Lex Luger

Snitsky's back acne

Watching some old NWA/WCW and seen a young, motivated Lex Luger.

Have to say I like the late 80's/very early 90's Luger. He had some good matches with guys like Flair, Steamboat, Pillman, Hansen and others and certainly had 'the look'.

Aside from his initial interview at WrestleMania 8 ['see what just a few days off the Snickers bar can do'] I hated his entire WWF run.

His return to WCW and subsequent run up to 1998 I would also say was pretty decent.

So, what do people think of 'The Total Package'? Rate him or hate him?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I refuse to watch any of his older NWA/WcW stuff for fear I might have to watch his abortion of a piledriver.

Joking aside, for some reason I was sucked into watching him chase Hogan for the WcW title and was really into it, just because I liked seeing WcW try and repel the Order and wanted someone to batter Hogan. I lost interest once Sting came back, and in terms of delivering decent matches I think Lex did too.

Man I loved him, apart from his WWF run, I don't know what happened there...he was a rubbish face.

But his Horsemen, US Title, World Title and return to WCW were all great, for a guy that was never a really stellar wrestler, he had a fantastic career and while not always putting on classics, he was certainly a great strong/powerhouse type main eventer.

...I even liked Totally Buff :(

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'd say I was a Luger fan. Came to know him as the sometimes tag partner of Sting, but then hated him (in a, he was a heel doing his job well, not hating the performer because I wasn't a fan) during his run in late WCW as a heel, teaming with the likes of Flair and Buff.

• Paid Members
Watching some old NWA/WCW and seen a young, motivated Lex Luger.

Have to say I like the late 80's/very early 90's Luger. He had some good matches with guys like Flair, Steamboat, Pillman, Hansen and others and certainly had 'the look'.

This, this so much. I love Luger back then. I fucking love all his matches with Flair, its just an ace coupling and Luger play its perfect next to flair.

I liked him as the narcissus in WWF, and his initial late 93 face bit but after that I couldn't care until he's back in WCW chasing Hogan in mid 97. The rest I have no feeling about one way or the other.

He was good in NWA/WCW from about 1988 to early 1991. He seemed to go downhill after winning the world title for whatever reason. After that, not much good at all. Never rated him in the WWF at all, and not really in WCW after he went back there, even though he was over.

• Moderators

Him racking the world in 1997 was incredible. He was probably my favourite wrestler at that time in hindsight. Fuck Stone Cold and HBK, I wanted to see Lex Luger get his hands on Hogan. And when he did in Detroit in '97, it was fucking terrific.

I loved the Narcissist, his entrance was great, from the music to the full length mirrors. As a kid in school, I thought Luger looked the dogs bollocks and plus I hated Perfect back then as I thought he was a cocky sod.

I was about 10 and everyone in school was into WWF, two of the most talked about things at the time were Lugers metal plate and then him bodyslamming Yoko (that was a Hulk/Andre moment for kids in 93). He went a bit west after that and everyone started loving HBK or Bret although I did enjoy him teaming with Bulldog.

• Paid Members

I always regretted not seeing more Luger than I have. His WWF run was pretty bad - great as the Narcissist, really made me hate him, but I never really got behind him as a face (when you have a left-wing, Muslim dad, you don't really tend to gravitate towards American heroes - part of the reason why I didn't like Hogan all that much either at the time).

But I did get a chance to watch his anti-nWo crusade, and even though I knew it had happened years ago and that he's now a wrecked shell, I still marked out when I watched it. He was a fiery fucker, was Lex. Also (and I'm aware I may be in the minority), I rather liked his Team Package gimmick - it was like a state-of-the-art, modern update of the "Superstar" Billy Graham character, with all the franchising and trappings of wealth and success a guy like Graham would've got if he'd been around today. Even though Hogan based his gimmick directly on Graham, I'd say Luger was much closer to the original, and pulled it off with great aplomb.

Archived