Lex Luger

Snitsky's back acne

Thinking about it for the first time to be honest, what Luger lacked was that one killer promo or line that would've made him really strike a chord with the masses. He had all the other ingredients to be a star, he was just missing that one key part on the mic, a catchphrase or a buzzword or something to make up for his lack of natural mic ability.

His best promo work came in the run up to SuperBrawl Saturday....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Lex Luger was my first ever favourite wrestler. I started watching as the nwo turned up but hadn't really understood exactly what was going on for some time until after hogan had turned. Then as time went on, when he was the main Wcw guy against them, I absolutely loved him. He torture racked the world and sent the nwo running scared whilst that bugger sting was hanging around in the rafters. When he told Hogan that he was the number 1 contender and then racked him on that nitro for the belt it was such a big moment. Washing the nwo letters off, the locker room coming out to celebrate with him, just amazing.

Lex was fine, he is one of those guys who gets a bad rap from people who either haven't seen enough of his career or from the type of fan who thought at the time Sick Nick Mondo is better because he did moonsaults and never changed that opinion.

I rather liked his initial WWF character although I'm in the minority there. When he took out Bret Hart on the day of Wrestlemania 9, I'm surprised they didn't have a lengthy feud. The matches they had around that time period were rather good, and Luger would have really benefited from being married with Bret for a while.

Come 1995, specifically Wrestlemania 11, I think they both would have benefited from being paired together. They were both wasted at that years show, so a heel Luger (or even just a face Luger wanting to know who the better man was stemming from the 94 Rumble and potential Mania X match which didn't happen) going against Bret in 1995 would have been brilliant.

As a kid I never liked Lex Luger during his WWF run, it was not until late 96 and throughout 97 when he was one of the main faces to go against the nWo in WCW that I began to appreciate him. When he won the World Heavyweight Championship in late 97 from Hogan on an episode of Nitro it seemed like a huge deal at the time. That was the peak of Lex Luger for me. His entrance music in this era was also fantastic.

Going back to his WWF run, he was doomed with the All-American gimmick. In fairness to him I think most people would

• Paid Members
The prospect of Diesel vs. Lex Luger at Summerslam 95 sounds much better to me than Diesel vs. Mabel.

Funnily enough even after Diesel was given the title and big babyface push, Vince had continuously told Lex he was going to get his turn at the top. Being written into the finish of that match was presumably part of trying to convince Luger that he was a main event player, even though his next feud was obviously chalked up to be Bulldog, and you have to imagine the brand new heel would have gone over to ready him for Diesel. Lex must have seen the writing on the wall when the Allied Powers were thrown together, but the way that split happened likely would have convinced even the most patient of superstar "it's not happening, is it?"

Archived