UFC 129: St Pierre vs Shields Discussion Thread

David

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I think he did start out quite aggressive you could see that in the way he moved. He was also throwing a looping right overhand that he doesn't normally throw looking for a homerun hit. I think it was the problem with the eye that really ended it though. After that he played it safe. Shields was having more luck on his feet than anyone really expected and I don't think GSP is that type of guy to take any risks.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

When you watch Randy being Ko'ed from the right angle you can see the bits of Randys tooth fly out, Enjoyed last night GSP main priority is to keep the title and that has showed in his last fight's, nothing wrong with that I suppose. I would like to see GSP vs Condit now if he gets threw Kim.

• Paid Members

Just seen this on Joe Lauzons Twitter

@JoeLauzon And my favorite quote from #UFC129 was Seagal to @DanaWhite as he shook his fingers in his face after Lyoto/Randy: "Thats number 2!"

• Paid Members
If the ref/doctor knew that GSP could not see out of his left eye, would they have stopped the fight? He kept mentioning it in between rounds and I was thinking that he should really not be mentioning it.

Telling your corner you can't see and telling the doctor are 2 totally different things. If the doctor had asked him he probably would have just said he was fine

If the ref/doctor knew that GSP could not see out of his left eye, would they have stopped the fight? He kept mentioning it in between rounds and I was thinking that he should really not be mentioning it.

Telling your corner you can't see and telling the doctor are 2 totally different things. If the doctor had asked him he probably would have just said he was fine

I agree, but the doctor/ref could have easily overheard. The doctor would have then done the test by covering the right eye and asking how many fingers he was holding up, which GSP wouldn't have been able to do.

• Paid Members

Yeah, can see where you're coming from but the mics pick up a lot more than the ref and doctor can hear. Im sure he would have been very concious of making sure neither of them heard. He eye was a mess though

Another GSP main event, and another completely dominant display by him. Shields never looked like winning the fight, and that was basically because he couldn't take the man down.

There was a round or so where things got interesting because GSP claimed he couldn't see out of his eye, but even then Shields had nothing for him.

The big question now is, what next? Does he move up for a fight with Silva? I don't think he sounded overly optimistic about it. What about Nick Diaz? Can that fight happen at present?

In the co-main event I felt that Aldo looked slightly supect. I went into this fight considering Aldo to be somewhat unbeatable, but he looked human in this fight. Chad Mendes is apparently next in line.

All in all, and excellent night of fights in my opinion.

Just finished watching it there and it was a really good show from the prelims up till the main event which was shite as usual lately with GSP fights

I dont know why Shields wasnt bothering with take downs when he's so good, the same happened with Koscheck they both seemed to choke and I reckon Shields would of beat GSP if he took him down in the last 2

Machida's finish was straight from the karate kid I went fuckin mental when he pulled that off haha and Hominick's face was an absolute clip yet he kept on going and could of won in the 5th.. GSP needs to learn from him and stop bitching about his eye as that fella looked like the elephant man and came back strong

If GSP agrees to fight Silva ( which I dont think he will ) then I can see him getting knocked the fuck out

It was a great show from top to bottom. It started off with great fights in the prelims and it carried through onto the main show. A couple of great knockouts from Machida and Makdessi. I thought Makdessi had the KO of the night award in the bag with his spinning back fist until Machida turned up with that cracker.

I was happy to see Henderson and Vlad pick up wins, I like both of them. It was also satisfying to see Diaz get thrown around.

Hominicks head was sick, I was suprised they let him carry on. He did himself proud though, it was a great fight.

The GSP fight was alright for the first two rounds, except for the fact that when GSP did rock Shields he didn't want to commit to finishing the fight. After he hurt his eye the fight was basically over, he played it pretty safe from then on. Can't really blame him, it's just frustrating knowing he could finish most guys but would rather plod his way to a decision.

I dont know why Shields wasnt bothering with take downs when he's so good, the same happened with Koscheck they both seemed to choke and I reckon Shields would of beat GSP if he took him down in the last 2

Don't you think if it was simply a case of taking him down in the last two rounds that both Koscheck & Shields would have done so?

