UFC 129: St Pierre vs Shields Discussion Thread

David

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

i think the Hominick/Aldo & Couture/Machida fights are tough to call...

Initial reaction must make you think Aldo, but he's never fought a guy as technical as Hominick. Aldo's easiest path to victory has to be to take it to the ground but we aint seen any hint before that he has any intention of doing so (despite being a black belt), it's gonna be power and ferocity against superior technique. Gonna be be an outstanding fight.

as for Couture/Machida, who knows? so many factors come into play here, how's Couture's condition? hows Machida mentally after two losses? how does Machida cope in the clinch? can Randy deal with Machida's counter style? It's gonna be very strategic but im inclined to think that Machida is gonna land something later in the fight and end it, Machida has shown that when he hurts someone he is a deadly finisher and Randy does have a tendency to get hurt at some point in his fights.

• Paid Members

I think Aldo might get upset by Hominick. I thought Hominick looked as good as anyone I've seen against Roop, absolutely killer. Aldo's a monster but I think he'll get picked apart & dropped. The Lyoto/Randy one comes down to whether Couture can control Machida against the cage IMO. My original thought was that Randy would try & take the fight the way he did against Brandon Vera, basically clinching & winning points for 3 rounds. I've read very little about Couture's camp for this fight? If Machida can keep the distance between them then I think he'll get the win, as you say, with his top-notch counter striking.

what time UK time will the prelims start?

The Facebook fights are on at 11pm I think. Spike prelims are on ESPN at 1am followed by the main card right after :thumbsup:

Might be 10.30pm as there are 5 prelims and they usually allow 30mins per fight.

• Paid Members

I seriously can't wait for Aldo/Hominick. Seems like everywhere but here is predicting an easy Aldo demolition job. I'm picking Aldo but I can see it being a tough fight.

I see Aldo finishing him though within 3 rounds. Think Hominick might have slightly better technique but I'd give Aldo the edge in power and speed and can see him catching him. Plus if it somehow winds up on the floor Aldo has the edge there too. He should win this but stranger things have happened.

• Paid Members
what time UK time will the prelims start?

The Facebook fights are on at 11pm I think. Spike prelims are on ESPN at 1am followed by the main card right after :thumbsup:

Might be 10.30pm as there are 5 prelims and they usually allow 30mins per fight.

Could be yeah. Most places have it down as a 6pm ET start which I think is 11pm our time but you could be right, trying to squeeze 5 fights into less than 2 hours sounds a bit unlikely.

• Paid Members

nah it sounds about right, remember they dont fuck around with TV or anything in between, they just happen back to back...having been to a live show they basically have a couple of mins break between each fight.

• Paid Members

Yeah it depends on how the fights end. At UFC 89 most of the prelims went the distance so there was hardly any time between fights. I remember seeing Shane Carwin coming down the aisle with no entrance music as Bruce Buffer was announcing the winner of the previous fight, cos they were up against it time wise.

But when I went to UFC 80 there were loads of quick finishes which meant there was some time to kill between fights.

I've got a bet on Ellenberger, Randy, Vlad and Aldo. I'm really unsure about the Randy fight, I thought he was going to win it by decision, but the closer it gets the more I think he's gonna get knocked out. But the bet is on anyway!

• Paid Members

I got some small bets on Shields via submission at 9/1 and a 6 accumulator on the favourites which pays ok. Probably never gonna happen though :) really looking forward to this show. I can't wait to watch a UFC event with such a massive live audience. It's really gonna be something.

• Paid Members
I've got a bet on Ellenberger, Randy, Vlad and Aldo. I'm really unsure about the Randy fight, I thought he was going to win it by decision, but the closer it gets the more I think he's gonna get knocked out. But the bet is on anyway!

If i was putting a bet on, them 4 are probably the 4 id drop the cash on as well...what odds you get?

Archived