UFC 129: St Pierre vs Shields Discussion Thread

David

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look forward to all St-Pierre's fights. I believe this will be Georges toughest test since Fitch (who he seemingly dispatched easily) Love seeing not only how GSP prepares for opponents (watching what opponents like and dislike doings in fights on video) and also how his opponents prepare and attempt to unlock the code to defeat GSP. Think it will be closer than people think but GSP will take the decision. The hype video someone put on the 1st page is tremendous. Builds the fight well.

• Paid Members

Just looking at some odds for this and you can get Shields outright at 7/2 and Shields via submission at 9/1. I think I'll be having a bit of that. Also Randy to win outright at 9/4 I think is very good too.

Edit - all with PaddyPower.

As vunerable as Machida has been in recent times, I think he walks over Couture at this point

Couture beat the decripted Mark Coleman and won a very questionable decision over Vera, whilst Machida fought two close rounds against Rampage then beat the crap out of him in the 3rd and should have at last got a draw

Machida should do enough standing, Couture got dropped by Vera and Big Nog who arent as good standing as Machida and I doubt Couture can hold Machida up against the fence like he did to Vera, Machida is too strong and to good a wrestler

Machida by TKO early

• Paid Members

Loved Primetime but it hasn't changed my mind on the fight. I still think Shields is gonna get battered.

The closer it gets I'm more pumped for Aldo/Hominick to be honest. Diaz/Rory and Hendo/Bocek could be show stealers too. Them 3 fights are the ones I'm actually most looking forward to.

Machida/Randy, I wanna see Randy score another upset but I can't see it myself. It's been proven that Machida's beatable but he's still a beast, stll top 3 or 4 at 205 IMO. Think he's gonna KO Randy into Hollywood full time :(

• Paid Members

Yeah Hominick's a great striker, at least he might be able to compete with Aldo standing. I'm going with Aldo too though, he's just on another level at the mo.

Just seen this other poster for 129

ufc129_poster_02_medium_medium.jpg

Primetime hasn't changed my mind neither, I don't think anything will to be honest. Shields is a great fighter for sure, but I think GSP is going to pick him apart on the feet like he did to Kos.

I'm most looking forward to Aldo/Hominick, Couture/Machida and Diaz/MacDonald. I can't believe it's still a couple of weeks away, it feels like forever sine we had a UFC event, can't complain too much after that Strikeforce card though.

Primetime hasn't changed my mind neither, I don't think anything will to be honest. Shields is a great fighter for sure, but I think GSP is going to pick him apart on the feet like he did to Kos.

I can see Shields causing a wee bit of bother, and this causing GSP to finish the fight rather than grind it out.

I can see Shields causing a wee bit of bother, and this causing GSP to finish the fight rather than grind it out.

I think he'll win by TKO/KO, but not until the fourth round. I see GSP controlling the first couple of rounds on the feet then really go in for the finish and ending it in the later rounds. I see another dominating performance by GSP. I'd love to be wrong and this be a close as hell fight though. I hope we at least see Shields get it to the ground in a dominant position at some point to see how it plays out.

St Pierre has been quite hesitant on his feet but that was with good reason, besides Matt Hughes they were all a threat on their feet, even if it was just a big over hand right like Koscheck.

I can't see Shields getting him down and GSP will probably get more takedowns, the other thing is Shields is a top player with his BJJ and we have yet to see someone on top throwing elbows.

I think he wins this quite easily, im thinking TKO in the second, that does'nt mean Shields sucks, it's just GSP is a bad match up for him.

• Paid Members

Claude Patrick vs Daniel Roberts and Ivan Menjivar vs Charlie Valencia fights will be streamed on Facebook

Apparently more fights may be added :thumbsup: wouldn't mind seeing Jabouin vs Garza or the Makdessi fight, I've read he's fun to watch.

Archived