St Pierre has a stellar takedown defence. It was practically impossible for Shields to get past that jab, so he couldn't get a hold of the guy. I think GSP put in another top class performance, completely dominating his opponent.

• Paid Members

my thoughts (finally):

* Initially i was a little disappointed with GSP, there's no denying it was a poor main event on an excellent show...but i'll give GSP a pass after hearing about the extent of the eye injury. During the fight i was getting pretty frustrated at GSP's safety-first style, he did throw some pretty uncharacteristicly wild stuff but he wasn't getting that much success though...the eye injury fucked it up though, GSP basically went into survival mode, so he stayed safe. The fact that he won so comfortably is another testament to how good he is, he's on another level.

As for Jake Shields, he's never gonna get a better chance to beat GSP and he blew it. Shields blew it. He seemed to have a total lack of belief in his takedowns, everyone's fear that the only way he could win was to get GSP on his back was realised early and Shields was never gonna win the standup...he's gonna be kicking himself now.

God knows what GSP does now? there's just no fights left for him at 170 in the UFC...well there are, but there's no fights that anyone wants to see. He's beaten all the contenders yet them same contenders keep putting themselves back in line for another shot. The only fight im interested in at the moment is GSP/Diaz, hopefully Dana can sort that shit out.

* Aldo/Hominick was an epic. Both guys came out winners for me. When Hominick came back in the round 5 i almost lost my shit, great stuff...it almost felt as if Aldo let Hominck do it, but Aldo proved that he's got the metal in there as well, he was in a tough spot and he got through. Great advert for 145! You know it's a good fight when you worry when the doctors come in, i was pleading for them not to stop it, great stuff.

* Matyushenko/Brilz...everyone was a little worried about this one sucking it up, but i dont think anyone expecting Matyushenko to blow Brilz out like this. I though the stoppage was early at first but the replays proved me wrong. Not sure where Matyshenko goes though, he's 5-1 in the his last 6 UFC fights so he really should be in the mix but i don't think he ever will be. I'm always hoping they'll set up Matyushenko/Lil Nog 3 cause i always like to see a score settled. They could do Machida/Matyushenko though? 205 is pretty stacked and everyone has fights, maybe they'll see this as another chance for Machida to gain some momentum.

* Couture/Machida...what's to say? i think it was apparent early that it wasn't gonna be Randy's night. The speeds difference was evident and Randy couldn't put a glove on Lyoto. The finish was unbelievable, for him to do the same thing as Anderson with Seagal there was pure movie stuff, wild. In a strange way i think it was a great way for Randy to go out, maybe not being KO'd but he took on a guy who a year ago was being talked of as the p4p best and he came up short. Randy's career has been made on taking these big challenges so it was a fitting way to go out. Had to love Machida's post fight interview too, all class...he put the spotlight on Randy and he didn't need too, great stuff.

* Bocek/Henderson was a cracking opener. I expected Henderson to win a decision, just felt he'd outwork Bocek, Henderson is a hard guy to beat, relentless pressure and he just seems to always come out on top in a scramble. Ben Henderson is gonna be a star, he's got that look about him, he's got the hair, tattoo's and stuff he's the kind of person casual fans will remember cause of his unique look...chuck in his nack for having exciting fights and i think it's a no brainer. Bocek will dust himself off and come back.

* MacDonald/Diaz, excellent stuff. The tri-fecta suplexes was arguably the moment of the night. I think most people were picking Diaz here, never for me though...Rory pretty much dominated Carlos Condit for 2 and a half round in their fight so i had no doubts that he was gonna school Nate Diaz. Nate Diaz inconsistency is becoming a bit of a problem though, he's 0-2 now so he could be on his last legs, reckon he'll be cut after 3 losses?

Excellent show from start up until the main event, but like i said earlier, the injury didn't help. All the prelims were outstanding too.

Archived