Lex Luger

Snitsky's back acne

To be honest, I never liked anything that Luger did in WWF. I thought the Narcissist was shit as well as the All-American gimmick he did after that. I think my favourite WWF moment involving Lex was when Bulldog turned on him ending their Allied Powers tag team.

That said, I enjoyed his WCW run from the stuff I've seen between 89-91. Though he was probably carried by others during that period. I haven't really seen any pre-89 Lex (except from the Brody thing) so I can't really comment on it. As for his post-WWF WCW run from 1995 onwards I was never really into him, but I was a huge smark back then and it was all about workrate and shit like that for me.

I'm not nostalgic for Lex Luger so I'm not going to go back and watch his second WCW run, but if I did then he'd probably be pretty damn good by todays standards. But there again, is that really an attestment to the ability of Lex Luger? Or is it a damnation of how shitty wrestling has gotten?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also thought the Narcissist was crap and didnt rate Lex at all in WWF, but I did like him in WCW especially when he was managed by Harley Race. The times he teamed with sting was also some good stuff especially that match they had with the steiners, great stuff

Lastly I really liked the torture rack, a good finisher that he could put on anyone, with the exception of yokozuna.

In my opinion, the career of Buff Bagwell peaked in the period between his initial heel-turn and the return from his injury at the hands of Rick Steiner. Anything after that was just...meh. His tag team with Luger was just plain boring, not a patch on Vicious and Delicious, or his association with Scott Steiner.

• Paid Members
To be honest, I never liked anything that Luger did in WWF. I thought the Narcissist was shit as well as the All-American gimmick he did after that. I think my favourite WWF moment involving Lex was when Bulldog turned on him ending their Allied Powers tag team.

That moment didn't happen.

Bulldog turned on Diesel during a Raw that Luger didnt make it to. They advertised a Luger interview for an upcoming episode of Superstars where he would talk about Bulldog and the situation (their team seemingly up in the air) but by the time it would have aired, Lex had already turned up on Nitro.

• Moderators
In my opinion, the career of Buff Bagwell peaked in the period between his initial heel-turn and the return from his injury at the hands of Rick Steiner. Anything after that was just...meh. His tag team with Luger was just plain boring, not a patch on Vicious and Delicious, or his association with Scott Steiner.

NO!

He was shite as a face in 1999, but Buff Bagwell was a quality heel from 1997-2001, and he needs a second look.

• Paid Members

Totally Buff were on a roll before WCW went under. They looked superb and retired Goldberg, so they were as over as heels as Steiner was at the time. His team with Scott Norton and his alliance with Scott Steiner was the highlight of a lot of Nitros (sometimes the only highlight). Strangly enough, I enjoyed most of Bagwell's work, expect his face run. He seemed to forced. He looked like George Michael doing an impression of The Rock doing an impression of Rick Rude on a Butlins holiday camp show.

Totally Buff were on a roll before WCW went under. They looked superb and retired Goldberg, so they were as over as heels as Steiner was at the time. His team with Scott Norton and his alliance with Scott Steiner was the highlight of a lot of Nitros (sometimes the only highlight). Strangly enough, I enjoyed most of Bagwell's work, expect his face run. He seemed to forced. He looked like George Michael doing an impression of The Rock doing an impression of Rick Rude on a Butlins holiday camp show.

yeah to be honest this stuff was unexpectedly enjoyable, and was enjoyable. As you say often the only thing that was on a Nitro that visibly had the wheels falling off!

• 2 years later...
  • Paid Members

Bumping this thread because I've been watching a lot of Luger recently.

His WWF run wasn't bad at all - in fact, he had a bunch of great matches during that run. Just watched a match he had with Diesel for the IC title in July 1994 and it's an absolute belter, even if it had a predictably clusterfuck ending.

(part 1)

(part 2)

I don't think he was a rubbish face - he wasn't the best, but he still was pretty good. I think overall the guy deserves more credit but not just for his early NWA / WCW stuff.

Archived