UFC 129: St Pierre vs Shields Discussion Thread

David

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did anyone else's Sky Plus recording finish half way through the main event? I thought there was a big issue if you went long on a PPV slot in the States as it's an automatic 3 hour slot (UFC and WCW fucked up on that account in the past) - presume things are different these days.

Yes mine did - massively pissed off as out all day and got up at a horrific hour this morning to watch.

Brilliant.

Interesting article about the event and sport.

Can't say I disagree despite being a massive fan since UFC 2. At its essence it is all of those things.

Thats possibly the worst MMA article I have read in 10 years.

"The UFC spectacle has been called human cock-fighting and it's a valid opinion.

This event had all the polish of a Super Bowl but in many regards it was no different than a club fight night in south Boston or on the north side of Chicago."

Utter stupidity.

Cracking event last night outside the awful main event. Highlights for me were MacDonald doing rolling germans on Diaz and the Hominick\Aldo war.

Did anyone else's Sky Plus recording finish half way through the main event? I thought there was a big issue if you went long on a PPV slot in the States as it's an automatic 3 hour slot (UFC and WCW fucked up on that account in the past) - presume things are different these days.

I watched it live and it was well after 5am before the show finished, so it's no suprise the recording failed. The upside is you missed fuck all of any interest.

• Paid Members

Yeah mine cut off going into the 3rd of the main even too. Downloaded it just now and watched the remains. Really enjoyed that show, it definatley had a 'big time feel' about it.

Shields was completely lost in the first 3 rounds, settled down a little toward the end but overall had no way of beating GSP. I think the eye problem really killed the fight, I thought we were seeing a very aggressive GSP early on that really wanted the finish it seemed, but that all dissapeared when his eye got damaged. Safe from there inwards. Diaz next please.

Aldo/Hominick was crazy. Hominick got some huge suds. Horrible swelling that was. I thought he was gonna stop Aldo in the last round too, edge of your seat stuff. They got nice

Christ. Poor bastard.

Really fun show even if the main event was a bit dull. It had a big fight feel to it and it's rare to see GSP in peril so I didn't think it was too bad.

Did Joe Rogan really say that Shields once lost 20lbs in ONE DAY? How the fuck is that possible?

Cousin Jim Bob - I'd politely disagree. The older I get the more I agree in many ways MMA's appeal is exactly the same for the majority of people as a tear up down the York Hall or indeed less legal past times. It frustrates me when people deny that. A lot of fans appreciate the submissions etc but at's it core is something a bit darker. Any past time where you end up looking like Hominick did last night (and then making an emotional message to your expectant partner) or being retired with your teeth in pieces like Couture is something relatively dark. Doesn't stop me liking it partially for those reasons but I think that writer nailed an objective outsider's legitimate observations.

• Paid Members

glad i didnt watch the prelims live now, they always end up cramming em into the broadcast if they can...only missed 1 fight last night, so unless there's something i really wanna see, i'll go down the route of hoping they show em in future. If they don't i can always get hold of the fights the next day.

• Paid Members
Christ. Poor bastard.

Really fun show even if the main event was a bit dull. It had a big fight feel to it and it's rare to see GSP in peril so I didn't think it was too bad.

Did Joe Rogan really say that Shields once lost 20lbs in ONE DAY? How the fuck is that possible?

glad i didnt watch the prelims live now, they always end up cramming em into the broadcast if they can...only missed 1 fight last night, so unless there's something i really wanna see, i'll go down the route of hoping they show em in future. If they don't i can always get hold of the fights the next day.

basically by sweating out all the water in your body, it aint healthy.

One hell of an evening with some really good fights although St-Pierre was his usual boring self at least shields tried more than Koscheck. Very odd to imagine this but had Shields done slightly better in one round the judges could have given him the win. I certainly think when the time come Hominick could get a rematch and win and i believe if he had taken Aldo down earlier in the fight then that ground and pound would KO'd Aldo.

Christ. Poor bastard.

basically by sweating out all the water in your body, it aint healthy.

It all depends on how you rehydrate. If done right it works very effectively.

I don't get all the GSP hate. Up until he hurt his eye he was landing some heavy right hands and wobbled Shields a few times.

Enjoyed seeing Diaz get launched, he irritates me so much and always has a stupid look on his face.

Hominicks head was pretty foul, was suprised they let the fight continue. I can't have been the only one who wanted to see what would have happened if it had popped :p

Sad to see Randy lose but that was an awesome kick. Randy just had no answer for Machidas counter strikes.

I don't get all the GSP hate. Up until he hurt his eye he was landing some heavy right hands and wobbled Shields a few times.

My problem is nowadays when he does stun or hurt somebody standing, he never swarms them or follows up with shots on the ground. He just goes back to the jab and occasional right hand\kick. Its effective thats for sure and keeps him out of trouble but being infront of 55'000 of his fans I was hoping for much more of the aggression he was promising.

Archived