants...i think the Kampmann fight destroyed any kind of aura that Jake Shields had thought.

• Paid Members

i think the plan was originally to have Shields come in, walk through a top contender then get the title shot...it's kind of happened other than the walk through part, because many believe Shields lost the Kampmann fight, he looked awful regardless.

I'm sure Dana's reasoning for this is that if Shields had come in, fought GSP straight away and won it would have made Strikeforce's title outvalue the UFC title...now that Shields has a UFC win, he's seen more as a UFC fighter, get what im saying?

• Paid Members

From what I remember Shields had no cardio issues in the fight before this with Dan Henderson, went five rounds with him and took an absolute pounding (including being dropped twice) in the first round. Don't see cardio being a problem for Shields, but would give GSP an edge in this however well conditioned Shields comes in. Don't think Shields will defeat him due to his lack of stand up, but I'll be rooting for him in this anyway.

Yeah I don't think he's had a lot of cardio issues in the past. I'm just going on the Kampmann fight cos that's his most recent fight. He did look great against Hendo but that was at 185, he doesn't have to cut much weight at all to make MW. His last fight at 170 he gassed and that was a 3 rounder, he's never gone 5 rounds at 170.

I could be wrong but I could swear after the Kampmann fight the reasons given for him tiring so quickly were he was possibly injured coming in and/or he'd had a bad weight cut.

The point I was making was that there's no doubt GSP will be in shape for a 5 rounder, he's proven that time and again. We don't know the same about Shields and after gassing in his last fight and the fact he's gonna have to relentlessly try and take GSP down which would tire most guys out anyway, I have my doubts.

Like you say though, however well conditioned Shields is it's gonna be a tough fight. It's crazy to think how he's such an underdog when you consider we're talking about a guy who hasn't lost in like 6 years.

As good as Shields is, I honestly don't see how he wins this one. He's better than GSP in one area but he's gotta get him down and keep him down for that to matter, which is something even Fitch and Koscheck couldn't do.

Archived