UFC 129: St Pierre vs Shields Discussion Thread

David

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was hoping we would get the Patrick and Garza fights on Facebook, so one out of two isn't bad. Not that i'd of complained whichever ones we got though, I love all the extra fights we get to see on fight nights these days.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

who's watched the fights on facebook? i only watchde the KID/Johnson fight and the stream was pretty lousy. Anyone had better experience? I'll try this next week though cause im staying up for it.

who's watched the fights on facebook? i only watchde the KID/Johnson fight and the stream was pretty lousy. Anyone had better experience? I'll try this next week though cause im staying up for it.

I've watched all the fights they've shown on Facebook and never once had a problem.

As soon as you put it on its kinda blurry but after about 30 seconds (where its trying to configure your connection) it turns into pretty much HD quality. I was actually surprised how clear it was for being on Facebook.

If it continues to be blurry all during the fights, it may be your connection that is the problem.

I've watched them all and never had a problem.

Great news we're getting all 5 prelims. I read not long ago they were going to give us every fight on all the cards soon, so this should happen all the time now hopefully.

This weeks Primetime show just shows what an incredible athlete GSP really is, the mixture of his training styles are superb - I agree with him aswell that more fighters should try Gymnastics to improve their technique.

Also, I didn't realise Jake Shields dad is Willie Nelson.

• Paid Members

I've watched all the fights they've shown on Facebook and never once had a problem.

As soon as you put it on its kinda blurry but after about 30 seconds (where its trying to configure your connection) it turns into pretty much HD quality. I was actually surprised how clear it was for being on Facebook.

If it continues to be blurry all during the fights, it may be your connection that is the problem.

cool thanks man, you've convinced me to give it another shot.

My thing with the facebook fights are, if you watch em all then they slot a prelim into the PPV, it doesn't feel like your getting that 'extra' fight thing during the broadcast which is always nice...makes for a piss break though i suppose.

I'm gonna watch the whole thing, fuck it.

Can't remember seeing this reported elsewhere, but from the lastest issue of the Observer.

Randy Couture, who holds the UFC record with five different championship reigns in two different weight classes, announced on 4/19 that he would be hanging up the gloves after his UFC 129 fight with Lyoto Machida at the Rogers Centre in Toronto.

I know Shields is this great submissions guy and has a 15 fight win streak, but I can't take him as a serious threat to GSP, maybe that's why I'm not as amped for this event as ones past. Shield's debut against Kampmann just ruined any anticipation I could have for this fight. Seeing Aldo fight for the first time will be great, as well as (possibly) Couture's last fight. Pity they haven't being promoting those that much. Also, looking at Wiki (it normally is great for this stuff), Matyushenko vs Brilz is listed as after Couture vs Machida in the card placement. Seems ridiculous considering that could main event a PPV by itself without the title fights. Think I'll have to watch some past fights to get in the mood.

• Paid Members
I know Shields is this great submissions guy and has a 15 fight win streak, but I can't take him as a serious threat to GSP, maybe that's why I'm not as amped for this event as ones past. Shield's debut against Kampmann just ruined any anticipation I could have for this fight. Seeing Aldo fight for the first time will be great, as well as (possibly) Couture's last fight. Pity they haven't being promoting those that much. Also, looking at Wiki (it normally is great for this stuff), Matyushenko vs Brilz is listed as after Couture vs Machida in the card placement. Seems ridiculous considering that could main event a PPV by itself without the title fights. Think I'll have to watch some past fights to get in the mood.

Machida/Couture will be above Brilz/Vlad. They sometimes bill the fights this way, but the higher profile fight usually ends up on top (I can't remember why they do this exactly but Ariel addressed it on the MMa hour this week)

• Paid Members

Watching Primetime has reinforced the thinking about how much the Martin Kampmann fight damaged the potential for this fight. If Jake Shields had come in direct to the UFC and fought GSP this thing would be mindblowing right now...but as Shields looked so bad, the odds are ridiculous and no one really thinks Shields has a chance. If you look before the Kampmann fight, this thing is pretty mouthwatering on paper, Shields record is not to be sniffed, the quality of opposition in his win streak is arguably the best in MMA, maybe even better than GSP's.

having said that, i still wouldn't be surprised if GSP dominates him, if GSP does though it'll just confirm that he is on a whole other level to anyone esle.

Archived